Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-26-2013, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Compactors for Skids and CTL's...which do you use?

I am concidering adding a compactor for my TL130 this year. I have used a roller type in the past, but i also tried an Allied plate compactor, but didn't care for it too much. The Allied seemed to shake the entire machine and was difficult to control. But the dealer told me i need to be sure and run my TL130 WIDE OPEN, when running the Allied. The roller style compactors have worked fine for me in the past, and thats what i am leaning towards.
Any thoughts or advice would be great.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would like one of these as well. It would be nice to at times use an attachment rather than haul a twin drum around all the time. I hear a lot of how the roller attachments cant keep seals and bearings in them. That sounds like a common problem with all of them except for MBW. The MBW is nice, has a knock down blade, but wow its expensive.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

The roller compactor, that I currently rent, belongs to a friend of mine. He bought it for around $5k....shortly after getting it, the sells and bearings went out of it, and he spent about $3500.00 to rebuild it. I am not sure how long they last, but maybe I better look into the Allied plate style compactor some more.....or, possibly skip that idea all together, and get a compactor for my Kobelco 35sr instead.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've been using a Bobcat brand smooth 48" roller since 2001. It still crushes rocks and does a good job compacting everything from caliche to crushed base. I have replaced the seals once and it was still working just barely had a drip. I grease it faithfully every 5 hours and no bearing problems yet.. It's heavy at about 1900 lbs but not too heavy and I think it puts out 3 tons of force. The newer ones are stronger.
I have used a twin drum side by side and this roller performed well in comparison. the only drawback is it doesn't cover the width of most machines and though a wider version is available, I didn't want to haul that extra weight and not see that much more compaction performance.

If I had to do it over again, I'd get a roller with a blade on the front. I'm probably going to have something like that fabricated. Nothing more irritating when compacting than to find something you missed on the last grade or on a slope having your tires dig in. I've seen rollers with a knockdown blade that could be tilted and backdragged so you can continue compacting without having to go put a bucket or landplane on your machine.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-27-2013, 04:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use an 84" Bradco sheeps foot because you can still get away with compacting clean sand with it. The wall I did last year that was 25' tall had 3000 tons of sand behind it that was all compacted with the T770 and Bradco 84".

Our proctor results were 98-100% all the way up with select granular. Plus you feel a lot more planted in a CTL with that up front than a 16k pound roller.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I have to stay away from a sheeps foot style roller, because i finish roll sand and gravel for concrete and paving. i currently have a Bomag plate compactor with a Hatz diesel. Its a great compactor, but for doing large areas its prettyl slow. Its best in and around garages, porches and so on. It will pound about 24" at a time.