Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2013, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where in the hell are you finding these deals? Those prices you listed i cant find anything except trucks from around 06 and older. Especially that diesel, i mean 7.3s with that many miles people want around 18-20k around here. 6.4s are still around 32k plus. I would jump on those price

BTW, its being technical but the ford short beds are 6.75 not 6.5 =) Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Of a ford i would only consider 2005+ for better trans ,suspension, interior . Beyond that I would choose a 350 over 250 to stay within legal manufacturers towing/ payload limits when u hog it out. A 8 foot bed can certainly help at times also. Consider maintenance costs, likely repair costs, any warranty on any of them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
Where in the hell are you finding these deals? Those prices you listed i cant find anything except trucks from around 06 and older. Especially that diesel, i mean 7.3s with that many miles people want around 18-20k around here. 6.4s are still around 32k plus. I would jump on those price

BTW, its being technical but the ford short beds are 6.75 not 6.5 =) Posted via Mobile Device
hours and hours of cars.com autotrader.com commercialtrucktrader.com truckpaper.com ebay.com craigslist.org.

All these sites have a couple of these trucks. Anything i should be aware of with the 6.4L diesels with 60k miles on them?

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-26-2013, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
They are all 4x4. Just wanted to stay away from higher monthly payments since I just paid my other truck off. Or another option is a 2003 f350 with a brand new 8 ft bed and hoist with 100k on a v10. For $10k
I love my V10 but the 03's have a weaker transmission and less power. They are thirsty buggers.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I made up my mind. After talking to dealerships all day, i found a dealership on Chicago that has a f350X XLT supercab with an 8foot bed. 6.4L engine. Carpet Interior(i prefer) power everything.

Its white, with 63k miles. He was asking 14,500 for it, i offered 13,900. I am not sure when i am going to pick it up, but it will be in the next two weeks. I might buy a 5.4L exact same truck, for 9k and bring it back to michigan and sell it for a bit more on ebay. Who knows

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-26-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at a truck just like that one, a 2010 F350 supercab 8 foot bed with 85k miles on it a couple months ago. It was one of the better priced ones i could find, it was still 35k. That seems like a smoking deal for 14.5k, I would jump on it even if he doesnt budge.

On a second thought, I would be better off flying somewhere to buy a truck and driving it back
Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
hours and hours of cars.com autotrader.com commercialtrucktrader.com truckpaper.com ebay.com craigslist.org.

All these sites have a couple of these trucks. Anything i should be aware of with the 6.4L diesels with 60k miles on them?
I am not sure if you are familiar with either Ford-trucks.com or thedieselstop.com, but they have tons and tons of extremely helpful information. There are a few things to be concerned about with these trucks but they know allll about them inside and out and exactly how to fix them. The 6.4 can be an extremely good engine.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I am not sure if you are familiar with either Ford-trucks.com or thedieselstop.com, but they have tons and tons of extremely helpful information. There are a few things to be concerned about with these trucks but they know allll about them inside and out and exactly how to fix them. The 6.4 can be an extremely good engine.
thanks for the info. I have actually read a lot about theses engines the last couple of hours and pretty much all the info is on one of those two sites.

I have a DFP delete kit on my "watched" list on ebay, as well as XLT headlights, Towing mirrors with side lights, and a set of recon LED amber clearance lights. I already have fog lights for them when i ordered my last bumper for my dump truck. So if i get the truck, i will be in about 15k when all said and done, and then i will be able to most likely sell if if i wanted to for around 25-30k with all the improvements i will have done.

p.s. I mis spoke on my last post about the truck. Its an XL with XLT interior power (power locks and windows, and MP3/CD)

As the time goes on the list of updates never stops:
-Leather lariat seats
-chrome grille
-Leveling Kit
-Air Bags
-3" suspension lift
-Bed Liner/Line X
-Dump Insert
-EGR Delete and Tuner
-New Rubber and Rims

But for now, its a work truck. I can make the updates after i pay the truck off this year!

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-26-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I looked at a truck just like that one, a 2010 F350 supercab 8 foot bed with 85k miles on it a couple months ago. It was one of the better priced ones i could find, it was still 35k. That seems like a smoking deal for 14.5k, I would jump on it even if he doesnt budge.

On a second thought, I would be better off flying somewhere to buy a truck and driving it back

Thats what i am doing. Truck is in chicago. I am going to take a train to Chicago on thursday of this week, pick up the truck friday morning and drive to indianapolis to go to the MSU sweet 16 game. At leased thats the ideal plan if i hear back from the bank by tomorrow. (i doubt it though)

Insured and Licensed
Old 04-01-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Get a truck bought yet?

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000