Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 03-26-2013, 01:11 AM
JDGlandscape's Avatar
JDGlandscape JDGlandscape is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 415
Where in the hell are you finding these deals? Those prices you listed i cant find anything except trucks from around 06 and older. Especially that diesel, i mean 7.3s with that many miles people want around 18-20k around here. 6.4s are still around 32k plus. I would jump on those price

BTW, its being technical but the ford short beds are 6.75 not 6.5 =) Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 AM
jbturf jbturf is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: groton, MA
Posts: 1,304
Of a ford i would only consider 2005+ for better trans ,suspension, interior . Beyond that I would choose a 350 over 250 to stay within legal manufacturers towing/ payload limits when u hog it out. A 8 foot bed can certainly help at times also. Consider maintenance costs, likely repair costs, any warranty on any of them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-26-2013, 02:13 PM
DLONGLANDSCAPING DLONGLANDSCAPING is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Birmingham,MI
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
Where in the hell are you finding these deals? Those prices you listed i cant find anything except trucks from around 06 and older. Especially that diesel, i mean 7.3s with that many miles people want around 18-20k around here. 6.4s are still around 32k plus. I would jump on those price

BTW, its being technical but the ford short beds are 6.75 not 6.5 =) Posted via Mobile Device
hours and hours of cars.com autotrader.com commercialtrucktrader.com truckpaper.com ebay.com craigslist.org.

All these sites have a couple of these trucks. Anything i should be aware of with the 6.4L diesels with 60k miles on them?
__________________

Insured and Licensed
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-26-2013, 03:31 PM
MDLawn MDLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
They are all 4x4. Just wanted to stay away from higher monthly payments since I just paid my other truck off. Or another option is a 2003 f350 with a brand new 8 ft bed and hoist with 100k on a v10. For $10k
I love my V10 but the 03's have a weaker transmission and less power. They are thirsty buggers.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-26-2013, 03:36 PM
DLONGLANDSCAPING DLONGLANDSCAPING is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Birmingham,MI
Posts: 1,379
I made up my mind. After talking to dealerships all day, i found a dealership on Chicago that has a f350X XLT supercab with an 8foot bed. 6.4L engine. Carpet Interior(i prefer) power everything.

Its white, with 63k miles. He was asking 14,500 for it, i offered 13,900. I am not sure when i am going to pick it up, but it will be in the next two weeks. I might buy a 5.4L exact same truck, for 9k and bring it back to michigan and sell it for a bit more on ebay. Who knows
__________________

Insured and Licensed
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-26-2013, 08:56 PM
JDGlandscape's Avatar
JDGlandscape JDGlandscape is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 415
I looked at a truck just like that one, a 2010 F350 supercab 8 foot bed with 85k miles on it a couple months ago. It was one of the better priced ones i could find, it was still 35k. That seems like a smoking deal for 14.5k, I would jump on it even if he doesnt budge.

On a second thought, I would be better off flying somewhere to buy a truck and driving it back
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 PM
JDGlandscape's Avatar
JDGlandscape JDGlandscape is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
hours and hours of cars.com autotrader.com commercialtrucktrader.com truckpaper.com ebay.com craigslist.org.

All these sites have a couple of these trucks. Anything i should be aware of with the 6.4L diesels with 60k miles on them?
I am not sure if you are familiar with either Ford-trucks.com or thedieselstop.com, but they have tons and tons of extremely helpful information. There are a few things to be concerned about with these trucks but they know allll about them inside and out and exactly how to fix them. The 6.4 can be an extremely good engine.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 PM
DLONGLANDSCAPING DLONGLANDSCAPING is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Birmingham,MI
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
I am not sure if you are familiar with either Ford-trucks.com or thedieselstop.com, but they have tons and tons of extremely helpful information. There are a few things to be concerned about with these trucks but they know allll about them inside and out and exactly how to fix them. The 6.4 can be an extremely good engine.
thanks for the info. I have actually read a lot about theses engines the last couple of hours and pretty much all the info is on one of those two sites.

I have a DFP delete kit on my "watched" list on ebay, as well as XLT headlights, Towing mirrors with side lights, and a set of recon LED amber clearance lights. I already have fog lights for them when i ordered my last bumper for my dump truck. So if i get the truck, i will be in about 15k when all said and done, and then i will be able to most likely sell if if i wanted to for around 25-30k with all the improvements i will have done.

p.s. I mis spoke on my last post about the truck. Its an XL with XLT interior power (power locks and windows, and MP3/CD)

As the time goes on the list of updates never stops:
-Leather lariat seats
-chrome grille
-Leveling Kit
-Air Bags
-3" suspension lift
-Bed Liner/Line X
-Dump Insert
-EGR Delete and Tuner
-New Rubber and Rims

But for now, its a work truck. I can make the updates after i pay the truck off this year!
__________________

Insured and Licensed
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:49 PM
DLONGLANDSCAPING DLONGLANDSCAPING is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Birmingham,MI
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
I looked at a truck just like that one, a 2010 F350 supercab 8 foot bed with 85k miles on it a couple months ago. It was one of the better priced ones i could find, it was still 35k. That seems like a smoking deal for 14.5k, I would jump on it even if he doesnt budge.

On a second thought, I would be better off flying somewhere to buy a truck and driving it back

Thats what i am doing. Truck is in chicago. I am going to take a train to Chicago on thursday of this week, pick up the truck friday morning and drive to indianapolis to go to the MSU sweet 16 game. At leased thats the ideal plan if i hear back from the bank by tomorrow. (i doubt it though)
__________________

Insured and Licensed
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-01-2013, 08:41 PM
KS_Grasscutter's Avatar
KS_Grasscutter KS_Grasscutter is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Posts: 3,146
Get a truck bought yet?
__________________
Hutchinson, Kansas
Kansas Certified 3b Applicator
Mowers-Trucks-Trailers-Snow Equipment-Application Equipment-Etc

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:09 AM.

Page generated in 0.09269 seconds with 10 queries