Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Grass View Post
I guess I am around 40 cents a foot, I have a turfteq and it just ROLLS, I give people a great look, and a reasonable price, we are all happy, I am making 100 plus an hour, WITH driving time, so I am cool.
There is a man with a turf teq besides me

I have one to its so fast it will blow all others out of the water Best thing I bought, my back loves it.
I'm at $0.50 per ft

The turfteq trenches new bed lines 50' +per min Takes longer to paint the lines then it does to trench it
Grooming old beds is even faster 80'-100' per min
I think I bought mine back in 07 thinking, it paid for its self on its first job. I installed 2,000 ft of edger stones.

I like using it on Sod jobs for seaming or put the grooming blade on and edge walks for the sod faster then a spade.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

We have two different edgers a Brown edger that is a spinning edger good for rocks, roots, clay. Can put sev dif atchments on it and a turfco L cuter . It depends on the soil on what we use. I think the .50 per foot is a fair price. I would charge a labor rate and disposal to that as well. Don't rake the edge back into the bed. Good way to jack up your new edge with grass sproughts . If I don't make at least 150 per job I charge a Serv. fee to the job. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Installing bed edging

I have been doing bed maintenance since '97. With a flat shovel, I can do 20-30 feet a minute in normal soil if there aren't a lot of tree roots and the bed we are just cleaning up the edge. This just gets included in my mulch installation pricing. If you are cleaning up the edge, you'll want to mulch it anyway.

Creating or recreating an edge, when we have sod or weeds to haul away, we charge $0.50/ln ft. It's easy to create a good, clean edge 5-10 feet a minute if you know how to do it. Would come to

If we are putting in aluminum edging (never touch the plastic stuff), I charge $3.00/ linear foot. Around $1.75 is for labor/installation. The rest for the aluminum edging.

I never use a machine. Too likely to damage tree roots and pipes/wires without knowing it. Especially those dang cable lines.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Omega brick , when will you be getting your new knee or hip? Lol. The spade is a good tool. I think Munks invented it. You know what I'm saying? I once had a phone that pugged in the wall. Lol. Just playing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys. I don't have a machine but it could be a good upsale for new mulch or pinestraw installs. Would keep a good bed line and give my trimmer guy a line to follow.

I'm curious how many feet of bed your average home is. I did one the other day at 725 feet (re edged and took 2 guys about an hour to edge and clean up) and have done another estimate at 700 and 450.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalllc View Post
Omega brick , when will you be getting your new knee or hip? Lol. The spade is a good tool. I think Munks invented it. You know what I'm saying? I once had a phone that pugged in the wall. Lol. Just playing.
Posted via Mobile Device
I know. Right! I do limit the whole repeated lifting thing and keep the spade very sharp so I don't strain myself too much. I really do want to keep from damaging roots, though. "Munks" meaning monks?

You are right. Modernizing is essential. Can't do everything by hand. I used to build boulder walls with just a shovel and wheel barrow. Back still hurt for a couple of years after I started using machines.

I will catch up with some of you soon. Buying cad and 3d design programs and iphone etc this year.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I don't normally do this and don't have the equipment. But things are slow and I got a call for someone who wanted it. Figured I might quote it and rent a bed edger. Maybe try to line up some other work.

So I figure by the foot is the easiest to price it. Anyone care to give me a ball park of what they get on new bed lines?

What about production per minute or hour including edging and clean up?
Posted via Mobile Device
What landscaper doesn't own a shovel?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I was just playing. I have done my fair share of using a Spade trust me. My point is why hurt yourself? I went and bought my L shaped edger do to the damage my Brown coused. As fare as using a spade or a motored tool ? I pick the tool that's going to get the work done and fast so I can go do more work. Charge by the foot and go to the next one. If you have been doing edging for that long with a spade and not trying to save yourself it will bite you someday . With my Turfco , I have yet to cut a wire or bust a head. Roots are not going to get so trashed with it as well. I would HATE to edge in clay all day. No thanks! You have been at this as long as I have and my body is starting to break. I have in the last 3 years been fixing what my job has been breaking. Knee, wrist, elbow . It will break you too. Trust me.
Posted via Mobile Device