Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PO Boxes being listed well in google.

I have read a million times that PO boxes will not be listed in Google. I however am seeing many of my competitors being listed well using a po box. There are many variations to how the address is being listed:

PO Box 123, 123 main st
Suite 123, 123 main st

Both are appearing to work. I am curious to know why this is? I Googled many of the address and they come up to a UPS store or something similar. I would love to list an address for my business, but operating from home could cause me some issues. Clients know where I live and that's fine, but certainly don't want random people at my door.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sure, it can work. I've seen no rhyme or reason for why this is so. What I do know is that I see vast swaths of listings disappear all the time. Landscapers seem to be quickly drawing the increased scrutiny eye of Google as every week I see "competitors" disappear from Maps/Places and entire 7 Packs vanish along with them. Some industries are well-known for abuse and ultimately being banished (industries, not individual businesses) from Places/Maps/7 Packs. Locksmiths and Web Designers (amusingly enough) are two of these. Carpet Cleaners are also scrutinized from every angle. I would wager that LCOs are very, very close to the concept of "guilty until proven" innocent... and then we're going to need more proof of your legitimacy.

In the last couple of weeks, I have seen two entire 7 Packs disappear from a sizable metro area (2m people) and approx 16 Places/Maps listings be yanked. This is for "Lawn Care [city]".

So, if you want to try to get away with it, you need to view your strategy as the proverbial sprint you may win, but the marathon that you will quite likely lose. And digging out and rebooting is a long, potentially expensive process. I'm currently helping a client with this very issue and we're a couple of months in to the process, and still trying to get a new, legitimate listing to be blessed by G.

My advice? Hide your address, list yourself as a Service Area Business, and work within those confines. I've seen no issue whatsoever with hidden addresses impacting rank. Personally, I think people give waaay to much worry about their Google Places gaming. Time and again I've used the local strategies a couple of us have recommended and had no problem being in the 7 Pack or organic Page 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave does lawns View Post
Clients know where I live and that's fine, but certainly don't want random people at my door.
This is the Catch 22 and why Google has their guidelines. If you shouldn't be on a map, you shouldn't be on a map.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

After reading http://blumenthals.com/blog/2012/12/...age-delete-it/ I am realizing I have no idea the difference between Google + and Google places.

Off to do some more reading.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a google place listing (in the works)

I have a google + listing (as a page) https://plus.google.com/b/1151529689...38565240/posts

Now because I do not have an office and do not want home address listed, I should delete Google + page and just roll with the Google Place with address hidden?
Old 03-24-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What I would do: Ignore Places. Hide your address in your G+ Local page. Optimize your G+ page (your About needs a lot of work.)

Is this good advice? I have read just about everything I can- and I really don't know. It's what I did and it has worked well for me...

Houzz
Old 03-24-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is stupid, I give up.

I am sure googles goal was to make it difficult for "spam" of the listings, but what they did was create a nightmare for everyone. I am still not sure what the difference is between google+ and places.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Before you give up- at least optimize your + page.

You are allowed to include links in your About description. Make sure you mention your company name, most important keywords, and general service area. Link to a couple of your websites pages. Even if you never do anything else, you might as well take advantage of the profile.

Houzz
Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My google places is listing my address in the 7 pack(Which a few weeks ago it wasn't) even though I have the address hidden... It's not listing the full PO#, but the address of the post office. Not sure what else to do, I re-checked and I do still have the address hidden.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I never saw the option to hide my address in Google+
Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2TheGreenIndustry View Post
My google places is listing my address in the 7 pack(Which a few weeks ago it wasn't) even though I have the address hidden... It's not listing the full PO#, but the address of the post office. Not sure what else to do, I re-checked and I do still have the address hidden.
I've seen this show up in a 2 accounts I work with. The address issue you're specifically running in to is possibly due to Google finding legacy data (the address), creating a listing for the business as it can automatically do, and then merges the duplicate. One of the two I saw this happen with did have the benefit of showing a previous address, which made it easier to figure out. It could be unrelated, to your issue, but with Google+, who knows?

The issue is definitely on Google's radar as I see a lot of mentions in the Google Product Forums:
https://productforums.google.com/for...I/ftQk_bZF_D0J