Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

boom vs chemlawngun

I come from an agricultural background and have always used TEEJET nozzles at 10 gallons per acre.Can someone explain to me why truck mount sprayers with guns need to spray so much volume.It seems like too much carrier product to me.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatlock View Post
I come from an agricultural background and have always used TEEJET nozzles at 10 gallons per acre.Can someone explain to me why truck mount sprayers with guns need to spray so much volume.It seems like too much carrier product to me.
It is because a lawn gun puts out extremely large droplets spaced fairly wide and more carrier makes discrepancies in coverage uniformity less hazardous. I use booms with Teejet nozzles, as well as single nozzle hand pieces with the same nozzles for application to lawns rather than a lawn gun. My target application volume is more like 20-200 gallons per acre. 10 gallons per acre can be a very drift prone application. The weeds in lawns are also not always presenting such a large target as pasture or field crop weeds either.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-24-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Partly this is a hangover from the early operations that mixed fert with the water and herbicide. You need more carrier to apply fert without burning the grass. Also you can have bigger droplets and a lot less drift. A hand gun (which I prefer) works very well for small yards with fences and lots of flowers and bushes. If one is applying herbicide only, then much lower volume is fine. A ride-on applicator would apply about a half- or a third gallon per thousand sqft. Boom or boomless output.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As both Riggle and greendoctor stated, drift is number one since you will almost certainly have susceptible, no target ornamentals plants near your turf somewhere on the property.

Booms/boomless sprayers still have their place on large open areas like sports fields, golf and some parks, then cutting back in the "sensitive areas" with a handgun or wand.

I still have a preference for combo mixing fert with control products as that allows me to change my rates from day to day to adjust for things like a lot of rain, heat, etc., taking my N rates up or down, adjusting iron and slow release rates, etc. In those situations, you have to have enough water to "flow" the product out into the turf for proper coverage.

Handguns are still the king on urban routes. Fast, accurate, flexible.