Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-27-2013, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
What if it's used in commerce?
I apologize for not adding that bit in thought I did, but RV's used in commerce must also have DOT #'s but if being used for recreation only then one is not need
Stihl BR 430 Blowers
Huqsv. Chain Saw
Hurst 6x12 Utility Trailer
Snowdogg MD 68 Plow
Old 03-27-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
You're wrong about log books and manual. That is only necessary when you have an INTERSTATE DOT number. Most LCOs are intrastate. No log books, etc. And the law is new as of 2012.
That may be new law in MI. But most state have adopted these regulations as their own so being inter or intra doesn't really matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

The other day a friend of mine got pulled over . He was pulling a goose neck car haller. The dot told him most people who own them do so for trade and he did not have a dot # so the cop pulled him over. The guy I know collects old cars and takes them to car shows with it . He was comming back from getting the trailer painted. ??????
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
That may be new law in MI. But most state have adopted these regulations as their own so being inter or intra doesn't really matter.
I know that's how it is in MI and AZ. That is what the FMCSA told me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number. Also, commercial intrastate hazardous materials carriers who haul quantities requiring a safety permit must register for a USDOT Number. The USDOT Number serves as a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a company's safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and inspections.

New-Entrant Program
All first-time carrier applicants for a USDOT Number will be automatically enrolled in the FMCSA New Entrant Safety Assurance Program. This program requires new entrants to pass a safety audit and maintain acceptable roadside safety performance over an initial 18-month period before they are given permanent registration status. In most cases, companies operating exclusively as brokers or non-vehicle-operating shippers or freight forwarders do not need to obtain a USDOT Number.

Some States Require USDOT Numbers
In select states (see green highlighted states or list below), all registrants of commercial motor vehicles, even intrastate and non-Motor Carrier registrants, are required to obtain a USDOT Number as a necessary condition for commercial vehicle registration.(in which case the top paragraph doesn't apply)

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New York, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

A USDOT Number is required if you have:

vehicles that are over 10,000 lbs,
if you transport between 9 and 15 passengers (including the driver) for compensation,
if you transport 16 or more passengers, or
haul hazardous materials in interstate commerce.
There is no application fee ever associated with the U.S. DOT Number. You must complete the MCS-150 (Motor Carrier Identification Report) to obtain a USDOT Number. The form can be found on our web site at http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov. The MCS-150 can be completed on line or you can print out a copy of the form, complete and mail to the address indicated. If you do not have access to the Internet, you can call our toll-free number at 1-800-832-5660 to have one mailed to you.

Generally, if you are operating as a "for-hire" motor carrier of regulated commodities or passengers in interstate commerce, you must also obtain interstate Operating Authority (MC Number) unless your "for-hire" operation is limited to the transportation of exempt commodities, or you operate within a commercial zone, exempt from the interstate Operating Authority rules. Information about commercial zone exemptions may be found at 49 CFR 372.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now with the log books I was partly incorrect if you stay with in a 150 mile radius you don't have to keep them
HERES THE BIG ONE if you must obtain a dot# or you have one YOU FALL UNDER ALL FMSCA REGS EXCEPT THE PORTIONS THAT REQUIRE CDL
so law or not with the FMSCA regs book if you have to get a DOT number it was just be wise to have it so you know the regs

everything above the dashes is straight out of the 2013 fmsca regs book I have a CDL class A and have for 9 years now the laws are starting to change massively so I would keep a close eye on them
Stihl BR 430 Blowers
Huqsv. Chain Saw
Hurst 6x12 Utility Trailer
Snowdogg MD 68 Plow

Last edited by southerlawn; 03-27-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: addin more info
Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"The Agency identifies 16 regulations that are essential elements of basic safety management controls necessary to operate in INTERSTATE commerce and makes a carrier's failure to comply with any one of the 16 regulations an automatic failure of the safety audit."

That is off the site. 95% of those rules/regulations has to do with interstate. The FMCSA has unified the interstate rules throughout the country. However, each state picks and chooses which laws to enforce for intrastate. The New Entrant Safety Assurance Program has been in place since Jan. 2003. When you apply for your OWN DOT number, based off of what you put down, the FMCSA will send you a letter letting you know what you need to do to comply with your DOT# status. I for example do not have a CDL nor a commercial vehicle weighing over 26,000lbs. I am intrastate non-hazmat, and only need to have my truck DOT inspected. No safety audits, nothing. I am not a broker. I do not have drivers of commercial vehicles, etc. Now, if I ran a trucking depot, that'd be a different story. Also, if my company had a fleet of trucks, trailers, and employees to drive them, I'd still be intrastate, I would need to have my drivers have proper med cards, CDL's, etc, but I'd be going through my states requirements.

My dad's had a CDL A with Hazmat for 20+ years, all my info is from the FMCSA, my state, and him. My advice is call your State DOT, then call the FMCSA, and then, if need be, apply for your DOT.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

For the most part DOT won't mess with you if you're hauling small open trailers or enclosed trailers. When they do mess with you though, they'll be checking out your axle weight, marker lights, tail lights, signals, etc.

They will also want to know if you're hauling freight for a business. Whether you do out of state work, etc.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly. Everyone on here has posted solid info on DOT. For the most part, the guy with a single axle trailer, hauling personal property, in their own state, will be fine. Just make sure nothings broken when you pull out of the drive!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
Yeah, trust me, we have had our fair share of run ins with DOT...which is why I'm trying to figure out a way to get away from them...we have an 18' tandem enclosed, 18' tandem open, and a 24' tandem tractor trailer that have all been pulled over...I was thinking if we downsized our rigs then maybe there isn't a lot they can do even if they wanted to pull us over...I have heard the cabovers with the landscape dovetail beds don't usually get pulled over, that was my other option but we would like to have 4x4 for snow removal
Posted via Mobile Device
Our Isuzu npr with landscape dovetail is rated at 12k, you will get pulled over, we do. It seems to be happening more frequently lately amongst the smaller trucks. Must be a money thing.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S. View Post
Like others have stated it is all based off of weight RATING, not gross weight. My truck has a GVWR of 6950, and my single axle trailer has a GVWR of 2995. This puts me at a Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of 9945. Note, this is not actual weight, but the weight rating, which is the gross weight then weight accounted for payload, passengers, etc. So, going by US DOT regulations, I would not need a DOT number to operate this combination as a motor carrier, however my vehicle still needs to be lettered with business name/phone while being operated.

As of last year all states go by US DOT regulations by the FMCSA, although some states enforce more than others. This states that any motor carrier (truck or truck/trailer combo operated to make money) with a GVWR (single truck) or a GCWR (truck and trailer) of over 10,001 needs a US DOT Number, whether you are intrastate or interstate. I have a DOT number on my truck because the minute I hook up to a bigger trailer I'm over my GCWR. It's not hard to get a DOT number. Go to the FMCSA website and apply for one. Most LCO are intrastate non-hazmat, which means you only operate within your state and carry no hazardous materials (Large scale fertilizer tanks, etc.), which then you may need a CDL endorsement or other licensing requirements. It is free to get a DOT number, and you can update it as you need as you grow your company.

Now, for DOT inspections on your vehicles. If you are operating under 10,001lbs, like my example above, you do not need your vehicle or trailer inspected. However, if you go over that, make sure that both truck and trailer have inspection tags and all parts (Lights, brake away controller, etc.) are working, because you do not want a hefty ticket because of a broken light bulb. Most LEO's will not look at a guy with a half ton and a single axle, because most likely, unless it is CLEARLY overloaded, the driver is not. DOT officers are looking more for 3/4 tons and double axles, dump trucks and trailers, etc.

Just my .02 haha
Cody S, very well explained. I only have a problem with one part, hazardous materials. If you are over 10k, and haul mowers, gas cans, skidsteer, weedeater your are considered a small quanity hazmat hauler. For this you will need 1,000,000 of public liability insurance on your commercial vehicle insurance and a mcs-90 endorsement in your files for your safety audit. Just had my safety audit two weeks ago. That was a pleasurable 2.5hrs with two inspectors.