Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
Still don't own up to what they did.
The "risk of trial" usually lies much more with a defendent in this type of case, especially when the evidence is so obvious. It will be very interesting if further scientific documents and evidence is revealed that may have never been made public. Once all data is collected, I wonder how many trees, shrubs and plants in the U.S. were damaged or killed in total and how many may continue to be damaged in the future or how many will never reach full majority size as nature intended? How much wildlife has been displaced and what are the effects on bird behavior, bees and other creatures? I know our property lost much of it's annually nesting birds who seemed to sense something wrong early and left to nest elsewhere. We also noticed frogs and toads, who once chirped beautifully around our property are gone after their trees and bushes they would hide under or in had perished. Is a university or other organization working on that ongoing study? Wish I wasn't a part of that data. Wish none of us were.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Washington University article on trees that weren't killed by Imprelis try to grow

"What happens when trees that werenít killed by Imprelis try to resume growth? The results are not for the feint of heart." - Bert Cregg, Washington State University Extension Article Link:
https://sharepoint.cahnrs.wsu.edu/bl...c-content.aspx

In the link you'll see photos which show the tumor-like growths that many of us look at everyday around our properties from trees that tried to grow, but began their altered state after the toxin Imprelis was introduced to the area. How many of you have seen this and yet your tree got rated a 1, 2 or 3?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I've wondered about this...we still don't know how each type of tree will try to handle this. I think we'll know soon, though. I trimmed off some of that growth after all photos were taken, to see if those spots grow better than untouched ones. Do the attorneys know this stuff?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuy View Post
"What happens when trees that werenít killed by Imprelis try to resume growth? The results are not for the feint of heart." - Bert Cregg, Washington State University Extension Article Link:
https://sharepoint.cahnrs.wsu.edu/bl...c-content.aspx

In the link you'll see photos which show the tumor-like growths that many of us look at everyday around our properties from trees that tried to grow, but began their altered state after the toxin Imprelis was introduced to the area. How many of you have seen this and yet your tree got rated a 1, 2 or 3?
Not looking happy.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,
Not sure of others but I have seen Dupont become a Steward of the Environment, at least in the eyes of this homeowner. Dupont has done well for me and my issues. I don’t expect Dupont to fail on the final aspect of it’s completion of mission to the US landowners. When Dupont turned over it’s removal and disposal of the Imprelis damage to third parties, then well- that’s where the last 25% of Stewardship remains, and that’s dealing with third party vendors and me and such. Dupont contracts with a “third party” vendor. Vendors are not looking out for Dupont interest or the home owner, they are looking out for only themselves- margins and only margins. Tree removal, minimal root removal, adding soil, and smoothing over the close area is all that remains. This is where the homeowner has to do battle with the third parties actually wrecking havoc with Duponts reputation. Yes I am retired, yes I am too old to physically fix what Davey won’t do at Duponts expense which I believe is very generous to Davey nationwide. My area of square footage in question is only 22 X maybe 50 sq feet or less. This requires 1 additional day of smoothing, compacting and clean-up. Davey refused siting contract obligations. This probably goes beyond Davy’s 50% margins. Not good for me, not good for Dupont and now not good for Davey. If they weren’t so greedy a 20-30% margin would have still been OK for Davey. At this point in time Davey’s slang language by their non professional attitude and misunderstanding by their representative to a homeowner on my property with their take it or leave it attitude did not sit well with me. A Davey representative of the company actually stated that they will not be “chasing roots all over my lawn” was their interpretation of my request. A depth of 6-8 inches will be sawed below soil level per Davey but this will cause the remaining close tree roots to remain indefinitely and I cannot mow over them which creates holes, humps and hills. I repeated that 6-8 inches is OK but out to 10 feet would be necessary and only where the root was- not a swimming pool effect all over. Then a soil dump, smoothed/leveled out and grass seeded. This was just too much for a (Tree & Lawn Care Experts Since 1880) as his business card quotes. Unfortunately this remains unresolved and will cause further harm to the home owner. Dupont needs to find other tree removal experts that are in the geographical area so that Davey does not have a monopoly on Duponts business or just pay me and I will become the tree removal expert as I have 20 years of Operational Management. Currently I am getting back with Duponts Claim Department Email address and stating that I want the Davey payoff if Davey cannot perform and I will remove the trees because I will keep following up or withhold payment until I have satisfaction that my lawn will be returned to level grade. This is no reflection on Dupont but just make it right.
Dave
Old 04-03-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I have no idea what you mean by saying that you have seen DuPont "become a steward of the environment." Please back that up!!?? We are in litigation, and so far DuPont has been nothing but 100 % difficult. Although they have stated that some trees will be okay with just "care" it's taken them 2 years to come up with that. Meanwhile, damaged trees are standing by un cared for. They are refusing to do anything about bushes. No coverage for trees that aren't completely dead. They are spending more and more money to try to nit-pick through our claim. If they were "stewards" many more people and trees would have been taken care of or replaced and they wouldn't have gotten into this horrible mess to begin with. It all goes back to DuPont. I won't buy any product that has the name DuPont on it. DuPont deserves to have it's reputation blown up!
As far as the 'third parties', DuPont should have never done things that way----our lawn care company thought they would profit from dealing with our entire HOA as a group, but that turned out to be the worst thing to do. They are just not smart enough. DuPont should just pay up---3 times the damage as mandated by our state's treble laws, and allow us to hire whom we want. That would be making it "right', as we were told from the beginning. I will never trust DuPont again.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Member

dhale1500- Dupont is far from being a "Steward of the Environment", and their focus continues to be on their bottom line by delaying, defending and denying homeowners claims for actual costs associated with damage caused by Imprelis.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, I guess there is a bigger world out there. I am but 1 home owner- retired. Originally I directly asked for no compensation other than to please remove these 3 damaged trees and replace with 6-8 ft. like trees for the Midwest area via a personal letter to them stating I need no further compensation. They came back with what I believe to be a phenomenal compensation package that somehow says- this is what we would like to do for you. Kind of like a sorry without saying sorry for this and hope this will compensate you for your loss. Come on I had (3) 53 ft trees? Please give me a break here this was huge (for me anyway). Before the Imprelis incident I was seriously thinking of removing them anyway due to a sight for sore eyes. It's just that Davy arrived and it went downhill from there. I probably should have read more of this thread to see your point. I will keep you appraised of the Davy tree service issue though.
Dave
Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

dhale1500, I'm not at all surprised reading of your disappointment with the removal process. Over a year ago, I had a Davey arborist at my place to discuss some other non-Imprelis related issues and we got to talking about how much DuPont was willing to pay as part of the direct resolution process and he told me it was not enough to really take care of things in the way most homeowners expected. For instance, they weren't paid enough nor instructed to perform full soil remediation. So, basically shallow dig, some only would get stumps grinded, no full removal of the contaminated roots, and to top it off it was suspect what size tree would be brought in to replace what was lost or what grade of tree. He even pointed out an example that my white pine, which wasn't that big, would not be replaced with the same size because the compensation wasn't enough. In fact, he said the so-called extra 15% compensation property owners thought they would receive for just their trouble was actually getting eatin' up by the whole process and homeowners he knew were upset and very disappointed in what they really got. For some who had a privacy hedge, they can't just have roots left and stumps grinded since they sometimes can't just replant beside the effected area, such as along a driveway or patio. I was even told once by a DuPont rep that mine would just be grinded down. When I said, "you mean I can never replant in the exact area again? That's my privacy hedge!" they became silent. Some who didn't really care about replacing trees, privacy or landscaping seemed okay though since the loss of the trees wasn't much of a concern to them.

I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. You are not alone.

Last edited by Starbuy; 04-08-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

DuPont doesn't care--at all!

What is boils down to is that many people do not know what their landscaping is worth, in part because they just haven't paid attention. When I say worth, I don't just mean cost of trees. I mean huge opportunity cost--each year's growth and care, as well as the waiting to be able to plant 'normal' again. We take our trees for granted until we run into a problem like this. DuPont is taking advantage of this. The longer it goes on, the angrier it makes me.