Register free!

Old 08-28-2009, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I apologize, after rereading the original post it kind of looks like my reply didn't really address your question. Didn't intend to Hijack your thread.............
Old 11-18-2010, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

David,

Couple of thoughts. Pay less to get more. Sounds like the reverse. But pay half the commission however pay the remainder as a bonus for a preset quota ie. weekly $500 for fifteen thousand $ in weekly sales average. Then add a montly bonus $250 if all weekly bonuses are met. You can offer to pay a lot more than the original commission cause they won't make the bonus each week or month. You can even offer $1000 quaterly bonus for all monthly bonus met.

Also make them accountable to time. They work 11 am to 8 pm. Route their day just like you would route a service day. Give them the neighborhood they are to work on Monday then drive by and see them working once or twice each day. Have him call in a couple of times a day too. He must call in to leave the area for any reason other than lunch. You can offer half day off on Friday and Saturday if they are on target for meeting goals.

TruGreen offers a graduated scale for commissions. As the gross weekly sales total increases the percentage also increases. Such as: 1000 for the week 1%, 2000 in sales 2%. Here's the push. A good rep keeps up with sales volume hour by hour. At the end of the week he busts his ass to make that extra $30 in revenue to get to the next percentage level. So for you you could pay say one third of the total commission for the first weekly sale and by the fifth weekly sale he makes three times the weekly commission. Then add bonusses too and ACCOUNTABILITY.

hope that helps

Accountability. Help him help you make him and you money. Show him how much you have sold so he knows it can be done in this amount of work each day. Then make him put in the hours to accomplish these goals.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

The company I used to work for had a sales staff of 8, they recieve a salary (around 45,000) and 10 to 15 percent on how long they had been there. The top salesman my last year had sold 1.5 million.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sutherland thats 10-15% of profit how did your organization keep track of it so tightly for maint to lawn to fert to construction?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting old thread. I call bull sh!t on the 10-15% with that high of a base. Somewhere someone wrote percentage of profit. Sales people need to be commissioned on sales not profit. They have no control over profitability
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2014, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Our straight commission salesman is interested in residual sales, ex. long term commercial maintenance accounts. Anyone tried residual? Can a duration be set, or is residual meant to be for the life of the account? Concerned about what that means as I consider selling my company in the future.