Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Natural Gas Melter

Anybody know of a melter or try this yet. Thinking about trying to convert a melter to natural gas to save money and see how it work. Sick of going through 8-9 propane tanks a day for filling cracks. Seems like there has to be a cheaper and more effieicnt way. Any body you the direct fire ones before that you can drive down the road with and not have the flame blow out?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Member

this might be a cheaper first step...if you have a log splitter...split your blocks of tar. it gives you more surface area and melts faster.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Thats a good idea. Havent started converting a melter yet but have been looking into it more. I would only be able to use natural gas until i lefted the shop. Natural gas is harder to compress they say so i can only make a connection at my shop to the melter and melt it that way and then from there use propane at the job is what im finding out. But either way natural gas is WAY cheaper so im thinking im going to give it a shot come this spring.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

if you go natural gas, get a bigger melter that is oil jacketed. otherwise your tar will harden up by the time you get to the job, or even the next job. there is not enough to hold the heat. we we run our big machines, we fire them up early in am then hit the road. with 60-125 gallons of tar it will stay warm. plus they are sealed systems that wont leak.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Good to know thanks. What brand do you prefer?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Crack seal kettle fuel

Not sure what kind of kettle your using.

We run a 180 gallon Marathon Road Maintenance Equipment kettle, and even on the coldest day, we will still only use about 120 lbs of propane ( one large 100 lb. tank, and a bit of the 2nd tank)

The burners for natural gas and propane are different as well, making it impossible to run both fuels in the same burner unit.

It is also illegal to drive with a kettle burner on.

Sometimes there are no short cuts.

Price your work to allow for all of your costs, .......and stick to your pricing.

And most of all, work safe at all times.
Attached Images

LB@SURESEALPAVEMENT.COM
Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

hey viper are you turning your toarches back when you get it up to temp becase i have gone 16 hours on 4 tanks and sure seal i see his reasoning for viper wanting to try to cut his costs his competitiong over by him is a real cut throat how his competition does it i have no idea id starve on what he charges
Old 03-28-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I was planning on running a different burner i was just curious if anyone else has done it. Even getting it up to 300 before we leave the shop for a 10 min drive would help.
I turn the torchs down but im always dumping more crack blocks in the melter as i use it. so it almost always on high it seems. I was the 10 gallon push carts for putting it down.