Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn Issue

I had a call yesterday to come take a look at a man yard. His yard has several oaks but not enough to where grass would not be able to grow. The soil is not bad at all. Should the lower limbs be trimmed out? I have a pole saw and can get a great deal further up the tree.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually younger oaks are harder to establish lawn under than mature oaks... lower limb trimming is a good idea in most cases, as long as the client doesn't get the idea that it will solve the shade problem...
A light tilling at least 2" deep is also a good idea...

Then,,, overseed and cover with compost and that should be enough fertilizer till the end of the Summer heat...
Half the fert when in Shade... at least that is how cool-season shade grasses operate... forcing topgrowth with N doesn't work in shade...
I've heard that half the fert for southern grasses in the shade is also true... always mulch mow or side shoot, becuz the extra encouragement for the turf is going to be necessary in competing with tree roots...
Old 03-28-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The only grass I see is about 30 feet from the tree. I suspect it will be that way next year, too. You are best to use a ground cover plant. Ajuga, ivy, myrtle, pachysandra...whatever is the local favorite for this condition

Is this fescue? Bermuda?
You really have to butcher thse trees to get in enough sunlight--removing about 30 percent of the tree. I recommend never try to grow grass without 4 hours of direct sunlight per day.