Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Sure, they're ECHOs - they'll probably run great for you if you take care of them. I don't think you'll find anything with the power you're looking for at HD though. I believe 22.8cc is the limit at HD.

I'm pretty sure only your dealer will carry the 28cc big-boys.

We're RedMax all the way ourselves, but we do use the ECHO 280 with a few attachments from time to time - good power, durable.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
Ok, so back to my question. Are the units at HD the same EXACT ones that a dealer sells? I get the dealer support part. I just wanted to know if they are cheapy's like the John Deeres at HD.
The Deeres are the same if they are same model number it is what jd dealers tell you so you won't look down on them
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

My dad bought a JD lawn tractor from a JD dealer. From a distance they look the same. A closer look will reveal the differences. It also feels more rigid. I think my dad's tractor even has a Kawasaki in it, if I remember right. Lowes JDs use Briggs and or Kohler.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Exactly if you go to your local dealer they can get you the lowes mowers but the chose the kawi options the tractor are made at the same factory just like me saying the husqvarna are diffrent but if you order sme models they are the same but dealers have a chance to buy the fab deck tractors that aren't offered in lowes
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The John Deere 130 was an enormous turd. A Home Depot machine. The L120 & L130 were the same machine. 120 had a 20 or 22 Briggs, the 130 had the 23 Kohler command. At $1899 & $2399 respectively. The extra 500 was justified for the longevity of the Kohler Command. It did have amazing power for a 48" cut.

Unfortunately to meet the price point, the skimped on the Hydro. Went with a Tuff Torque. Not bashing that. Lots of other brands use the same trans with much better results, why? It seems John Deere specified a bare bones tranny. Rather than opt for serviceable, top shelf options. Options like
1) no drain fill plug.
2) no remote oil resorvoir.
3) pitiful cooling fan.
4) no synthetic oil. (That's right, no fill, no drain, and filled with dino oil.)
5) John Deere refuses to service the tranny, simply replace it at $695 + labor. (Other manufacturers have parts available for a rebuild, even Tuff torque sells the kits. John Deere says, nope, buy a tranny.)

What do you think the chances are of me ever buying anything green? No, I didn't buy it, for commercial work. It died at under 300 hours of residential grass cutting. Still looked brand new.

Had a lot of faith in John Deere and Kohler Command. How could you regret such a purchase? Had I known the machine was planned to last 300-400 hrs, the Briggs would have been the clear choice (if you were still foolish enough to go green). It added insult to injury to learn that virtually ALL of the cheaper competitively built machines were actually better equipped. Best bang for the buck, in terms of Transmission and price goes to Craftsman. $800 less and actually better equipped.

That said, under $5000 new only gets green paint and stickers. Nothing truly John Deere about them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2013, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
My dad bought a JD lawn tractor from a JD dealer. From a distance they look the same. A closer look will reveal the differences. It also feels more rigid. I think my dad's tractor even has a Kawasaki in it, if I remember right. Lowes JDs use Briggs and or Kohler.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is simply incorrect, yet it gets repeated on the net all the time. A friend of mine owned a JD dealership for many years, but is now the liason between Deere and HD/Lowe's in this region. The machines are exactly the same in every way. They come in to a dealership local to several of the big box stores, and are prepped and shipped to the big box stores. I pass them making the run here several times per week from the dealership. My fiend has been to the factory to watch them roll down and off the assembly line, then get shipped to his store for prep work before going to the local HD/Lowe's. There is no difference between the ones they sell at either place. Just and FYI
Old 03-29-2013, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
The John Deere 130 was an enormous turd. A Home Depot machine. The L120 & L130 were the same machine. 120 had a 20 or 22 Briggs, the 130 had the 23 Kohler command. At $1899 & $2399 respectively. The extra 500 was justified for the longevity of the Kohler Command. It did have amazing power for a 48" cut.

Unfortunately to meet the price point, the skimped on the Hydro. Went with a Tuff Torque. Not bashing that. Lots of other brands use the same trans with much better results, why? It seems John Deere specified a bare bones tranny. Rather than opt for serviceable, top shelf options. Options like
1) no drain fill plug.
2) no remote oil resorvoir.
3) pitiful cooling fan.
4) no synthetic oil. (That's right, no fill, no drain, and filled with dino oil.)
5) John Deere refuses to service the tranny, simply replace it at $695 + labor. (Other manufacturers have parts available for a rebuild, even Tuff torque sells the kits. John Deere says, nope, buy a tranny.)

What do you think the chances are of me ever buying anything green? No, I didn't buy it, for commercial work. It died at under 300 hours of residential grass cutting. Still looked brand new.

Had a lot of faith in John Deere and Kohler Command. How could you regret such a purchase? Had I known the machine was planned to last 300-400 hrs, the Briggs would have been the clear choice (if you were still foolish enough to go green). It added insult to injury to learn that virtually ALL of the cheaper competitively built machines were actually better equipped. Best bang for the buck, in terms of Transmission and price goes to Craftsman. $800 less and actually better equipped.

That said, under $5000 new only gets green paint and stickers. Nothing truly John Deere about them.
Posted via Mobile Device
You must have been getting some smoking deals in your area, because the L120 was introduced at $2299, and the L130 at $2599 back in 2003. My dad bought one of the early L120's and it never gave him a lick of trouble right up until he died a couple years ago. He had a very rough 2.5 acres he cut with it too. I sold it for the estate after he passed and it ran like a top. Cut great too. I do know that an awful lot of them had crappy low end K46HD tranny's in them, and had a lot of problems. He just happened to get a good one.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanLC View Post
Sure, they're ECHOs - they'll probably run great for you if you take care of them. I don't think you'll find anything with the power you're looking for at HD though. I believe 22.8cc is the limit at HD.

I'm pretty sure only your dealer will carry the 28cc big-boys.

We're RedMax all the way ourselves, but we do use the ECHO 280 with a few attachments from time to time - good power, durable.
You are right .At my HD they have on the self a SRM-225, SRM-230 but you can buy a SRM-280 or whatever Buy Online, free Ship to Store.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyflyboy30 View Post
You are right .At my HD they have on the self a SRM-225, SRM-230 but you can buy a SRM-280 or whatever Buy Online, free Ship to Store.
Yup, you're right. There ya go. that's exactly what you'll find at your dealer, but if you're going to order online and wait to have it shipped, might as well buy from your dealer that services the tool. Dealers will often come off their price a little sometimes too, especially if you're buying more than one piece.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Just brought home a SRM-225 combo with 17" straight trimmer with speed feed head and a curved edger. This is big enough for what I do and runs most attachments they offer. Bought at dealer. They threw in a few small goodies like oil and glasses. I'm happy. Going out to use it now.
Posted via Mobile Device