Register free!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sign me up TurfcoBob.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2013, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

TurfcoBob,

My area suffers from, "Let's all forget about our lawns since it's Fall ...who cares about it...who do I call for blowouts.... no let's skip the Fall fertilizer since it looks fine...can I have your card for the Spring".

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2013, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfcobob View Post
OK, you asked for it.
when home lawn aeration first got started in the 60 /70s it was thought that Spring was the only time to do it and it had to be done before Pre-emerge went down. This was a good service, made some money but was a real hardship due to the time squeeze and small window. So as Aeration profits grew and more studies were done it was determinded that that fall even late fall up to freeze was a better time. Because this gave the grass / soil time to loosen up, roots to form and fertilizer time to get down to the new root level before spring. When doing this with a fert app right behind it the grass got a real jump start in the spring. This also allows you to have billings later into the fall right up to snow plow time, BUT, (there is always a but) new customers that do not understand the value of aeration will be very slow to spend $150 to see a bunch of cores on the lawn and grass going dormant. So it is best to do NEW AERATION CUSTOMERS, in the spring this way they see a quick response and value for the dollar spent. Just mow the lawn very short, aerate and apply fert. Water and mother nature and sun will do the rest. In a week or so the new customer comes out in the morning and goes WooooW, that guy really knew what he was talking about. Then move the new customer to the fall program to make room for more new customers in the spring. If you want I have a lecture called "What is Aeration and How Do I Sell It" takes about and hour.
Guys have a Great Spring
Turfcobob
So what does the Spring aeration do??? get the fertilizer into the roots for a quick green-up??? That is not the desired practice for cool-season grasses... quick Spring green-ups are for the applicator to make money, not for the benfit of the turf...
Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

For thatch fest lawns Spring aeration cures thatch in the spots the plugs are pulled. My premise is if the client skipped the Fall and Winterizer recommend fert....this is the next best thing.

There is just such a high level of apathy here locally for Fall aerations as being important that I'm not going to talk people out of it unless the thatch layer is in check.

Customer education on proper watering, mowing height and correct applications of fert and herbicides is the most frustrating part of this business for me.

What I'm doing this year is bundling Fall aeration with my season long fert programs for smaller lawns. For really thatch lawns I will perform a Spring as well as 2 additional peak growing season aerations.

Countless times I had potential clients say I had mine aerated 3 years ago or even last Fall and their lawn is a complete and total thatch fest. And they are convinced it doesn't need to be done again for some time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
For thatch fest lawns Spring aeration cures thatch in the spots the plugs are pulled. My premise is if the client skipped the Fall and Winterizer recommend fert....this is the next best thing.

There is just such a high level of apathy here locally for Fall aerations as being important that I'm not going to talk people out of it unless the thatch layer is in check.

Customer education on proper watering, mowing height and correct applications of fert and herbicides is the most frustrating part of this business for me.

What I'm doing this year is bundling Fall aeration with my season long fert programs for smaller lawns. For really thatch lawns I will perform a Spring as well as 2 additional peak growing season aerations.

Countless times I had potential clients say I had mine aerated 3 years ago or even last Fall and their lawn is a complete and total thatch fest. And they are convinced it doesn't need to be done again for some time.
Posted via Mobile Device
I understand that... Its like seeding... that's done in the Spring too... clients always know best...

Still. even for thatch, I would not aerate until fert time,,, after 2nd mowing or so...
At this time it would be fine for the roots to have fertilizer in the root zone, via aeration holes, heading into Summer...

Frozen soils around here have been frozen hard most of the winter,,, which means "heaving" from the expansion of ice crystals in the soil... the thaw may be going on in many yards under the snow, but for the most part we are under a couple inches of ice...
So when the ice is gone and the soils dry out a bit, 'compaction' will not be an issue for quite a while... but of course some goof will be driving around on wet soils, freshly thawed, making compaction trails all over the yard to get pre-m applied, along with a fertilizer in order to ensure the thatch is fed and the roots don't do much again this Spring...
Time that should be spent for seeding winter kill areas,,, are instead,,, sterilized from any and all seed germination potential....

How are you guys doing BTW? snow cover gone??
We're melting slowly and I think our average turf cover is under 8" now...
Old 03-30-2013, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Snow is gone here--except for where it was piled high due to plowing. We are ready to break out the shorts and sandals--up to 48 degrees now.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Snow down on the Prairie where many of the old grass seed growers field from years ago have been clear for some time. Overnight temps high 20's low 30's daytime highs 40's to even 60's.

It's low mowing season now and has been since mid late March.

If this drier weather continues it will be the ever popular and sometimes expensive power raking season for those who didn't put down Fall fert for proper Spring green up and other assorted reasons.

Just for the record in repeated tests on my own lawn low Spring mowing in the range of 1.5 to 2.25" promotes a faster green up than power raking. Vastly less damage to the crowns of the turf yet stimulates the crowns and pulls off dormant debris.

Maybe I will be convinced other wise but I just am not a fan of Fall scalp mowing much below 2.25". My Fall low mow was 3.25".

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We are still under snow here... in fact the deer are heavily raiding landscapes, and travelling during daylight hours, looking for food... so much snow they are not even being detered by electricity,,, no ground connection through the snow...
You guys are lucky...
Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
... It's low mowing season now and has been since mid late March.

If this drier weather continues it will be the ever popular and sometimes expensive power raking season for those who didn't put down Fall fert for proper Spring green up and other assorted reasons. ...

Maybe I will be convinced other wise but I just am not a fan of Fall scalp mowing much below 2.25". My Fall low mow was 3.25".

Posted via Mobile Device
Low mowing is a fine idea for the first few mowings...
power raking, however,, is about as good for a lawn,,, as leeches are for medical care... I hope your at least mowing all your springtime debris, back onto the turf...
I believe that you may have just given an explanation for the reason WHY your clients poo-poo the idea of lawn care in the Fall... they place all their enthusiasm on their turf in the Spring,,, just like the antiquated ideas of old,,, which includes "RAKING" with iron rakes every Spring...

I pickup leaves, twigs and miscellaneous other large materials that will NOT,,, ROT back into the soil before mowing occurs, with a backback blower and overseed the same day... I may come back with compost to cover the seed in certain cases,,, but in general I don't do anything more with the turf until it's time to mow...

High mowing in the Fall I also agree with... winters such as last winter in which snow is lacking and the turf is exposed to dessicating winds and freeze-drying,,, the extra leaf mass could mean the difference between dormancy and death...

Low mowing(in the Fall) is considered desirable for the prevention of Snow Mold,,, but having applied the N at the correct time,,, also prevents Snow Mold...
Old 03-31-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Smallaxe,

What is your input on sulphur input in the Fall to prevent snow mold...? Senske and another small ap Co. locally claim this as part of their last application but I have doubts they are doing soil testing before hand.

Posted via Mobile Device