Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

How for can a mowquito fly before it has to land??
Richard
Old 03-29-2013, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I am asking how for a mowquito can fly for the reason of how large an area that must be sprayed to be the most effected for control. A friend of mine said that a mosquito can only fly 8 feet. If so this is a good selling point for the use of pesticides for controling mosquitos. When the area is sprayed, the mosquito would have to land an be infected with the pesticide and then BAM he is dead.
Any one know this answer????
Old 05-29-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=americanlawn;4675858]We stopped using Mosquito Barrier. Worked fine during dry weather, but rainfall kills it IMO. Then we started using the "beet stuff" cuz they said it was a good overall product......... never again, cuz it's worthless. Doesn't kill skeeters, doesn't last. my 2 cents

p.s. still got some we will never use[/QUOTE

Larry what do you guys use now??? Not sure I know what the "Beet Stuff" is! Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got my first mosquito bite today. May 29.
Temp was about 82.
Growing Degree Days was at 402 (Base 50), accumulation for the season.
Season has been rainy, and cooler than usual, about 10 days later than usual.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 05-29-2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: added
Old 05-30-2013, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The beet oil was from phasthound's company. We found it to be useless. Best product seems to be Astro insecticide (quick kill). Also had the great results combining Astro with "Mosquito Barrier". But must be a fresh mix so the garlic smell (repellent) is present. No skiters here yet (to speak of). But setting up to be a banner year. Record spring rainfall in Iowa & still getting more. (141 years of weather data) yikes
Old 05-30-2013, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Larry,

I'm sorry the product we sent you did not work out well for you. But let's get our facts straight. it was not "beet juice", the correct name of the product is ICT Organics Essential 1-PHE which contains a broad range of botanical extracts and essential oils to reduce pest pressure. As the label states, the most efficient way to apply it is with a backpack mist-blower at the rate of 6 oz Essential-1 per 3 gal / water. Apply: 3 gallons mix /10,000 sq ft. The small particle size is critical for successful applications. I believe you were using a JD9 spray gun which produces large droplets. We have many companies using this product successfully with mist-blowers.

When applied properly, Essential 1-PHE will provide a rapid knock-down and residual repellency for 3-5 weeks. One big advantage to using products like this is they have little effect on beneficial insects which are important predators of many insects which are harmful to turf and ornamentals. The more you kill the beneficials, the more problems your customers will have.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 06-28-2014, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been using this product off and on for years and a couple of years ago started a family business. This wasn't a big focus for us so we are doing our first application in a couple of years today for grad party today. I have used this for personal use (camping, BBQ's) the most but most customers that we have done this for in the past it has worked well with. I'm hoping for good results. I have 2 more jobs in the works. Its an easy job and if it works, they keep coming back.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Texsota

My husband and I are retired. We are originally from Texas and have been in Minnesota for about 25 years. We don't let the 2 grandsons outside because of the skeeters and the diseases they carry, plus, we can't entertain except in the heat of the day. We did a lot of research and here is what we found. Mow your yard before spraying. We have decided to buy a Stihl SR 200. A man who has several more expensive ones said it can't be beat. The reason regular sprayers don't work well is when you just spray, the liquid hits leaves, etc. and rolls off. You need to use a blower sprayer that produces a mist. A mist is halfway between a spray and a fog. This is because the mist is fine enough that as it blows the mist around it coats the top and the undersides of the leaves. Once coated, everything is coated, it needs time to dry on all surfaces. As soon as we pick up our blower mister tomorrow, we will check the weather to see when we have a stretch of no rain days. We will start at the house spraying the roof, the outside of our log home,our porches and all under our porches. We are going to hook our machine onto the seat of our John Deere mower so we can also drive and shoot the mist.We plan to spray as far up into our trees as possible, and underneath all trees close to the ground. Our grass, and all of our shrubs and flowers. Out into the woods on each side of our house, our deck and underneath, and then we will shoot the mist as far out into the wetlands as possible. Be sure to turn over anything that could hold water. On standing water, there are instructions on how to add canola oil to the mix to prevent mosquitos from laying which prevents larvae from hatching. We were told it not only kills mosquitos and their larvae, but leaves the barrier to repel them. It also repels deer and other pests that will eat everything in your yard. Everyone we talked to said it was a miracle. I used to spray with Cutters on my hose, and lay down a layer of Mosquito Beater granules, which would work pretty good for a few hours. One last trick. During the heat of the day (here, about 1 pm) all of the mosquitos go into the bushes, under the porches and out into the woods. If you spray during this time you will get them all, as they are trapped there.
Yesterday, a guy posted that as insurance he uses one of those large, round, commercial looking fans, covers the front of it with a thin sheet of screen wire, he used rare earth magnets to hold it to the fan. He puts the screen on the SUCKING side of the fan. Let it run and it will be totally covered in skeeters. He said spray them with alcohol to kill them, remove screen and knock off the mosquitos onto a newspaper and spray them again. He said if you leave them out other bugs will come and eat them, and there will be nothing left but little legs lol. I decided I didn't want any other bugs, so I'm gonna roll mine up in newspaper and toss, or dump into the compost.
Ok. For Texans and others along the border and up a ways...if you have fire ants...ants wear their "bones" or exoskeleton on the outside. Acid will kill them, so, if you mix up several large containers of hot water and mix up a strong solution of a safe acid like vinegar, lemon or orange juice, something like those with a few drops of Dawn in the containers of water. Spray the one close so you don't get bitten, then start pouring your acid mixture down into the nest hole one after another so you are sure it travels all through the nest. The Dawn help things coat good and the acid eats away their protective outer coat. I will post the letter if I can find it. Love this post, thanks for reading, hope the part about using the mist type spray makes sense.

Last edited by texsota; 06-29-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

texsota

Sorry, the product is Mosquito Barrier...if you look it up on the internet, on the front page, I believe, it says Find A Retailer and you just put in your zip code and it brings up all of the places in your area that sell it. It totally explains everything about the product. Most important thing is to use a mister. We are getting the Stihl SR 200 which sells everywhere for $399. There may be used ones out there as I know they made them last year for sure.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

texsota

The Mosquito Barrier folks suggested Canola Oil, as it was cheap, and had no scent...no scent being the object. This was suggested for standing water. Plants breathe and take in nutrients, so I will refrain from using it on anything but standing water.
Different subject, I haven't researched it yet, but was wondering if the product being advertised on tv called Grassology, is a fake? It claims to put down very long roots and that it stays very short above ground, needing very little or no mowing. Said it would crowd out weeds. Sounded way too good, so figured it was a big lie. Even if it is, does anyone know of anything like that that I could just sow everywhere out in my grass and water it in. Thanks everyone!