Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Help With Reseeding

We just purchased a new home last year on 6 acres. Probably about 3.5 acres is yard and the rest is woods. The yard is honestly terrible. Huge dead patches, huge lumps of crab grass, and assorted patches of zoysia. Really looks hideous. I want to reseed but I have some concerns.

First concern is we have an infestation of moles. I'm talking hundreds! I'm tried the poison peanuts but I simply can't afford that method. It's too expensive considering the amount of moles I have. I was told I have so many moles because my woods are infested with Japanese beetles that lay their eggs in the ground and the moles are eating the eggs. So we've spent an enormous amount of time thinning the woods out. Anything not as big around as my calf got cut down. All the scrub vegetation and vines are gone too.

So my first question is should I get rid of the moles before I reseed? If so, what method?

Second concern is that I live in southeast Missouri and we have fairly cool winters and dry summers. Last summer was a drought. I don't know what kind of grass seed would be best for me. I've been told tall fescue but I don't know for sure. I do know that I hate the zoysia.

So my next question is should I use my tractor and till up the whole yard before reseeding or should I use a chemical to kill what I have now?

I know this is a lot of questions. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If moles are the reason for you largely dead lawn, then you'll need to get rid of that problem first... maybe tilling will eliminate the mole problem and force them deeper into the woods while you strip away their habitat in the yard...
but as for reseeding,,, you're too far south for me to have any sensible ideas about seeding, this time of year...
Old 03-29-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't help with the mole problem but here is my renovation a couple years ago on a little over 2 acres. I spent 2 years amending the soil before I even started. The front yard was tilled with top soil addded in while the back yard had the old grasses skimmed off and then Harley raked.

I don't know if your climate will support Bermuda but I used a medium grade Bermuda seed and my lawn looks terrific. When all the lawns here are brown or dead from drought mine is as green & lush as you can get.

A final consideration you need to think about is the financial as well as the time involved in maintaining an area that large. Good Luck! Scott

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ighlight=avguy
Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm concerned that the fall and winters will be too cold for Bermuda and the woods and large trees may throw too much shade. Especially in my back yard.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your in climactic zone 6a, that's too cold for bermuda. Mo. is too hot in the summer for ryegrass, tall fescue might be your best choice.

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/Default.aspx

The "NTEP" rated "Bullseye" the #1 tall fescue in Columbia Mo. (= MO1) but it had only a 6.2 score, that's fairly low.

http://www.ntep.org/data/tf06/tf06_1...tf0612ft02.txt

The "NTEP" rated "PST-2NBS" (which is a grower's name and wouldn't be used for sale's) the #1 ryegrass in Columbia Mo. (= MO1)

http://www.ntep.org/data/pr10/pr10_12-1/pr1012t06.txt

You really need to consult the extension agency closest to you. These people are a excellent resource for anything related to your yard and can recommend the best seed for you.

http://extension.missouri.edu/main/D...2#publications

All that said, Sept. 1 is the right date to plant fescue. Any grass you plant now probably will not make it through the summer, the root system just isn't there. I know you have spring fever, but spend the next 6 month's getting your yard ready to seed, you might be surprised how fast that time go's. If you do this, you will definitely have a better chance of success. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you do decide to start working up the ground in preparation for Fall seeding,,, you may be able to throw down a bunch of annual ryegrass(AR) for ground cover during the growing season... leave it long for the summer heat and you may be OK, but either way you have something to keep the dust down and 'green manure' for your final tilling in the Fall...

If you want to renovate the lawn now, I would go to the local nursery or even a garden center and talk to 'locals' about the best grass to use for Springtime seeding... if local LCOs don't want to give you information it is becuz they only know 'cides, not botany... Spring is late here, so you may still have time there as well...
Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks fellas. I think I can probably hold off until the fall and start with with a fresh reseed of tall fescue.