Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2013, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that cash rules. All of my equipment is mine free and clear and it feels good. I don't have a prius or any of that other hippy stuff. That was just me trying to be funny.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTenterprises View Post
I agree that cash rules. All of my equipment is mine free and clear and it feels good. I don't have a prius or any of that other hippy stuff. That was just me trying to be funny.
Posted via Mobile Device
I got that you were being funny, guess so was I.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey us Southern boys gotta stick together, Bama.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I like that.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTenterprises View Post
Hey us Southern boys gotta stick together, Bama.
Posted via Mobile Device
The South will rise again
Old 03-30-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardin53 View Post
A lot of forethought should go into how you have your truck and trailer set up. Many times we build racks and hangers in a safe place for your equipment that may look good at first, but in practical use you end up walking around the trailer 2 or 3 times every stop when it is NOT needed if you was to mount the trimmer rack closer to the street side or drivers door.
I mount as much as I can on the curb side of the trailer. Only my water cooler and spare trimmer are on the street side. This does mean that I have to walk around the trailer once when the job is started and once when it's ended. I do this for a very good reason. I have a thing about minimizing my exposure to traffic. The less time I spend on the street side the better.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Member

There is some really good advice in this thread. I will certainly be critiquing how I operate. The biggest saver of both time and money for me is keeping a tight route and focusing on getting multiple yards per stop. Nothing is better than parking and knocking out 3-4 yards right next to each other. If you use your truck as a personal vehicle, minimize driving by actually writing out where you need to go and what you need to get done. If you have to go to the dealer take the parts you are replacing with you and know the part #'s. I have a good dealer near me but I've been given the wrong parts on more than one occasion. You live and learn. I drive very little so for me it is cheaper to just drive my 3/4 ton 4x4 than it would be to buy another vehicle that is better on gas.

I am a very frugal person. My friends and family joke on me frequently. I have found that sometimes constantly thinking about money can be counterproductive. If you find a product or something you want and you are doing a good job saving money, buy it (the majority of the time what I'm buying is for work anyways). Reward yourself occasionally. I always want to horde my money but don't take enough time to enjoy the fruits of my labor. Be smart, work hard, relax and it will all work out alright.

**Also, Make friends in the business. Know your competition and how they work. If you come across yards/jobs you can't do send them their way if they do quality work and are good guys. I have good relationships with a few local guys and have sent work their way. I know that they'll help me out if I ever really need it. We aren't out to cut each other's throats.

Last edited by oznort; 03-31-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think a key is to keep your mowing route in close proximity. Do all your cuts in the same area during the same day of the week. I've even dropped some clients that were just too far away. Saves gas and time. Often you can replace one far away client with two close ones and make more money.

Ford F150 XL Truck
6 x 10 Trailrite Trailer w/ramp
ExMark Phazer 34" laser 2006 mower
Big Dog C142 2011 mower
Wright Grass Gobbler
RedMax BCZ2401S Trimmer
Stihl FS-55-T Trimmer
Husqvarna 570BTS Backpack blower
Husqvarna 445 Chain Saw
Redmax HB280 hand held blower
Echo HC-150 gas hedge trimmer
Jungle Jack
Arien's dual stage 625E snowthrower

Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have a Costco? I buy my fuel at Costco and get 4% cash back at the end of the year.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

"ashgrove" said it, LLC is a protetion, if you get sued all they can take is what you have under the LLC so equipment, funds, trucks etc.. now i know that sounds bad, trust me my equipment is my life besides God and my Family, but its better they take that vs my house my wifes car and my wifes paycheck and our personal savings and other personal items not associated with my buisness like my harley God forbid, basicly no LLC if you get sued all you own is upfor grabs and they will likely get it.