Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Fert Dust & Vanguard 16 hp motor

To whom it may concern.
I took both of my Z's to the shop AGAIN for a stator gone bad. One little spot of fert stuck to one of the copper coils and its just a matter of time before its shot. One has been fixed already last week. I took the second one in today.

Possible fix.

My mechanic has hired a retired gentleman that spent years rewinding electric motors. He said that when these type parts/motors are wound the bare wires are treated with a basic varnish of some type mainly to protect it from atmospheric conditions. He has found a high strength, chemical resistant varnish to apply to the copper wires and is going to apply at least a couple of coats to the bare wires on a new stator and it will be installed. Hopefully it will last longer than 4 months like the last few I've had installed. We will see.

Just thought some of you might be interested
Old 03-29-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's strange. Wire coils are always coated in some kind of varnish, treated paper, tar or plastisol. If it isn't your mechanic should have picked up on that the first time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've asked him about spray painting them or applying some type of spray on bed liner material. He has told me that was not possible.., the wires have to remain pretty much exposed to work properly.

The retired gentleman also said that he will have to tape off each of the outside conductors on each of the coils around the stator so they don't get anything on them while applying the industrial varnish or it won't work properly. He said there is a coating on the stators from the factory, it's just not designed to repel fert induced corrosion. He also said there is a fine line between too much and just enough when coating them. Hell, I don't know. I'm just a "MacGyver" I'm not a mechanic or an electrician. I leave that work to the experts.

You would think B&S would have something... An HD Stator or something.

....I can't be the only one who has had this problem.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess this is not overload by using sprayer correct?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure what you mean by "using sprayer correct" and "overload"??? I know how to use a boom sprayer set up on a zero turn platform ...I do have an auxillary tank that I use on only one of the units and it is never operated simultaneously with the factory sprayer so if that's what you mean by overload??...but to answer your question no, I have seen all stators after they have been removed.

It is very obvious that the motor sucks in fert dust and some of it ends up under the flywheel on the stator. The wires will have turquoise pockmarks. Some have been in worse condition than others but as it was explained to me, "It takes only one strand of wire on only one of the coils to be compromised with corrosion and the whole part is toast".

I'm not even going to go into the fert that I used all last year...

Last edited by ted putnam; 03-29-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Not sure what you mean by "using sprayer correct" and "overload"??? I know how to use a boom sprayer set up on a zero turn platform ...I do have an auxillary tank that I use on only one of the units and it is never operated simultaneously with the factory sprayer so if that's what you mean by overload??...but to answer your question no, I have seen all stators after they have been removed.

It is very obvious that the motor sucks in fert dust and some of it ends up under the flywheel on the stator. The wires will have turquoise pockmarks. Some have been in worse condition than others but as it was explained to me, "It takes only one strand of wire on only one of the coils to be compromised with corrosion and the whole part is toast".

I'm not even going to go into the fert that I used all last year...
I gave up. I can't afford to keep replacing stators. Not only the mechanic bill, parts, etc. but the dang downtime.

I just wired up a deep cycle battery and I charge it each day. Only thing I know to do.

My only complaint about the Z. Something needs to be done. It's BS.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrashears View Post
I gave up. I can't afford to keep replacing stators. Not only the mechanic bill, parts, etc. but the dang downtime.

I just wired up a deep cycle battery and I charge it each day. Only thing I know to do.

My only complaint about the Z. Something needs to be done. It's BS.
Yea. Its costing me about $130 a pop on parts and labor. Luckily, my mechanic gives me top priority and he's close to the shop. He keeps 2 or 3 in stock and I usually have it back by the second day but I lose $1300-$1500 a day in production on average depending on how much we are using it when it decides to lay down on us...and lets face it, push spreaders SUCK

In all seriousness, this was not started to be a rant and I certainly do not blame LT Rich. This is an issue that should be addressed by B&S in my opinion. You can't tell me those coils couldn't be enclosed in some type of plastic casing. I know it wouldn't last forever but it would sure last longer than it does exposed like it is. I wonder if this was a problem with the Kawasaki motors they used to put on them? I never had this much problem out of the B&S that was on my old PG Ultra.

Does the deep cycle battery last a full day of broadcast spraying with the boom??? That may be what I do until I replace the motors if what my mechanics are doing doesn't work

I got your earlier PM. I 'm not far off the main trails in this area. I can get you my number so you can give me a heads up when you're down this way. If you time it just right, I'll let you buy me lunch
Old 03-30-2013, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Yea. Its costing me about $130 a pop on parts and labor. Luckily, my mechanic gives me top priority and he's close to the shop. He keeps 2 or 3 in stock and I usually have it back by the second day but I lose $1300-$1500 a day in production on average depending on how much we are using it when it decides to lay down on us...and lets face it, push spreaders SUCK

In all seriousness, this was not started to be a rant and I certainly do not blame LT Rich. This is an issue that should be addressed by B&S in my opinion. You can't tell me those coils couldn't be enclosed in some type of plastic casing. I know it wouldn't last forever but it would sure last longer than it does exposed like it is. I wonder if this was a problem with the Kawasaki motors they used to put on them? I never had this much problem out of the B&S that was on my old PG Ultra.

Does the deep cycle battery last a full day of broadcast spraying with the boom??? That may be what I do until I replace the motors if what my mechanics are doing doesn't work

I got your earlier PM. I 'm not far off the main trails in this area. I can get you my number so you can give me a heads up when you're down this way. If you time it just right, I'll let you buy me lunch
Oh yeah. All day and then some. I've run it hard from 7 to 7 before.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good info. Lasting only 4 months, mine last longer but I don't have near the customers you do. I was thinking of taking mine off during the slow times and cleaning them but they are tough to get off.

K,
What brand/type of battery do you use.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

think it would help to take a blow gun and blow the engine off at the end of the day?