Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2013, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One Pump, One Pump Start Relay, and 2 Controllers

I am in the process of replacing a very old RB controller. It is a RC 7-A with the push-pull pins. It activates a pump start relay that turns on a deep well 220V pump. The controller, PSR, and pump are all at the same location.

The pump / PSR is also activated by a RB ESPM controller that is about 200 feet away for another system. Apparently there are two conductors getting from the distant controller (ESPM) to the RC 7-A controller. The reason I say "apparently" is because there is quite a "spider web" of wires in the RC 7-A controller cabinet.

My question is this. There is also a low voltage relay wired into this "spider web" that, being the novice that I am, I do not understand. Do I need to keep the relay or can I just terminate all 4 leads ( 2 ea MV and 2 ea Common) directly to the PSR?

I am just trying to understand what my options are before I dig into the "spider web."

Thanks in advanced for any assistance!

Mex
Old 03-29-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEXANDME View Post
I am in the process of replacing a very old RB controller. It is a RC 7-A with the push-pull pins. It activates a pump start relay that turns on a deep well 220V pump. The controller, PSR, and pump are all at the same location.

The pump / PSR is also activated by a RB ESPM controller that is about 200 feet away for another system. Apparently there are two conductors getting from the distant controller (ESPM) to the RC 7-A controller. The reason I say "apparently" is because there is quite a "spider web" of wires in the RC 7-A controller cabinet.

My question is this. There is also a low voltage relay wired into this "spider web" that, being the novice that I am, I do not understand. Do I need to keep the relay or can I just terminate all 4 leads ( 2 ea MV and 2 ea Common) directly to the PSR?

I am just trying to understand what my options are before I dig into the "spider web."

Thanks in advanced for any assistance!

Mex
It sounds like you have an isolation relay in there. There should be two. I had this situation last spring http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...pring+surprise
Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

304.............It is interesting that you mention that there should be two relays. There is the one that I mentioned in the original thread that is wired in in the RC 7-A cabinet AND there is one laying in the ESPM cabinet but not wired in. It's an old relay just laying in the cabinet. It appears that it used to be wired in. It looks just like the one in the RC 7-A cabinet.

Can I just eliminate the one in the RC 7-A cabinet altogether? Or will that cause a backfeed, voltage drop, etc. situation?

Thanks for help with this. I am out of my league on this one!

Regards,

Mex
Old 03-29-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEXANDME View Post
304.............It is interesting that you mention that there should be two relays. There is the one that I mentioned in the original thread that is wired in in the RC 7-A cabinet AND there is one laying in the ESPM cabinet but not wired in. It's an old relay just laying in the cabinet. It appears that it used to be wired in. It looks just like the one in the RC 7-A cabinet.

Can I just eliminate the one in the RC 7-A cabinet altogether? Or will that cause a backfeed, voltage drop, etc. situation?

Thanks for help with this. I am out of my league on this one!

Regards,

Mex
Hunter, Rainbird and Toro have online wiring diagrams for multiple controllers, PSR etc.

Sorry i dont have a link
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The problem I was having was that the Total Control was back feeding a I Core and causing errors. You should hook them back up.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.transitionalsystems.com/isolator.htm
Old 03-29-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have a copy here at home but at the office I have an older Rain Bird technical manual that shows the correct wiring so that two controllers can operate one PSR. You do need two smaller relays to keep the controllers isolated from each other. When I get into the office on Monday I'll have to pull it out and scan it for you. It's a handy piece of reference to have. The two smaller relays are only about $25 each.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

You might find a product called an Isolator that only requires one for two controllers.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with the other posts suggesting you contact your irrigation manufacturer for an isolation relay schematic. If you back-feed the RC-7A with 24 VAC through the Master Valve circuit (from the other controller) it will activate the rapid advance motor, click over to Station 1, and start the controller.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTekGeek View Post
I agree with the other posts suggesting you contact your irrigation manufacturer for an isolation relay schematic. If you back-feed the RC-7A with 24 VAC through the Master Valve circuit (from the other controller) it will activate the rapid advance motor, click over to Station 1, and start the controller.
One of those happenings that make the poor installers tear their hair.