Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-09-2013, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Needing some Help with Buisness set up

Ok, so ive been following and reading post after post on here to get my buisness more in line with what a "real lawn care buisness should be". Oh..and we are in texas, and I'm 43 years old if that matters. Looking for inputs on what else I NEED to do to run legal, and any other advice on what yall THINK would be benifical.

1. I established my name and strive to do quality work every time. My customer base has expanded to about 20 customers, and I now have commercial grade equipment for reliablilty. In past years, it was strictly cash for equipment, but this year I decided to finance an exmark 30 to increase my efficiency. Most of my yards are smaller residentials.

2. I have the logo set up, and am not too concerned about advertising yet. I do this as a daytime buisness and I work nightshift mainly for my main job. I have a decent number of customers to keep my (and my son) busy.

3. I registered our buisness name with the courthouse clerk, and paid the money for that.

4. I am having my taxes done by an accountant this year to see how things need to be "accounted for". I dont have the seperate Tax ID, and im guessing it will be filed under my social sec number, and filed along with our personal taxes this year. I am also considering quickbooks for tracking everything this year, if they say it would be benificial.

5. I currently work out of my personal truck and track mileage, but may be purchasing a dedicated pick up truck for the buisness.

5. Working on the liabililty insurance next. Now lets move on to my question:

I recently got a check that was made to my buisness name and not my real name. This presented a problem prior to having the "DBA" paperwork completed. Now that I have the DBA paperwork, I can cash those checks.

I was going to set up a "business checking account" using the buisness name, but they charge 10 bucks a month if the balance is under 3500 bucksm and there is a limited number of deposits you can make, along with a limited number of transactions (debit card purchases, checks, etc) per month. follow me here, the question is coming...LOL.

So, the bank offers free checking for personal accounts, but not buisnesses. First off, what benifit is there to a "dedicated buisness account? I dont want to get nickeled and dimed by spending 10 bucks a month on the checking account, and 26 bucks a month for quickbooks online if I dont need it. Ive also priced the quickbooks program, and my just buy it and NOT get the online version. Still trying to decide, so...Any inputs would be appreciated. I could just get a Free Personnal Account with debit card for no monthly fees, and save 120 bucks a year there. If I get the quickbooks program instead of the online version, thats a saving of about 100 bucks a year. Online is 27 a month, and the program was around 225 to purchase if i remember correctly. One benifit to the online version is that Im assuming it would integrate well with my Iphone 4s.

keep in mind this is a side buisness, and my intent is to keep it that way, and manage my accounts so I can maintain lawns during the day while working my main nightshift job.

Oh, and if I decide to get the dedicated pick up truck, I will be getting the truck vinyled for advertising, BUT...what is involved if I have a dedicated work truck in texas. still researching this. I assume I can simply add it to our insurance policy, or do I need to open a seperate account for a work truck.

I've considered an LLC also, but first things first....I'd like to say im walking before running, but right now I feel like I may be walking in circles...LOL.
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower

Last edited by rbljack; 03-09-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I brought quick book pro 2013 for 130 on eBay. I like it much better than the online version I had before. And to be honest, I didn't care much for the online version on the iPhone.

You only need an ein number if you have employees
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For some one as small as you a 1 mill liability should cost around 1k a year with inland marine. At least that's the numbers here in W Mich. Id look at Credit Unions. They are generally easier to work with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a regular personal checking account that recieves only the checks from the business and the disbursements to other personal checking accounts from there...
gov't doesn't care how you keep records or what kind of checking account you have as long as there is a paper trail that makes sense as being proper and reasonable...
quickbooks are a waste of time in that you are rewriting your transactions an extra time... everything pertaining to taxes is in the checkbook, timecard and cumulative invoice sheet...

Be sure you have a state tax number,,, a sales tax number is required becuz in most states your invoices for services rendered are subject to sales/use tax... you are correct in that the SSN is adequate for sole proprieter of a personal business...
Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't need sales tax in md because we are providing a service. But everywhere is different
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Find another bank.

My bank has free business checking. Just pay for new checks when you run out.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

well I ended up finding a buisness checking account for free at another bank. I got my taxes done by a CPA and will be going back tomorrow to see how thats going to work out. I signed up for quickbooks online essentials to try it out for a month.

So far, its ok I guess. Still trying to figure it out. I know there isnt a mileage log in quickbooks. I keep a daily log for my stops, mileage, time at each location etc. is there a way to incorporate that into quickbooks so it can at least calculate the total mileage per day, week, month etc into a report? is there a workaround yall use to have get the mileage entries to at least be part of quickbooks? I dont see how its beign done. The other problem I ran into was the costing. Our costing isnt standardized. A lawn cut for lawn a might be 40 bucks, lawn b might be 45...etc. Same for all other services. I also discovered that the online essentials doesnt have an interview process to establish a lawn care "chart of accounts" template. i was hoping I could select that type of business and have it create a good starting point for the chart of accounts, but NOPE. More research to do i guess, and any help appreciated.
thanks.
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger

Old 03-30-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a mialage spot on quickbooks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Always best to keep it separate.Business and personal,write a check from the business to yourself ,makes accounting easy.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
There is a mialage spot on quickbooks
Posted via Mobile Device
I may need to be more specific. I didn't find one in the quickbooks online Essentials edition. Im debating switching over to the NON online version to get the additional features. Which version has a mileage log? Im really considering the quickbooks pro contractors version.

If there is a place to put the mileage in the quickbooks online essentials edition, can someone please enlighten me where to find it, or how to go about entering it.
Thanks
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger