Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2013, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doesnt look bad. I think the note writter was off base. Half days work and you will be good to go
Old 03-30-2013, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
So that is your yard in the winter time and they are complaining?
my thoughts exactly...looks pretty good for being winter with that many trees.

half the reason my yard isn't looking too good is that i seem to always have some project that tears it up. first it was gravel under the deck to keep the dogs from getting all muddy bobcat tore it up, then its a new fence and filling in some low spots, then its tearing up a section to put a shed on. one front yard is bare dirt because i tried to kill off the bermuda that somehow got there from previous owner, not to mention they graded that area off with clay and planted a maple tree it it. soil needs some definite tlc but its slowly getting there. hard to keep it looking nice too when your neighbors don't do the same for theirs.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think the neighbor just didn't like having a flyer put on their door and had nothing else to biatch about.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
my thoughts exactly...looks pretty good for being winter with that many trees.

half the reason my yard isn't looking too good is that i seem to always have some project that tears it up. first it was gravel under the deck to keep the dogs from getting all muddy bobcat tore it up, then its a new fence and filling in some low spots, then its tearing up a section to put a shed on. one front yard is bare dirt because i tried to kill off the bermuda that somehow got there from previous owner, not to mention they graded that area off with clay and planted a maple tree it it. soil needs some definite tlc but its slowly getting there. hard to keep it looking nice too when your neighbors don't do the same for theirs.
True, both my front and back yards have taken a beating the last few years. A lot of the trees on the property are dying off and falling. Each time one falls its horrible on the lawn. Between the divots and stuff it leaves behind. It also doesn't help that my yards drainage is horrible and it becomes a swamp very easily. Then the well pump took a crap a year ago and had to dig that up in the front yard. The front yard grass wise is bad, quite a few bare spots and all along the driveway its pretty scarce. I'm hoping that in the next few weeks to overseed heavy and spread some pre-emerg and fertilizer. Then re-seed the real bad spots. The back is whole other deal and has been an ongoing deal since we bought the place. This year I had already planned on filling in the top pond and re-seeding as well as taking out a bunch of shrubs and stuff. So it's gonna some work but it will look good when done.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

BTW I wouldn't put pre-em and seed down anywhere near the same time. Concentrate on growing a good stand of turf, then address the weeds. Aerate, seed and fert. Your front yard at least should have the nicest turf in the neighborhood. Plus you will learn a lot on how to make the customers look as good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
BTW I wouldn't put pre-em and seed down anywhere near the same time. Concentrate on growing a good stand of turf, then address the weeds. Aerate, seed and fert. Your front yard at least should have the nicest turf in the neighborhood. Plus you will learn a lot on how to make the customers look as good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the advice. I will keep everyone posted on the progress.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

as i was looking at your pics the only thing i was thinking is it just needs a little cleanup and tree work. you got the cleanup part of it, and looks much better :thumbs:
Old 03-31-2013, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good job on your cleanup. It didn't even look bad at all. You have a very nice house and property you should be proud of that! Neighbors can be real jealous some times with buisiness owners especially if they see your equiptment laying all over the place. And maybe that lady doesn't like seeing your camper in your yard who know's people are funny, but you keep your place looking good for your neighbors don't let her ruin your day.Do you have alot of equiptment or just keep it somewhere else or do you leave it in your garage. I moved to a rural country area to build a shop and yard because as I grew with equiptment etc neighbors started getting funny about seeing me grow. I live at a seperate property also with my wife and I drive a normal vehicle non lettered from my house to shop so my neighbors don't even know that I do landscaping. I won't even work for my neighbors just don't want to go there.
1997 Ford F250
2010 John Deere 315 skidloader
44inch Toro Z-master
44inch Toro walk-behind
36inch Toro walk-behind
48inch Exmark Metro walk-behind
Stilh and husqavarna power equiptment
haulin 16 ft enclosed trailer for mowers
haulin 18 ft enclosed trailer for landscaping
Old 03-31-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
Good job on your cleanup. It didn't even look bad at all. You have a very nice house and property you should be proud of that! Neighbors can be real jealous some times with buisiness owners especially if they see your equiptment laying all over the place. And maybe that lady doesn't like seeing your camper in your yard who know's people are funny, but you keep your place looking good for your neighbors don't let her ruin your day.Do you have alot of equiptment or just keep it somewhere else or do you leave it in your garage. I moved to a rural country area to build a shop and yard because as I grew with equiptment etc neighbors started getting funny about seeing me grow. I live at a seperate property also with my wife and I drive a normal vehicle non lettered from my house to shop so my neighbors don't even know that I do landscaping. I won't even work for my neighbors just don't want to go there.
Thank you for the compliment, I appreciate it. I don't have a lot of equipment. 54" JD ZTR, pull behind aerator, Lesco spreader, back back sprayer, Jrco tine dethatcher,bagger system for the ZTR,2 Stihl trimmers and some other miscellaneous things. All of which squeezes in my garage. Thinking about getting a 36" walk behind if i can get some more accounts which isn't going very well.....
The only thing that is outside is my trailer and a wheel barrow. I put in the gravel pad for my trailer and my camper so it wouldn't look like a redneck (which I am) lived here. I'm sure that quite a few people in my neighborhood know I do this type of work since they see me with the trailer and mower going in and out. I don't have any accounts in my neighborhood except for my next door neighbor that I do leaf removal for and mow for when they are away. I don't think I want any accounts in my neighborhood now....
Old 05-06-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Just thought I would put up a few updated photos of my front yard after a little overseeding and seeding some bare spots.