Register free!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think its really odd. I never find anything more than a fine layer of dust, no big grit or particles. You would think more guys would have this issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Good info. Lasting only 4 months, mine last longer but I don't have near the customers you do. I was thinking of taking mine off during the slow times and cleaning them but they are tough to get off.

K,
What brand/type of battery do you use.
A deep cycle marine battery from Wal-Mart. The biggest one i could squeeze in the back tray.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
think it would help to take a blow gun and blow the engine off at the end of the day?
I do, and it does. I do the best I can with it but its just not practical for me to take the tank off, then the motor cover to reach the deepest recesses of the motor on a daily basis.

I have a fine tipped gun for the compressed air and believe me, I stick it in every little hole I can find on the outside of that motor...

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 03-30-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm also looking in to a steam cleaner to go over it and thoroughly clean it. I'm not sure that this will help underneath the flywheel though.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 03-30-2013, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I'm also looking in to a steam cleaner to go over it and thoroughly clean it. I'm not sure that this will help underneath the flywheel though.
Won't help under the flywheel and you really don't want it under there. Steam is a good idea for getting the chems off the rest of the machine though. Anything that can remove the caustic stuff from surfaces is bound to help. I'm watching a shos right now that is talking about new products from wd 40. They have a thin protectant lubricant spray that doesn't let grit stick to it. Sounds very useful for our equipment and conditions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrashears View Post
A deep cycle marine battery from Wal-Mart. The biggest one i could squeeze in the back tray.
Theres many wheelchair/mobility batteries that have high Amp Hours that will fit right in the existing battery box.

A deep cycle in the back tray must make that thing wheelie happy.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of fert are you running Ted?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe fiberglass window screen fastened over the air intake fin area. This should stop most of the particles. Also...try to devise a metal or plastic shield to prevent any fert or fert dust from getting back on the motor.

I agree with you--a heavy coat of sealer or paint should protect the wires. Yet you do no want the wires to heat up.
A less dusty fert should help. And try to avoid any nitrates (urea is less corrosive). Potassium chloride is also a source of a moisture attraction.
And low humidity would be a help...they say Phoenix is nice this time of year...or at least store it in a dry garage with a bit of heat in cool weather to drive out the humidity. Use a gauge--keep humidity under 50 percent.

Maybe a Kawasaki stator coil would work better--of course it will fit--if you don't mind making a few alterations.
does Kawi add a sealer?

Last edited by RigglePLC; 03-30-2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: added
Old 03-30-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
Theres many wheelchair/mobility batteries that have high Amp Hours that will fit right in the existing battery box.

A deep cycle in the back tray must make that thing wheelie happy.
Not really. Of course, I always keep 100+lbs of fert in the hopper during blanket season. Never let it get below 50 during fert season.

I marked my hopper on the inside in 25lb increment lines.