Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For the little bit of seed you need for your yard, online is your best bet. You don't want the builder's mix, that's probably the lowest grade seed there is.

http://www.google.com/search?q=princ...I7GPCK_enUS320

The best process to seed for you (without me seeing the yard) is to aerate and then rake with a steel rake. No slice-seeder, bermuda seed is tiny, it need's to be on top of the ground. A slice seeder would plant it too deep and it wouldn't grow. No straw either. It's much more important that you keep that seed wet, don't let those seedling's dry out, they will die, fast.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, I understand about the quality of builder grade seed. That was what I was referring to when I stated that's all the local store carried.

I can keep it wet. We have lots of hoses and timers. Because of the straw beds we created the lawn areas are not too big and we can keep it wet without dragging hoses across the seeded areas.

Wow, it's a much simpler process than I thought it would be! Just need to find someone to aerate it for me.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, you don't want to be dragging hose's, after a couple of day's of watering your yard will be a quagmire.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Just figured up the square footage, and added 10%. At 3 lbs per 1000 sq. ft. I will need 27 lbs. or $600 in seed. Might have to do front yard and then backyard next spring.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A pound of bermuda has a average of 1.75 million seed's per pound. Some people recommend 2 1/2 Lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. If you are sure of your irrigation then you can use this lower rate. I alway's say 3 Lbs. to account for seedling mortality, but if your sure you won't let the seedling's dry out, go for it, it's less competition for the young grass and that's a good thing.

If you have to split growing in your front and back yard's, that will be easier on you and that's a good thing too. One year later and you'll know all the little trick's that make the job easier and go faster.

Last edited by agrostis; 03-30-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

We were just discussing all of this. We are going to get a soil test done next week. I think it will take a couple of weeks to get the results back. I'm sure we will need to amend the soil, so this will be added expense on top of the seed and aerating. Today, we went ahead and sprayed the entire lawn with 2-4-d.

We have decided to overseed just the front lawn this year. Like you said, when we get to the back yard we should be old pros with the process. There is so much to be done to this neglected property. The lawn Reno is just one project of many.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If your getting UGA to do the testing, getting the result's will probably take closer to a month, they have a lot of work at this time of year.

What kind of spreader are you going to use to seed your lawn?
Old 03-30-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Is there another option for testing? I have a broadcast spreader.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your other option is a private lab, i'm sure that's more expensive and using one is unfamiliar to me.

Since you sprayed with 2-4,D your seeding interval is two week's, and know that you probably won't get everything, you'll just have to see.

When you do seed you'll have to mix the bermuda with either sand or milorganite, The seed is so small that it need's a carrier to spread correctly. I like milorganite better, but if you use sand make sure it is completely dry, wet sand will not go through a spreader.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

What is the ratio of seed to Milorganite? The seed I find online are "coated".

Tags
kill weeds , overseed , renovate lawn , spray weeds , weeds