Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2013, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Need to learn how to run a trackhoe

In a couple of weeks I'm going to need to know how to run a small (Yanmar) trackhoe.

I can go rent one, and, if... I can find a place to practice I plan on doing that.

Lots of youtube videos out there, but not many that show how the controls work and stuff like that.

Anybody got any advice? How about links to some instructional videos, etc?

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Simple as cake. What are you going to be doing with it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Best thing to do is rent the machine of choice and learn it. Every machine will handle differently, practice before doing the job. Also call digsafe before digging for markings and look into getting your hoisting license.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Simple as cake. What are you going to be doing with it
Posted via Mobile Device
Planting a few trees.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If your just digging tree holes, plan on an extra hour on the day your going to do the work and find a place (with no underground utilities) to practice. Its nothing you can read about, you just have to do it. If you are just starting out, the best piece of advice is start out learning ISO or CAT pattern. SAE or Deere pattern is the other option. Both of these will be on the pattern changer on the machine. Pick ISO and this is coming from an SAE operator. Learn this from the start, and it might make life easier later on.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
If your just digging tree holes, plan on an extra hour on the day your going to do the work and find a place (with no underground utilities) to practice. Its nothing you can read about, you just have to do it. If you are just starting out, the best piece of advice is start out learning ISO or CAT pattern. SAE or Deere pattern is the other option. Both of these will be on the pattern changer on the machine. Pick ISO and this is coming from an SAE operator. Learn this from the start, and it might make life easier later on.
Cool. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a video I mad a while ago showing how all the controls work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NfEybx57R0

You can also check out the "How To" section of my YouTube channel for a lot of videos on how to do other things with an excavator.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...339A86BADA25CA

Anyone can run equipment, very few can operate.

Check out what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BobcatNinja2124

The company I work for.
http://www.interstatelandscapenh.com/

Follow me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/TheDirtNinja
Old 04-01-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
Pick ISO and this is coming from an SAE operator. Learn this from the start, and it might make life easier later on.
Why ISO over SAE in an ex?

I switched from H-pattern to ISO in skid steers 2 years ago and could never go back because of how touchy and quick newer machines are but with excavators it's a completely different story with having movement on the foot pedals.

Also just get used to using the foot pedals for moving the ex around. Nothing makes me more uncomfortable/nervous than a guy using the hand levers to move an excavator around because they always just watch the left track and never the boom/stick/attachment and where it is.

Jump-turns are your friend, especially on bigger machines with wider pads.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I've run many different types of excavators including the old heinwerner(sp) Those machines would wear a person out, feet and hands are constantly going. No matter the setup you just have to learn to coordinate your moves. Once your brain gets all your limbs working on the same level you won't even realize what's happening. I'm with Ksss just try to get the machine an hr or so before you need it and learn "the moves". When ever I run my machine I go through all the motions to help warm up the machine plus it gets my mind set on what I'll be doing.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Wall Structures View Post
Why ISO over SAE in an ex?

I switched from H-pattern to ISO in skid steers 2 years ago and could never go back because of how touchy and quick newer machines are but with excavators it's a completely different story with having movement on the foot pedals.

Also just get used to using the foot pedals for moving the ex around. Nothing makes me more uncomfortable/nervous than a guy using the hand levers to move an excavator around because they always just watch the left track and never the boom/stick/attachment and where it is.

Jump-turns are your friend, especially on bigger machines with wider pads.
ISO because when you move to bigger iron most machines that dont have a pattern changer are ISO. So if your familiar with ISO from the start its never an issue. That is not the case with SAE. You can change the hyd lines on the valve bank but its a pain and you have to know the machine to pull that off without experimenting. If I could do it again I would have learned ISO, since I went from wobble sticks on a backhoe, it became second nature to run SAE in an excavator. It has bitten me numerous times, but I am not interested in learning to run ISO at this point.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.