Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Member

This does not make sense to me , I mean with that kind of money the owner could have a hydro seeding company come in with equipment and hydro seed the lawn and be done in a couple days and be done right , but if the offer for you to work on this guys yard for at least $30 hr for 2 months is there I would say go for it , sounds funky to me though , I think you may be getting in over your head on this one , and if you are starting a business you do not want a bad reputation to start , just take jobs you can handle, leave the big stuff to the big company's , your time will come for the big jobs , thats my thoughts at least , good luck.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

You can't look at it as milking the clock. While on worksite don't loaf around just because he gave you a two month time limit. I always think of work in the future if I do good job. These guys aren't saying it would only take two days if they had crews. From the amount of work described it sounds like an easy job. Pull some bushes, level a little dirt and seed. It's just hard to get a scope of job with no pics. Alot of good info on this site and people on here are helpful. If no other jobs lined up go for it and use as learning experience. Do small jobs in a logical order to make you more efficient. Don't do the same thing twice...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sklandscape View Post
...the house im doing is 2 acres and needs a full restoration pulling out old bushes, leveling the ground and planting grass needs to look brand new there's only dirt
Okay, this whole "daily" pricing thing is a different tactic than what I use. If it works I guess go for it, but here's my .02.

So the lot size is 2 acres, which going buy a "Builders Acre", you're looking at 80,000 sq ft, minus the house, garage, land/hardscaped areas. I would look at this as more of a "landscape" job, not a maintenance gig.

First, how many bushes? A few, or rows of 20? How many actual sq feet of "dirt" are you playing with? What grade do you need to set? Typically you want a 2% grade sloping away from the house when establishing a new lawn to help with proper drainage. To measure this, put a stake at the house, then another stake 50ft away. Take a string and tie to both stakes, and make sure it's level. The distance between the second stake and the ground from the string should be 1ft or more. If so, your slope is fine. If not, you need to move some dirt around. Are you going with seed or sod? And you will definitely need topsoil because a subgrade (initial layer of dirt all tilled up) won't support a lawn. Again, this ties in to how much sq footage you'r dealing with. You want between 4-6 inches of topsoil on top of the subgrade you initially tilled. Then you can lay your sod/seed.

Get all your measurements, then get your cost of materials to complete the job. Next, you're going to want to rent a machine. Go rent a compact tractor with a 3-Point grader and front end loader. That's probably $200 a day on the high end. This will allow you to get everything done fast and efficient, especially by yourself. Say you can get the job done in 2 or 3 days, it's about $400 to $600, however the price of the job would make that affordable. You can have all your material delivered, and the job would make you much more money if you did it in 2 days, not 2 months. 2 full days planned the right way is much more efficient than 2 months.

Final point. I cannot give you any advice on what to charge. I have no idea your costs and cost of supplies. What I can advise you on is do not do this job over 2 months. Get it done how it should and can be done, which is in a few days.

Equipment/Work
Old 03-30-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm trying to figure out the bid.

5 days a week @ $300 per day x 8 weeks = 12k in labor + materials?

Why wouldn't you give him a firm price of 12k + materials and sub the job to someone who can blow it out in a few days and collect a %
Old 03-30-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
I'm trying to figure out the bid.

5 days a week @ $300 per day x 8 weeks = 12k in labor + materials?

Why wouldn't you give him a firm price of 12k + materials and sub the job to someone who can blow it out in a few days and collect a %
Agreed. This sounds like a good way to get in way over your head. This biz is about quality and volume, and it's hard to have volume if your jobs take 2 months. Price the job accordingly, get a deposit, knock out the job in a few days, and get paid.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Cody S.: ok thanks for the help full insight, ok so if the "daily pricing wouldn't be the ideal way of pricing how would you go about doing it?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lol...he sounds like some of my FORMER employees. Hearing, but not listening or comprehending.
Greensboro NC
Old 03-31-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sklandscape View Post
Cody S.: ok thanks for the help full insight, ok so if the "daily pricing wouldn't be the ideal way of pricing how would you go about doing it?
Okay well let me put it like this. First, get a wheel tape and measure everything that needs materials, then figure out what you need of each. So here is my "example" of how I would price a job like that.

Say the area is 100x75. This is 7,500 sq ft. Now, say you need top soil. Once you grade to subgrade it shouldn't be too bad to accept sod, however I do not know what you are dealing with. For the sake of the example, I'm going to say that I rented a compact tractor for $175/day and graded it, and I only needed a small layer of topsoil, say 2 inches down, so I'm going to get about 45 yards of topsoil. Say I get topsoil for $20/yard, this comes out to about $900. Now comes the sod. If I can get sod for $0.20 per sq foot, then that translates into $1500 for sod. So, so far for materials we have $900 for topsoil, and $1500 for sod. Then there is the $175/day cost of renting the tractor, however you cannot justify adding in that cost to the cost of the job. A good reason why is if another company had a machine they would not have a "rental fee" in their bid, and it would be lower.

So, you have $2,400 in materials. Now, what are your labor costs? Now say you have 20 bushes to remove, all medium sized shrubs. With the bucket on the tractor you can get one out in 20 min. This translates to 6 hours of labor. For that lets say you charge $360. However, that is without dump fees, which unless you leave them there or have a place to take them, you will have those. So after dump fees you charge $400. You have your labor for the bushes, lets get your final cost now. Based on my example numbers, and my labor rates, I would charge between $6,000 and $6,500. That is on the higher end.

Remember, this is all an example, but it should give you an idea how to price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's incredibly hard to price over the web for a job. It's about as bad as a guy calling and asking how much to re mulch his beds.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
It's incredibly hard to price over the web for a job. It's about as bad as a guy calling and asking how much to re mulch his beds.
Exactly. You also can't run a business off of other people's pricing
Posted via Mobile Device