Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have cut a couple here of cables recently with my bed redefiner. Both times they weren't even 2 inches deep. The cable company fixed it at no charge. I guess they also realized it wasn't buried deep enough.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
the line got taped back together last night and kinda worked, but i went out to splice it all back together with connectors i got from radio shack. it wouldn't work. so, I pulled up the cable in the area, and found that it was hardly an inch in the ground. and I had actually chewed the line all to hell about 6 different spots. the line wasn't visible at all, still it wasn't buried deep enough. this cable line never had a chance. I told them to call comcast back, and make sure they tell them that the line wasn't buried deep enough and they need to fix it for no charge. hopefully that works out. because if they don't fix it, i'm gonna buy a new line and fix it and bury it myself. so a freebie job will turn into me paying to work. I think a disclaimer sounds good... from here on out i'm gonna have something like that in writing.
I'm afraid that a disclaimer from the customer won't stand up in court with facility owners.

You have opened up a topic which is much more complicated than simply depriving the ho of a few hrs of home entertainment.

Our infrastructure is in a constant state of disrepair, it is a combination of antiquated technology and temporary improvements to handle expansion and growth.

That new subdivision that you may be working in may have originally been 2 feet higher than what the existing grade is now, utility cover depth may have been changed by cuts & fills. Power and gas mains are the real worries fos safety but the bottom line is that all utilities are facility property until it terminates at a meter or interface. Hence the HO cannot release the equipment operator of liability.

Dial Before You Dig is the law and if you call in and use reasonable caution, minor damage is an in field tech call and can be either free or way expensive. That depends on how you have acted and reacted.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Stuff happens, I cant believe a freind thinks you should pay for that let alone a customer.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
I'm afraid that a disclaimer from the customer won't stand up in court with facility owners.

You have opened up a topic which is much more complicated than simply depriving the ho of a few hrs of home entertainment.

Our infrastructure is in a constant state of disrepair, it is a combination of antiquated technology and temporary improvements to handle expansion and growth.

That new subdivision that you may be working in may have originally been 2 feet higher than what the existing grade is now, utility cover depth may have been changed by cuts & fills. Power and gas mains are the real worries fos safety but the bottom line is that all utilities are facility property until it terminates at a meter or interface. Hence the HO cannot release the equipment operator of liability.

Dial Before You Dig is the law and if you call in and use reasonable caution, minor damage is an in field tech call and can be either free or way expensive. That depends on how you have acted and reacted.
Posted via Mobile Device

While I respect you on this forum, I have to disagree with you on this. I have recently found (the hard way) fiber optic line in a bed when putting in some bulbs for a customer. I cut a phone line last year when re edging a bed and have pierced a coax with an aerator as well. The utility company repaired all these issues for my customers. I do think the problem lies in that these service providers don't care about the quality of the install and just do the bare minimum. None of these line breaks were deeper than 4".

BTW the main gas line for my neighborhood is only 10" deep running through my front lawn, glad I called.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
I have to disagree with you on this. I have recently found (the hard way) fiber optic line in a bed when putting in some bulbs for a customer. I cut a phone line last year when re edging a bed
I have to assume that you didn't repair either, you notifide the facilities.
Quote:
None of these line breaks were deeper than 4".
These installers should be fired since both are installed after grading.

Quote:
BTW the main gas line for my neighborhood is only 10" deep running through my front lawn, glad I called.
This is not about me being right or not. Once utilities are buried things can happen to make them shallow but 10 in is criminal.

My point is that you become part of the solution when you get a ticket rather than placing yourself in jepordy by not.

Things are changing and the consequences of unticketed damage are going to be more severe than we can imagine right now.

We aren't really disagreeing about that much knox.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You are correct, I notified the customer and called the utility and everyone went on with their life. There is no fixing these utilities with any underground splice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im not calling locate to do 2-3" deep aerations. Period.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-01-2013, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You live and you learn.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 04-01-2013, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree for aerations it seems useless, but for actual digging like planting or roto-tilling and such I would call for sure. Ive never had an issue with aerations but you never know I guess. Often times the cable company doesn't even know how deep it is anyway so the call is useless, imho.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Around here, the Comcast contractors bury them MAYBE 2" deep TOPS. I hit the one in my front yard one time. It was maybe 1.5" under ground.

They've even gotten to the point where they aren't tunneling under the driveways anymore, they're going all the way around the house.

I hit one of my customer's cable last summer with the mower, the dirt had eroded away leaving it exposed. Luckily, at the time she was using Direct TV so it wasn't in use. I went by there a few weeks ago and a new cable had been buried. I guess she switched back to comcast. She's a cheapskate anyways constantly switching service to save a few bucks. Doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle to me to save $10 a month.