Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I get up because I wanna make a name for myself, I wanna do things and I want to be comfortable later on in life. I am working my ass off now hoping it'll all pay off so that my company will be running itself and I can be out fishing somewhere.

I've got lots more..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What keeps me going is seeing the failure of everyone else. Someone I was instilled to think outside the box when I was young saw all these kids going off to college with no future and coming back with still no future and a house loan of college debt. Then I saw the trade job in my area capping at $15 a hr. So basically I saw the norm of capping at $15 a hr with benefits and that's just not good enough. Also I could never do the same thing day in and day out.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
RSK, good story man. thats the kinda stuff i was looking to read. good for you. 24 yrs old, Keep going!
Thanks and I am, even more then last year, every year i do better and better, going up and up....the sky is the limit, another reason i push, is because my aunts and uncles, think i'll be tight for money once i buy a house and have to change my spending habits, and i know they are wrong, and i will prove it to them, another reason is one of aunts who my mom talks to every that lives in another state is always telling my mom what her son was just given by family friend, and kinda bragging to my mom, she gives it back, but once i buy a house, and the personal truck i want it will be game over for all of them, and then i'll be on the top. and once i roll up in the 08-10 porsche 911 turbo i want they will shut up pretty quick. and I will get one, but i have to wait until i have a house before that car as used they still cost a decent amount. but i will get one in the next 5 years or less.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I started landscaping out of boredom honestly, When i got out of the military i took 80 days of terminal leave, So i sat around my house still getting paid for almost 3 months. then i started to collect un-employment for another 6 months. My younger brother was working with a landscaper, so i started to help them out of boredom, eventually i started working with another landscaper, after a couple years of working for the other guy i branched out and started my own thing part time, after doing it for about a year part time i went full time.

My main goal at that time was to out grow the 2 other landscapers i worked for, they have both been in business since 1986, After the second year i was bigger then both of them combined.

Now my real motivation is to embarrass the local haters/scrubs, I have a few company's out my way that can't seem to figure out how we grew so fast so they spread rumors, and talk alot of crap behind my back. Truth is, if they spent half the time working on their own businesses that they did worrying about me, they would be successful.

So what really gets me up in the morning is doing everything i can to out grow the competition, and do a better job.

I cant fart on my property without 5 people noticing i did so, And that makes me happy. Every time i get a new piece of equipment,modify my trucks,change a tire, whatever, I get 3 phone calls from people asking about it. Or so and so said you got a new mower, so and so said you have a mini excavator in your yard, did you buy it or rent it????

And all of this makes me smile and work harder every day.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here

Last edited by THEGOLDPRO; 04-01-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Member

holy loaded question batman...
i guess i have never been much of a follower even though my mom has always told me to take the "safe" route working for someone else for crap pay BUT omg... benefits! for the rest of my life... not my cup of... tea, er beer lol. i dont drink tea. my employers usually thought i had a bad attitude because i always spoke up if i saw a better way to do things, and i have issues with bosses im smarter than.
anyways my dad has been a business owner since i was 12 (24 now) and i tried to take both my parents advice, and more and more i started leaning towards my own ventures. i started with auto detailing, and still do it, but i like to move around when im working and be outside, i have learned that about myself. another thing i have learned is i cant stand working for low pay under a boss that isn't as smart or hard working as myself, i try to say this without sounding arrogant but its true. i ended up putting a few feeler ads out on craigslist for property services while still working for a lawn care/landscaping company and ended up landing a few jobs. it has all been uphill from there, investing wisely, and working hard. still plenty to learn i know this as i am still pretty new to the industry but what drives me now is making yards look amazing, making some real money for a living, playing the business game like it was meant to be played, respect, and the ability to support a family sometime in the future.
i think once i get a decent client base established i will take my area by storm, and other lcs companies including my former employers wont know what happened. egg on face. i laugh.

Last edited by Element Property Mgmt; 04-01-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

open the pizza shop, its your life not theres, dont live your life for otheres. re-read this 5 times.

2011 hd2500 chevy
2008 28 kaw 60 ULTRA CUT exmark.
2008 28 kaw 60 ULTRA CUT exmark.
90 chevy 1 ton truck
89 chevry half ton
85 i ton dump
16 hp leaf loader
3 snow plows, 2 salt spreader
8 x 20 enclosed carmate trailer, red with refrigirator
2 little wonders 10briggs ( boo) and 9hp honda
21 inch com. toro with susuki engine.
30 inch time cutter ,echo weedeaters and still backback
misc tools.
cuttin evrey summer since i was 10. now 39.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juspayme View Post
open the pizza shop, its your life not theres, dont live your life for otheres. re-read this 5 times.
justpayme, I enjoy what im doing at the moment or i would. plus i want my wife to stay home with the kids and the overhead on a restaurant is huge. i may one day but weed control and fert/pressure washing is keeping me occupied now. plus nobody thinks i can do it so that helps. as jim harbaugh says, WHO DOES IT BETTER THEN US??? NOOOOBODY
Old 04-01-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
I started landscaping out of boredom honestly, When i got out of the military i took 80 days of terminal leave, So i sat around my house still getting paid for almost 3 months. then i started to collect un-employment for another 6 months. My younger brother was working with a landscaper, so i started to help them out of boredom, eventually i started working with another landscaper, after a couple years of working for the other guy i branched out and started my own thing part time, after doing it for about a year part time i went full time.

My main goal at that time was to out grow the 2 other landscapers i worked for, they have both been in business since 1986, After the second year i was bigger then both of them combined.

Now my real motivation is to embarrass the local haters/scrubs, I have a few company's out my way that can't seem to figure out how we grew so fast so they spread rumors, and talk alot of crap behind my back. Truth is, if they spent half the time working on their own businesses that they did worrying about me, they would be successful.

So what really gets me up in the morning is doing everything i can to out grow the competition, and do a better job.

I cant fart on my property without 5 people noticing i did so, And that makes me happy. Every time i get a new piece of equipment,modify my trucks,change a tire, whatever, I get 3 phone calls from people asking about it. Or so and so said you got a new mower, so and so said you have a mini excavator in your yard, did you buy it or rent it????

And all of this makes me smile and work harder every day.
thanks for serving, good story and if you have haters you must be doing something right...I have been wondering the story of "Thegoldpro" for a while now i know.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Define "succeed."

I just don't ever want to have to answer to anyone but myself. As long as the bills are paid then I'm a happy man.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-01-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, I'm almost 28 years old and getting married soon. No kids yet.

Fortunately for me, my parents always have been very encouraging and supportive. My mom is an entrenprenuer (she's an interior designer/decorator). That's where I get my entreprenueral spirit. My dad is an associate director/continuous improvement consultant in manufacturing for a very large food company. They basically pay him to go around to their plants and fix the struggling ones to make them profitable again. That's where I get my "How can I do this more efficiently/effectively" attribute.

I was always very independent and wanted to do things myself for the learning aspect. I like to understand how things work and what makes them tick.

For me it's not necessarily the money (although money does make the world go round). It's more of that personal accomplishment to say, "I did that!" or "I Built that!". I don't look at a "job" as something thay pays the bills, I look at each "job" I do as a stepping stone towards the next thing to broaden my skillsets that happens to make money. That was something my dad always drilled into my head as a kid. I also set personal goals for myself.

I've reached a few goals and I have many many more to reach. The next major goal for the next 5 years is to take the lawn Maintenance/Turf care full time. I've been slowly growing and paying cash for everything. Doubling my profits every year (still small profits but profits nonetheless. 37% margin last year). Right now I do that part-time and have a full time corporate job that pays me well and I enjoy it but it's not something I want to do forever and I can only get so far here.

Long term goal is to build the business enough to where I can sell it and take the proceeds to get into the real estate/house flipping/rental business.