Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-06-2003, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Low Profile or Deck over dump Trailer?

Been looking at dump trailers and was wondering what would be the best style. I have used a friends old deck over for firewwod and it worked nice. I like the low profile because I can fit equipment on it if I want to. Does the low profile dump ok? I will be using it for alot of firewood in the fall and winter. Also for stone, topsoil and mulch in the summer. Any comments from guys that have used either style would be appreciated.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Hawke dump trailer 6x12. Built very heavy duty and with 4 ft. sides. I use it for mulch, stone, yard cleanups, etc... It's a tow behind model. The goosneck setup was an option but more money. I'm very happy with it. I'm considering mounting a debris loader on the front and building a 2 foot higher top with a cover to accomodate leaves for this fall. This trailer has a 10,000 lb cap. I had 3 tons of stone on it and it dumped it with no problem. I've considered doing firewood, but it's very labor intensive. What sort of firewood setup do you have?
2008 F350 Stake body 6.4 Diesel
1992 Chevy 1500
4 Boss snowplows
1 Grasshopper 722D 61"
3 Grasshopper 223 61"
1 Kubota ZD 331 72"
1 Toro 36" W/B
1 Toro 44" W/B
1 Wright Stander 52"
1 Massey Ferguson 1428 Tractor
1 Kubota RTV 1100 diesel with broom
Husqvarna trimmers
Stihl and Redmax blowers
Old 08-08-2003, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a cam 6x12 11,960 gvw I have 4' sides and it will haul a bobcat.I have had alot of mulch in it and dirt and no problem dumping .But i have barn doors on the back which makes it easier to dump and not have it tare out.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Bayfish, I cut by hand with a Husky 372XP. I split w/a gas powered splitter that is 20 years old w/a 2 year old engine. I then throw it on my buddies F 350 stake body dump and deliver. It is very labor intensive, but I get the wood cheap by bartering w/ my brother in law, who is a logger. I only work on it for a couple of hours at a rip as not to get too soar or boared of it. I can cut, split and load 1 full cord in 3 hrs. I net about $75 a cord. Not great, but I will take it when it is slow or rainy, ex. fall and winter. I like it when I sell all of it in a couple of weeks and I get a couple of grand in my pocket before Christmas. I am still looking for a used hay elevator to help in the loading department.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:19 AM
Banned

NYRookie, I don't have a dump trailer, but have given a lot of thought to one in my future.

I personally would go with the low profile with a removable ramp/gate so that I could use it for regular equipment hauling (mowers). Then remove ramp for days when I need it for dumping.

By the way, not to get too off topic. But regarding the firewood thing, have you considered bundled firewood? I read an article in a tree industry magazine about bundled firewood versus regular split/corded firewood and the increased profits were pretty substantial. Like 3-4 times as much for the same amount of wood.

Just something to think about. Take care.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For the gate get the barn doors you can dump,move equipment and do what ever .
Old 08-25-2003, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Gogetter, I still work a full time job and do this about 30 hours a week, so no I have not really thought about bundling firewood. I have seen it at some gas stations and I can see how they make money. May be something to think about.

I have decided to get a dump insert for this season instead of the dump trailer. It will haul my firewood and leaves for the rest of this year. My buddy has a F 350 dually dump I can borrow when I want, so if I have a big job, I can use his truck. My wife is 6.5 months pregnant, so I am going to try and save as much $ as possible. I have a trailer for next year all picked out. It will be a 6'-10', 10,000 lbs, low profile with barn doors and removable ramps. I will be able to haul any kind of material I need, plus my tractor or my uncles mini excavator. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:56 AM
Banned

I'll look to see if I still have the article about bundled firewood. I think I might have saved that magazine because the article was so interesting.