Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2013, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afralich View Post
Had back surgery 14 years ago..... Well aware of the issues. Own 2 standers and 2 472 gravely mowers try one.
I may have to try one sometime.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Was ready to buy a cheetah until we demoed the air ride on the gravely
Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afralich View Post
Was ready to buy a cheetah until we demoed the air ride on the gravely
10-4
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A local LCO friend of mine uses a Snapper that is a stand-on with a small seat that he can sit and rest his knees against and lean slightly forward. This helps take away the up and down motion of the ride. Your spine is flexing with the ride rather than compression up and down.

Back recovery is different for ALL people, I know all to well. For me all therapy was useless till I started swimming 3 nights week and in no time I was pain free. With just some simple free style breast storks and reaching out for long strokes 20 to 30 minets in 3 days I was back to work pain free.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardin53 View Post
A local LCO friend of mine uses a Snapper that is a stand-on with a small seat that he can sit and rest his knees against and lean slightly forward. This helps take away the up and down motion of the ride. Your spine is flexing with the ride rather than compression up and down.

Back recovery is different for ALL people, I know all to well. For me all therapy was useless till I started swimming 3 nights week and in no time I was pain free. With just some simple free style breast storks and reaching out for long strokes 20 to 30 minets in 3 days I was back to work pain free.

Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I may need to try one of these " breast storks" you speak of. Hahaha sorry I just had to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know I came not type for $hit..
Old 04-01-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm having surgury in may. Had back issues for yrs. so I know a lot about it. A stander will not help I tried the wright and scag v ride. Made it worse. Tried ferris bad boy and Dixie all with the suspension or suspension forks. To me the Dixie with the springer was the best answer with their bigger softer tires it seemed to be a lot easier on the back. Just an honest non biased opinion. From a guy who truly has a bad back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't overlook a critical element that dictates ride characteristics

I've ridden a lot of different ztr's and obviously the ones with a suspension system of some sort are softer riding than those without. But, one of the easiest and cheapest (free in fact) ways to soften the ride of any ztr is to lower the air pressure in all 4 tires to 7-10 psi (depending on what type tire you have).

Considering how rough the ride is on a ztr (especially one without any suspension of any kind) and considering how many people like myself have back problems, I'm amazed at how often something as critical as air pressure is overlooked. A ztr's small diameter wheels/tires make the factor of air pressure extremely critical when it comes to ride quality....so starting there when looking to improve ride quality is what I'd suggest.

Even with things being at their best, in most cases the ride is still going to be on the rough side because of the roughness of most lawns and the small diameter of the ztr's wheels/tires. Being small diameter means they're going to go down into every little rough spot compared to the large diameter of a tractor wheel/tire, which simply rides over small rough places as if they weren't there.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawns Etc View Post
I'm having surgury in may. Had back issues for yrs. so I know a lot about it. A stander will not help I tried the wright and scag v ride. Made it worse. Tried ferris bad boy and Dixie all with the suspension or suspension forks. To me the Dixie with the springer was the best answer with their bigger softer tires it seemed to be a lot easier on the back. Just an honest non biased opinion. From a guy who truly has a bad back.
Posted via Mobile Device
What ferris did you try.... ?
Posted via Mobile Device