Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Setting your route for the year

It seems like every year I scramble to get my route rolling again. This year is no exception, About half my accounts are everyother week and it seems that their all gonna get stuck on the same week. Fortunately Im busy this week, but its going to rain Thursday, so some are gonna have to wait till next week but that tends to pixx people off.

Every year everyone calls all at once, never fails.

The good side is it will be nice to get busy again.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

most of mine are bi weekly too. i have people wanting me to cut on days i'm not in that area. i just tell them i can't do it until the next week since that's when i'll be in their area. i'm not gonna go driving all over town even if i do have the time. it's just not efficeint. not everyone can get their yard cut on thurs or friday. some have to get cut mon-wed. i don't even have enough yards yet so i don't work on fridays unless i have to in order to catch up because of the rain.

some expect you to come on saturday or sunday. i just don't get that. i don't work weekends just like any other normal job doesn't. i know some companies do but i have no need to do that since i'm solo. i would only work sat and sun in an extreme case where it rained alot the whole week. even then i might skip the whole week and just start over the following week. if it rained that much it would take a couple of days to dry out anyways before you could mow it.

this year is weird though. normally once i start then it's every 2 weeks but this year the weather is screwy. i cut one and then have to wait 3-4 weeks to cut it again because of this cold spurt we had. it's really making it hard to get everything organized. i still have some that haven't even started yet. i guess they are waiting on mid april???

Last edited by weeze; 04-01-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post

this year is weird though. normally once i start then it's every 2 weeks but this year the weather is screwy. i cut one and then have to wait 3-4 weeks to cut it again because of this cold spurt we had. it's really making it hard to get everything organized. i still have some that haven't even started yet. i guess they are waiting on mid april???
Thats what Im runing into, Monday 1. is a hourse farm that takes me all day. I did that one today.
Monday 2. is 3 houses a good ways so its too expensive for me do do only one of them. Thats tomarrow, after I do the normal Tuesdays houses.
I did tell the hourse farm that I may come back in 3 weeks and their cool with that, but if its warm the fescue will be knee high lol.

So wednsday is alaways decidcated to 2 weekley home that are side by side, they take all day, and the wheen both accounts have the sprinklers off. That have perfect grass and its still brown , I service them everyother week in the winter. So wednsday will get thursdays accounts because its going to rain thursday.

My Friday weekley wants me to start Friday, but if rains all day thursday I wont be able to do that one, my other Fridays accounts are biweeklwy and I havent even called them yet, Im positine those homes will be a complete diaster.

I very rearly do lawncare on Saturday, and never on Sunday. Everyyear its a rat race to get a secdule going, and Im basically full.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate bi weekly accounts.

if i had a full schedule i doubte i would take them. or at least they would be lowest priority and dropped if the quality dropped because of it.

why is it hard to get them on schedule? first few weeks of hte season are slow growing, skipping a week for them would not be too noticable.

if they call just give them an exact day you will be there they shoudl be happy with that.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it's different down here. most yards we cut are bigger than up north so the customers can't afford to pay for weekly mowing. i have a couple that are 2 1/2 acres in size. they only pay for bi weekly.

i do have a few small weekly yards though but that is a rare thing.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

does your grass grow slower down there? up here if you dont cut once a week it can get out of hand real quick. i go biweekly during the hot times.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have 7 weeklys and 8 biweeklys, warm season grass frows slower than fescue or bluegrass. Wez is correct all my accounts are large and some cant afford weekley service. Plus some are zoysia and that grows slow.

When I had mys business in So California everything is weekley, fescue grows fast, and the yards are tiny.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I have 7 weeklys and 8 biweeklys, warm season grass frows slower than fescue or bluegrass. Wez is correct all my accounts are large and some cant afford weekley service. Plus some are zoysia and that grows slow.

When I had mys business in So California everything is weekley, fescue grows fast, and the yards are tiny.
and freakin expensive from what i hear. and i have no idea how anything grows. my buddy spent a month there and it did not rain once.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
and freakin expensive from what i hear. and i have no idea how anything grows. my buddy spent a month there and it did not rain once.
It usually rains all the time, in Bama.

In California it almost never rains after May, until October, and yes its freeking expensive, not to mention that english is a second langague, lol
Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, it is a joy when everyone calls at once.
That is why I start before they get ready to call.

I have learned which customers I can start most any day who won't say a word if I'm "3 days early," so to speak.
I start out with those, most of these have really nice, lush lawns...

Then I have learned which customers don't care when I show up, so long I show up one day, soon...
Even a week late they won't call, these kind I leave for last.

Everyone else I get in the middle.
Those who call get moved up the list.

Trick #1047:
ALWAYS leave an opening EVERY day!
Yes, every single day there exists on my schedule a good hour or two of empty space.
Works wonders when someone calls around 11am and can you get to me, soon?

Beyond that...
Nothing more I can do.