Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

?Starting a Bobcat/Skidsteer service?

I'm 18 and have been in landscaping since i was 10. Now i have my own accounts and work full time for a landscaper in the summer and soon to be full time as i graduate High School. Recently i came across a childhood dream of operating equipment and realised i could potentially make enough money this summer to buy an older Bobcat or skid steer of another brand. My questions are .....Is there enough room in the market for this or is it too flooded? Can i start off with just a skid steer and my F250 and wait and see if it works out before purchasing a dump? Also a rental company locally told me he has a S185 with 2500hrs he would sell for 12500. I am worried cuz its a rental and people beat on themn, but on the other hand they are maintenenced regulary. When do the engines usually need rebuilt? Any suggestions, stories or wisdom would be greatly apprciated. Thanks!!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

if i were you id go to college while working on the side a college degree helps a lot in this very competitive business world. you could go to some sort of greens keeper school or agriculture school or even a construction school. and you will need proper licences just to legally run the skid if you are making money with it. dont buy an old rental machinery unless you know it was very well taken care of. you pretty much should get a dump to do proper bobcat work like hauling loom, debris or mulch unless you can borrow one.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, and also has anyone seen anybody use a roll-off(hook lift) truck to transport a skid steer as well as material to and from the job site?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd try and find some work for the bobcat first..like branch off into sod and landscape construction since you already have a base in Landscaping.

Don't just go for a regular old do everything service. Have a specialty. And focus on that. It might take a while to find out what is gonna bring in the money but once you do stick with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanes View Post
Thanks, and also has anyone seen anybody use a roll-off(hook lift) truck to transport a skid steer as well as material to and from the job site?
Like this: http://youtu.be/Bthep_aGGIU
Old 04-01-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Thats pretty much what i was thinking, just maybe with a regular roll off dumpster you could drive into then pick it up and away you go. thanks for the idea of finding a nitchie, that could be key. I also wouldn't drop everything for doing this i would continue working and doing this on the side to see if it panned out, keep in mind Im also renting with the parents so i don't have much to loose....worse thing that could happen is i have to sell the machine.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would personally rent a machine and have some work before dropping $12k on a machine that might sit for months..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanes View Post
We move all of our small machines with our roll off, and pull the larger machines on a 20 tonne tag behind it. For the work we do it is a perfect setup.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Having a dream and operating a buisness are 2 different things. Don't start a buisness this early in life.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2013, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't emphasize enough to the youngsters to go work for someone else and learn the necessary skills on the gear. I did the lawncare/landscaping thing in high school, my dad and I did excavation in that period of time and I was figuring on taking over after college. He let the gear go when I went back to college, all was lost....or so I thought. Having 6 summers of equipment experience, I had enough of a taste to know I liked the business. I got into a union apprenticeship, hit the ground running, and haven't looked back. Been a lot of places in the 5 years since I started, run a whole lot of equipment and learned even more tricks to doing things most efficiently. Point is, work for someone else to learn the tricks. Anyone can get a mini or a skid and fumble around in Joe Blow's yard, eventually figure it out and maybe make a decent business out of it. However, if you just give yourself a few years to learn from the big time operations, you'll be much better off. Speaking from experience, I thought at 18 I knew enough about the business to make a good run at it and reality is that I didn't know sh!t. Could have made it work, but if I was to start it all over tomorrow, I'd be leaps and bounds better off with the knowledge I've gained working for someone else.

Go hard, go fast, or go home