Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

My wife is a registered nurse. Good pay and great benefits. Guys on here doing it by themselves kudos to you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Even $75k in some regions of the country is not high on the hog when you factor in cost of living and housing etc.

Seriously I would keep your lady a happy camper and skip out on all the jobs you don't want or need to hire help for.

I'd be doing back flips to have a supportive significant other who was only making minimum wage with benefits for household who was actually supportive of what I do.

Okay I'd even be pretty happy with a supportive spouse with zero outside job on any level even if all they did was support me and not run their own gig and spend my money and leave me holding the bag on a constant repetitive basis.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Even $75k in some regions of the country is not high on the hog when you factor in cost of living and housing etc.

Seriously I would keep your lady a happy camper and skip out on all the jobs you don't want or need to hire help for.

I'd be doing back flips to have a supportive significant other who was only making minimum wage with benefits for household who was actually supportive of what I do.

Okay I'd even be pretty happy with a supportive spouse with zero outside job on any level even if all they did was support me and not run their own gig and spend my money and leave me holding the bag on a constant repetitive basis.

Posted via Mobile Device
Like what? My woman's so tight she squeaks when she walks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Currently I'm only doing this part time. I make just over 40k on salary. This is my second year. Building a good client base and hope to go full time next year. Will then go back to school and finish my degree in nursing. Something to fall back on in the future. I paid her way through school so it is my turn. I do feel lucky to have someone who lets me try and start business. She has been begging me to do it for years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2013, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquelandscaping View Post
Currently I'm only doing this part time. I make just over 40k on salary. This is my second year. Building a good client base and hope to go full time next year. Will then go back to school and finish my degree in nursing. Something to fall back on in the future. I paid her way through school so it is my turn. I do feel lucky to have someone who lets me try and start business. She has been begging me to do it for years.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's because she's probably seeing dollar signs that aren't there, like most people when you tell them you own your own company they think your rich.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Nah it's not that at all...just wants me to do what I want to. Neither one of us care to be rich. Too much hassle and begers out there. Our goal for years has been to clear 100k as a family. We currently don't owe anything on our cars and only debt is mortgage. I put 6000 on business last year for truck, trailer, mowers and hand helds. I don't believe in ever buying anything new for business or personal. People over spend in this business and every other one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2013, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Nah it's not that at all...just wants me to do what I want to. Neither one of us care to be rich. Too much hassle and begers out there. Our goal for years has been to clear 100k as a family. We currently don't owe anything on our cars and only debt is mortgage. I put 6000 on business last year for truck, trailer, mowers and hand helds. I don't believe in ever buying anything new for business or personal. People over spend in this business and every other one.
Posted via Mobile Device
6K? for all that! Nothing personal but I'd hate to see your equipt, I good used truck is going to run 6K+ alone.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Member

By no means did I buy the best. 2002 f250 for 3500 after taxes, 5x14 trailer, 48 in bunton wb, Bp blower and already had weedeater and handhelds. There was no reason to put a big investment in stuff without work. Most of my business has been small installs and walls. Not much tooling needed. To me mowing lawns is just a way to get to know customer so I can up sell. Business will be more geared towards landscaping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
By no means did I buy the best. 2002 f250 for 3500 after taxes, 5x14 trailer, 48 in bunton wb, Bp blower and already had weedeater and handhelds. There was no reason to put a big investment in stuff without work. Most of my business has been small installs and walls. Not much tooling needed. To me mowing lawns is just a way to get to know customer so I can up sell. Business will be more geared towards landscaping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't listen to them, you are exactly right
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I feel like I own a job not a business.