Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2013, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Instead of buying an old skid.. have you thought about trying to find the specific work you are looking for and just renting until you figure out if you will be able to afford a skid? And i would stay away from old rentals. They always seem very used.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Old 04-02-2013, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorum03 View Post
Instead of buying an old skid.. have you thought about trying to find the specific work you are looking for and just renting until you figure out if you will be able to afford a skid? And i would stay away from old rentals. They always seem very used.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
Thanks, many have mentioned it and it seems the way to go untill i see a deffinite need or stability in it.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag48 View Post
I can't emphasize enough to the youngsters to go work for someone else and learn the necessary skills on the gear. I did the lawncare/landscaping thing in high school, my dad and I did excavation in that period of time and I was figuring on taking over after college. He let the gear go when I went back to college, all was lost....or so I thought. Having 6 summers of equipment experience, I had enough of a taste to know I liked the business. I got into a union apprenticeship, hit the ground running, and haven't looked back. Been a lot of places in the 5 years since I started, run a whole lot of equipment and learned even more tricks to doing things most efficiently. Point is, work for someone else to learn the tricks. Anyone can get a mini or a skid and fumble around in Joe Blow's yard, eventually figure it out and maybe make a decent business out of it. However, if you just give yourself a few years to learn from the big time operations, you'll be much better off. Speaking from experience, I thought at 18 I knew enough about the business to make a good run at it and reality is that I didn't know sh!t. Could have made it work, but if I was to start it all over tomorrow, I'd be leaps and bounds better off with the knowledge I've gained working for someone else.
Thank You!!! I at one time looked into getting in an Operator Engineeres Union. Do you have to travell alot?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanes View Post
Thanks, many have mentioned it and it seems the way to go untill i see a deffinite need or stability in it.
You can definitely rent for a long time before actually needing a skid of your own. Don't rush to make huge equipment purchases. What happens when no work comes in for a month or so and you've still got payments on your stuff. Makes it harder. Also, I wouldn't buy anything too old. All skids have some hard hours on them.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Old 04-02-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanes View Post
Thank You!!! I at one time looked into getting in an Operator Engineeres Union. Do you have to travell alot?
I strongly advise another look. I've yet to travel more than 50 miles from the house but it is quite possible to roam around the state. I've just been kinda lucky for the last 5 years. Travel never lasts forever, though, and I chose to live somewhat close to the large majority of work in the state.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
We move all of our small machines with our roll off, and pull the larger machines on a 20 tonne tag behind it. For the work we do it is a perfect setup.
do you need to strap equipment down when its in the bin?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
I'd try and find some work for the bobcat first..like branch off into sod and landscape construction since you already have a base in Landscaping.

Don't just go for a regular old do everything service. Have a specialty. And focus on that. It might take a while to find out what is gonna bring in the money but once you do stick with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
When I went into business I tried to throw a wide net to "catch all" the world. Nearly 20 years later I still do a lot of services but found that the phone rang off the hook for all the little jobs that didn't pay. I
Focusing has helped me make a name for myself in my little area. I don't travel far and I'm home by dinner every night but that took quite a bit of focus and learning to say "no" to drilling 2 post holes just because I own an auger.
I would encourage you to learn as much as you can while you are just starting out but Junior's advice about having a specialty will set you apart from the run of the mill bobcat service guys who are all over Craigslist. When the economy is down, everybody and their brother is in business whether they have the skills or not. Just go to youtube and look "brush mulching." You will see absolute horror movies at one end of the spectrum and guys that are a natural extension of their machinery at the other end of the spectrum. I think that focus and repetitive practice makes the difference between average and good. You will naturally learn how to do a lot of things but following Junior's advice will help you achieve expert status sooner in that line of work that excites you. Good luck.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg244888 View Post
do you need to strap equipment down when its in the bin?
By law yes. Most people dont , i do. Think about the angle the machines are on when raising and lowering the bins, and any possible movement while driving.

I had to add a custom setup to my bins to tie the machines down, while at the same time allowing it not to get damaged when dumping concrete or asphalt.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
By law yes. Most people dont , i do. Think about the angle the machines are on when raising and lowering the bins, and any possible movement while driving.

I had to add a custom setup to my bins to tie the machines down, while at the same time allowing it not to get damaged when dumping concrete or asphalt.
Any pics of how you did this? Always wondered how its done without having big d rings getting mashed up in the box
Posted via Mobile Device