Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

V Ride front weight - on or off??

I have read where several people say they took the front weight off their V Ride so that it would handle hills better.

Can someone explain the engineering principle behind this concept? I might take mine off, but I would like to know why this will help me on hills.
And is it gonna make it more likely to to have the front raise up when climbing straight up a hill.

My biggest property is a lake lot and its steep. It started to sprinkle a little today and I ended up running my mower into a landscape bed when it lost traction on a turn and slid down the slope. I was fast enough to hit the PTO and grabbed the deck lift handle while holding both sticks in one hand and no damage was done to mower - bed needed some re-working after I got the mower out though. Luckily the client did not see me.

Next year I will pick up a walk behind for this property, but for now the V Ride is all I got - and the money is good. Clean-ups, 120 yards of mulch on adjoining property, 40 yds on his property, he has me re-do beds occasionally, blah blah blah - its a good job - just sorta tough to mow with what I have.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Taking it off will help with side slope and down slope traction and will make the front more likely to flip up. If you aren't overweight I'd say go for it. The front of the mower is sitting on caster wheels so it's always pulling down. What keeps you pointing the right direction is the reverse traction of the uphill rear tire. Taking weight off of the front applies less force for that tire to hold. Adding weight to the rear or shifting your weight back and uphill will also help.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good info. I may remove mine Bc of side slope holding on a few properties I have as well. I'm 6'1 185 so not overweight. I will see if it helps.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm 150 lbs on a 48 vride. Best thing I did was remove the weight. Night and day difference and no real problems with the front coming up.
Posted via Mobile Device