Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm really confused. From what I understand, she wanted the front done and you quoted "X" amount. She agreed and then wanted to add on more and have you do the side, but you never gave her "Y" amount????

It really sounds like shes working you, and she wants it done for next to nothing. Simple pictures in the mind take time to make. For the future, never show your hourly cost. It opens up a whole other can of worms. Give your estimate and stick to that price....or pad the number a bit so you can lower it and give them a "deal".
Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, I understood the part about the initial estimate...
Which I felt was probably about right...
And then the customer added on a slew of stuff after the fact.
I get that, and now that I've had some sleep I also get that in my example with the $600 tires I never added nothing in ways of "hey can you change the transmission too" and then acted shocked when I got a high repair bill, either... But I also think you have to instantly tack on those extras they like to throw in, right when they're doing it you need to let them know it's going to cost more and how much, right then and there, not wait until the end.

Granted a piece of me likes to think this customer knew what they were doing all along but we lack the burden of proof and one hates to take even the smallest leap towards a conclusion out of fear of jumping the gun... I just don't like doing that, when we don't know.

Have you tried talking to her, explained to her that it was all those extras (and feel free to name them off one by one, explicitly by name) she added to the job, for example this wanting this done this way costed another $40, then this over here you wanted that done which tacked on another $30... And so on, piece by piece line it out for her, might even have to sit down with the customer over it.

There might be some reasoning, yet.
I'd like to at least try, if for no other reason we can say you did.

Might try that, may have to compromise some...
Old 04-02-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

When a job is quoted and the lady asks for a 5 minute no extra material freebie it is good business to do it with a smile and for free.

It is bad business to let the customer add to a job that requires the LCO to charge for the additional work and not get an ok on the new price before proceeding.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Didn't read all the replys only got to were the customer added more work. At that point you should of gave the customer the price. (Period) Don't know the answer to cleaning this up, but word will travel fast in the neighborhood. There is a about 3 other mistakes here but learn from mistake number 1.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a $1500 job here.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
Didn't read all the replys only got to were the customer added more work. At that point you should of gave the customer the price. (Period) Don't know the answer to cleaning this up, but word will travel fast in the neighborhood. There is a about 3 other mistakes here but learn from mistake number 1.
I very very frequently do jobs under 4 hundred for clients without a price. These are long term customers that trust me to give a fair price. I love them
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I love them also, but if I am doing a $350 dollar job and it turns to $600 more they will know it. Side note, whenever a job I do has an adder to it, it will be scheduled. Case in point, just 4 weeks ago started a two day tree triming, bush removal job, customer added 4 more days of work. The other 4 days was scheduled in the following weeks. Not sure in his case but I probably couldn't added a day to this job. That give you the time to work out the details. This is common in construction.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

The Bid went up another $250 in labor which reflects what the customer added when they to extend the flower bed around the side of the house & run it all the way down the side of the house & it stopped once it reached the back of the house.

The moment I saw they had extended the beds when I arrived on the job site I called the customer & informed her I would need to rent a Tiller, I also informed the customer they we would need to put down top soil since we had to till up the sod that was against the house where the extended flowerbed was being made. I didn't think $250 more in labor was a lot & actually was going to charge instead of just $250 more in labor I was going to charge $400 instead with the added work of tilling & raking out all the grass from tilled soil.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In fact, that would be a thousand dollars just for the labor. How are you making any money at $20 per man hour?!?!?!?!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would of charged at least 3K+materials. Quoted an hourly rate plus pickup/delivery/haul off debris. If client wants to extend/add then I'm covered under the hourly rate.

I've had a few clients that were shell shocked upon receiving a final bill but I just point out all the extras they authorized me to do besides the original design they wanted. They still pay me.

Check Craigslist for a used tiller.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair