Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Zero Turn tarction

I purchased my first ever zero turn mower a couple weeks ago. I only have two accounts. Oh four if you count my front yard and my back yard. I bought a L60 Cub Cadet Tank. I like the machine it does a fine mowing job. My question is about traction. Do these tend to tear up lawns on the turn? Is my lawn too wet and that is the reason for the tire doing that? I have tried fast I have tried slow and I have tried the Y maneuver I still get a bit of slide on the turn sometimes. It seems right turn going up the hill is the bad side the left is always perfect with no sliding. The lawn is sloped. I am in east Tn and everything has a slope here.I would appreciate any help.
The hydraulic pumps seem to hum a bit too almost like a power steering pump low on fluid. The dealer says it might be belts? The machine is a left over 2012 it only has 3 hours on it.
If this is in the wrong Category I apologize. Thanks for reading.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your dealer sounds like he needs to go to mechanic school. That's hydro whine, and it is normal on almost all ZTR's and hydrostatic tractors up to utility sized machines.

You are finding out what most do when they buy a Z. You can't do true zero turns ( or fast 3 point turns) without tearing the grass, especially on new tires and when the grass is wet. The 3 point turn (Y as you call it) is your friend, but even there you need to learn to slow down and make the 3 pt smoothly. A zero turn drive system works much like a Detroit locker in a truck rearend. If there's any throttle it is locked up providing power to both wheels, even during a turn. It's pretty much the same with the Z, and the inside wheel will scuff. Many guys think that they have to do everything quickly because it is a Z. Not so. Steady and smoothly is the key to not scuffing/tearing the turf.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

When you turn never stop the inside wheel
Slow down one way to get good turn is with 1 hand turn
Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

practice practice practice, pretty soon you'll be making turns quick and not tearing up turf. theres a learning curve to it, and being wet and mushy ground doesn't help.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

slow and smooth treat your turns like a friday night. if your trying to go to fast and jerky with it when you finish and look at what you just did it wont be pretty.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys.I appreciate that.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones68 View Post
slow and smooth treat your turns like a friday night. if your trying to go to fast and jerky with it when you finish and look at what you just did it wont be pretty.
i can attest to this, on more than one friday night lol