Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB View Post
The Bid went up another $250 in labor which reflects what the customer added when they to extend the flower bed around the side of the house & run it all the way down the side of the house & it stopped once it reached the back of the house.

The moment I saw they had extended the beds when I arrived on the job site I called the customer & informed her I would need to rent a Tiller, I also informed the customer they we would need to put down top soil since we had to till up the sod that was against the house where the extended flowerbed was being made. I didn't think $250 more in labor was a lot & actually was going to charge instead of just $250 more in labor I was going to charge $400 instead with the added work of tilling & raking out all the grass from tilled soil.
Fine, but informing the customer that you need to rent a tiller doesn't ring cash in a customer's mind.
In your mind, telling the customer you have to rent a tiller means it is going to cost more.
In the customer's mind it means you are going to go rent one.
You know, stop calling to tell me that, go rent it already.

You need to clarify to the customer the exact dollar amount the bid is increasing by, you can even skip the explanation, just tell them it's going to cost $xxx more.

That having been said, if you had approval on that extra $250 that brings your total to $350 + $250 = $600

You might can get away with that, if she agreed to the $250.
And it's still a better shake than $250 to $350
Just not $970, whether you think it's fair or not.

You can only charge what the customer agreed to pay

Last edited by herler; 04-02-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Fine, but informing the customer that you need to rent a tiller doesn't ring cash in a customer's mind.
In your mind, telling the customer you have to rent a tiller means it is going to cost more.
In the customer's mind it means you are going to go rent one.
You know, stop calling to tell me that, go rent it already.

You need to clarify to the customer the exact dollar amount the bid is increasing by, you can even skip the explanation, just tell them it's going to cost $xxx more.

That having been said, if you had approval on that extra $250 that brings your total to $350 + $250 = $600

You might can get away with that, if she agreed to the $250.
And it's still a better shake than $250 to $350
Just not $970, whether you think it's fair or not.

You can only charge what the customer agreed to pay

So let me make sure I understand you correctly, You think the customer was under the impression I was supposed to eat the cost of the Tiller because I did not include renting the tiller in the original Bid?

Which is right! I didn't include the cost of renting a Tiller in the first bid. Because I didn't need to rent a tiller. I also was under the impression I was doing the front of the house Flower beds & why I didn't include the cost to rent a Tiller in the first bid.

When customer wanted to extend the flower beds through the sod on the side of the house. That was when I needed to rent a Tiller!!!! Had the customer not extended the flowerbed along the side of the house. Then there would have been no need to rent a Tiller! The customer already had a pre existing flower beds in front of the house.

No add on & no Tiller. That means the bill drops dramatically!

-$100 Tiller
-$200 labor
-$50 soil
-$15 Fuel

I quoted $350 for the front flower beds! Bill came in at $930. Subtract the above had the customer not extended the flowerbeds & that $930 number drops to $615

$400 in labor
$100 in soil
$45 in Fuel
$20 in reimbursement for Landscaping Stakes

Thus bringing the bill from $930 to $570 after materials & Fuel!

Had she not extended the flower bed over fresh sod then the job would have been right at what I bid to begin with
Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some people are absolutely terrified to give people a price. This is just another example of that.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

SEB you sound like a company here Price a job and when its done its double the price. This company is getting sued a lot. Not saying you doing that but get it on paper and signed.
Then she knows it will cost more.
Like I said
((((( live and learn)))))
Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm so distracted by the downspout dumping in front of the door I can't think straight.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I quoted $350 for the front flower beds!

Thus bringing the bill from $930 to $570 after materials & Fuel!

Had she not extended the flower bed over fresh sod then the job would have been right at what I bid to begin with
You quoted $350 and if there was no additional work the bill would have been $570? So you were still over your original quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
You quoted $350 and if there was no additional work the bill would have been $570? So you were still over your original quote
Quoted $350 on labor & had we done just the front of the house we would have come in $50 over on labor.
$400 Labor
$100 in Top Soil
$45 Fuel to cover the fuel in the truck to go get both loads of top soil & get materials for project
$20 in Landscape stakes

$565 actually would have been the total on the final Invoice without the customer extending the flowerbed Not $570.

As I said I have been in business now for 3 years & still learning on how to bid jobs.

What would you guys had bid on this job?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I'm so distracted by the downspout dumping in front of the door I can't think straight.
Customer addressed this issue & picked up down spout extensions
Old 04-03-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I quoted $250 to $350 to pull all of the Bush's on the front of the house & put down top Soil & fabric
If I were the customer I would assume that this price was for labor AND materials. Now you say the $350 was for labor only
Old 04-03-2013, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
If I were the customer I would assume that this price was for labor AND materials. Now you say the $350 was for labor only
No I specifically said this was for Labor ONLY! The customer was aware of this hence why the customer bought all their own plants & bought their mulch at 30 bags vs buying in Bulk from a Sand & Stone company

When I had to go rent a Tiller I made sure I called the customer & made them aware I had to rent a tiller to till up all the grass on the extended area & had to bring in top soil