Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Danblaze- I'll let DVS fight his own battle but I can assure you that having high quality professional photographs on your website or in your printed marketing materials will sell jobs! Each year on a beatiful summer day, I drive my photographer around to the jobs I completed to attempt to recreate the shots you see in the catalogues. I'm not going to tell you all my secrets to set up the shoots but there is work involved.

She then edits the best pics and I use them in my marketing. I'm dying for the yards to green up so we can do a photoshoot of last years projects so I can update my materials and show Suzy Homemaker that I can do what's in that giant Techo catalogue.

Our manufactures pay a ton for that photography and those catalogues. We all can learn from them.

I think it only costs me $400 or so. I would pay $1,400 in a heartbeat and I hate parting with my hard earned cash. My pictures sell jobs.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy's Law View Post
Danblaze- I'll let DVS fight his own battle but I can assure you that having high quality professional photographs on your website or in your printed marketing materials will sell jobs! Each year on a beatiful summer day, I drive my photographer around to the jobs I completed to attempt to recreate the shots you see in the catalogues. I'm not going to tell you all my secrets to set up the shoots but there is work involved.

She then edits the best pics and I use them in my marketing. I'm dying for the yards to green up so we can do a photoshoot of last years projects so I can update my materials and show Suzy Homemaker that I can do what's in that giant Techo catalogue.

Our manufactures pay a ton for that photography and those catalogues. We all can learn from them.

I think it only costs me $400 or so. I would pay $1,400 in a heartbeat and I hate parting with my hard earned cash. My pictures sell jobs.
I
That's exactly my whole point.

Mr. blaze musta been having a bad Monday. He's human.

Seriously, Dan, you think I sit around dwelling on people's pictures????? You completely have no clue. I could care less about pictures that ANY contractor takes.

I attended a horticulture class for 4 years. the instructor, a well known man in the area with a doctorate degree, always made it a point to teach us the correct terminology. To the extreme that each and every one of his students will always remember.

Now that I'm older I see why he went to such extremes. It reflects our image and competency when trying to sell work to a prospective customer. If you want a prospective client to take you seriously - you first must prove to them and exhibit that you are serious.

Pictures? That's something I just happen to know a little about. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Go to my website. Click on the Contact form. On that form you'll see a question that says something along the lines of "what prompted you to contact is?" And a majority of the times the answer is "pictures" or "professional pictures". Pictures sell. And you can take that to the bank.

When I criticize people's pictures I'm trying to open their eyes to the fact that they are selling themselves short. You don't have to be a professional photographer. I'm not. But you do have to be aware of what you're shooting. My pet peeve is pics of patios freshly installed. No grass established, just dirt around the patio! And then people put such pics on their websites! Or another pet peeve is when people work at a big house an they shoot a pic of the patio, but really what you see is the entire back of the house and barely see the patio!

Do a search on my user name, go back many years and you'll see some posts from me specifically relating to photos and using photos to your advantage. Back when Lawn and Landscape had a forum I had numerous threads pertaining to photos.

When I meet with people for the first time I am constantly asked "who takes your pictures"?

It kills me to see a nice job and someone make NO effort to take a good picture of it. It's lazy. And it's ignorant. It's ignorant because they're not realizing how much they can benefit from a simple good picture.

About 3 years ago I went to do an estimate for a retaining wall. The man was hastily leading me about the backyard like a puppy on a leash. Every time I tried to stop and examine the site and would seem irritated and appeared as if he thought I was incompetent. I would ask questions and he would snap back. The man just was a royal jerk. So I layed low. I read into him, and I said to myself "just relax and go along with him wait until he sees the pictures". We go inside an sit at the dining room table with his wife. He's still being a jerk. As if he couldn't wait for me to leave. I open the photo album and start showing him
Pictures of our work and of the process. LOL boy did his who demeanor change! It was day and night! Every question and concern he had - I had a nice photo to back up my statements. He kept me there or an hour and a half - just looking at pics and talking about his job. In the end he got about 5 estimates and narrowed it down to me and one other guy, and he ended up going with the other guy.

Hardscaping isn't cheap. If you think you're going to sell a $33,000.00 job you're going to need an arsenal of tools - pictures and references. You must speak well, speak intelligently, know how to spell, and know how to structure sentences. The average Hardscape client is educated.

Thanks again Dan for being a loyal fan of mine and I'm glad your following along with me. it's great fans like you, Dan, that make being Hardscaper in Chief a pleasure
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 04-02-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Member

...close thread...obviously when I ask a simple question...we all cannot reply with a simple answer...

Alot of my competitors have our suppliers pictures on their websites...not even their own.

I honestly wouldn't of cared if you would of just thrown me an obsurd number so I don't feel bad about my bid...estimate..proposal...

Reality is...everyones in a bidding war...no matter how friendly and how well you know your work and product. I have talked on the phone, talked in person, and talked via emails to customer...even about how we both were alumni at Mizzou and had a great 30 minute conversation about basketball...and still not get the job....therefore everything is a bid/estimate/whatever your heart desires to call it.

Thanks for your time.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Try not to be offended This hardscape forum is full of miss information and It helps to have a thick skin. Their are only a few users hear who know what they are talking about. their may be more but they don't post To me when someone says they bid on a job they are saying they obtained a set of engineered plans either from a governmental agency or architect or a engineering firm dictating the use of materials and build methods and a list of allowed material substitutes and other legal requirements if any. None of that info was provided. I asked a question what is the wall for its not clear in the picture that question was not answered. if your 2500 is all inclusive... demo, disposal, all proper materials and permits and insurance all other incidentals then for my geographical location the job could not be completed your price would be low even using used landscape timber. Don't get discouraged keep moving
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyFlyinROUSH View Post
...close thread...obviously when I ask a simple question...we all cannot reply with a simple answer...

Alot of my competitors have our suppliers pictures on their websites...not even their own.

I honestly wouldn't of cared if you would of just thrown me an obsurd number so I don't feel bad about my bid...estimate..proposal...

Reality is...everyones in a bidding war...no matter how friendly and how well you know your work and product. I have talked on the phone, talked in person, and talked via emails to customer...even about how we both were alumni at Mizzou and had a great 30 minute conversation about basketball...and still not get the job....therefore everything is a bid/estimate/whatever your heart desires to call it.

Thanks for your time.
You have to understand this is the WWW. Thousands of people are reading these posts seeking the same information you are.

As a professional - it's a daily battle dealing with low ball pricing. And when the topic of pricing comes up in this forum I'm going to respond from an entirely different angle. I can't say "yeah that's a great number", because only you will ever know if it is not not. So I try to get your mind fixed to where you're actually accounting for every dime affiliated with the job. This way you're not selling yourself short. And not misleading someone else who is lurking in the shadows of this forum seeking the same info.

In the archives you'll find where so many veteran contractors whine about being under priced. Yet the same contractors are posting misleading information in this forum! Perhaps the contractor that underbid them and got the job was reading this forum and used the info provided.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another line item you need to factor in as well, is for underground sprinklers, if they have them. Most likely, there will be some moving and possibly rerouting of a line along there.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lol by the looks of the yard I dont think sprinklers will be an issue. If they have them they dont seem to be working properly at the moment.
Posted via Mobile Device