Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

zoysia sod removal

need some advise from the experts. I have a customer who wants approximately 1000 sq ft. of zoysia removed from their lawn. They want to make way for a mulch bed. My thought is that I would use a sod cutter to do this. I am responsible for removing the sod and disposal after. It is a pretty good slope that this is on. I do not have experince with zoysia, it is not common in pa where I am. My question is what would you charge and is a sod cutter the best way to do this. I thought about a skid loader but the slope makes me nervous. Would you spray the area after to make sure zoysia is all gone. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehofflawncare View Post
need some advise from the experts. I have a customer who wants approximately 1000 sq ft. of zoysia removed from their lawn. They want to make way for a mulch bed. My thought is that I would use a sod cutter to do this. I am responsible for removing the sod and disposal after. It is a pretty good slope that this is on. I do not have experince with zoysia, it is not common in pa where I am. My question is what would you charge and is a sod cutter the best way to do this. I thought about a skid loader but the slope makes me nervous. Would you spray the area after to make sure zoysia is all gone. Any help would be appreciated.
Your chances of getting rid of all the Zoysia roots is next to impossiable. The roots go deep and it will come back, a lot sooner than you realise. Be prepaired for an on going battle with the Zoysia.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sod cutter and lots of RU come mid summer. You should be able to knock it out in a few years. How did you get zoysia in PA?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, you want to hit the area with a high rate of RoundUp starting when the zoysia begins active green growth. Then you sod cut the brown sod out. Till the area. Watch for green shoots of zoysia and kill it again. It may take 2-3 years to kill zoysia in a cool season grass area. In mulch beds and planter areas, Sethoxydim will suppress zoysia that comes up around flowers, trees, and shrubs.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-06-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
Sod cutter and lots of RU come mid summer. You should be able to knock it out in a few years. How did you get zoysia in PA?
you would be suprised,about 30% of the lawns in and around Philly are all zoy..back to the origi al question lots and lots of Gly..spray it 3 weeks before you cut it out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Any ideas on what you guys would charge for this. It is 1000 sq. I would rent the sod cutter and i have a place for disposal. Would anyone recommend removing the sod first and then spraying ru. I am not doing the mulch bed after, homeowner is doing that. My responsibility is to just get the sod off and disposal. Can removal be done when this stuff is dormant. thanks for all the help