Register free!

Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I ha' hurd sumthin baat roots?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Only my humble opinion, underground drip has been touted for years, the only success I've ever heard of were ball fields, where they actually injected warm water into the system and the field was shot-bored absolutely flat.
I picked up one of those fields as a service account last fall. Have to see what it looks like this yr. It was a contaminated site turned soccer field and the EPA would only allow a drip system
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesignCO View Post
In Colorado we are under watering restrictions. This client lives in an area that is quite windy. He thinks that installing this system will be much more efficient vs/ a traditional spray system. We are talking about an area that aprox 2k sqft of turf.

The issue is, we just installed a spray system last year and have not even put sod in yet. I think it is a huge waste of time/money to redo everything.
His goal may be to use it even with a restriction as no one sees it running.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I'd be skeptical of that with the clay content in the soils around here.....
Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
He thinks that installing this system will be much more efficient vs/ a traditional spray system.
It is, no question about it.

Quote:
I think it is a huge waste of time/money to redo everything.
It is, no question about it, but if that is what he wants why do you care?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
It would, but proponents of drip say that the water movement keeps the soil loose, so that aerating a drip irrigated lawn is pointless.
You heard wrong. Bury the line deep enough to allow for conventional aeration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cppendergrast View Post
I'd be skeptical of that with the clay content in the soils around here.....
Why?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We are on 2 day a week watering, but drip and subsurface drip are exempt and can water all they want. But - they still pay the higher rates and fees if they water too much. Higher rates,and lower volume ceilings on the tiers.

Yes, install drip lower than the aerator tines, and it will be fine. Don't lay it on the ground with sod right on top.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

From my experience with sub-surface drip, it is useless on clay soil where the turf is used frequently be it sport or foot traffic/kids playing. Short term it was very good, but after 4-5 years I found it to be ineffective once the soil was compacted. Lawns just had green circles above where the emitters were, but the water would not spread, regardless of run times.

If you do it 4-5" deep in clay soil, the soil compacts around it and it won't spread. If you install it 3" deep it seemed to worked better, but then you can't aerate anyway. In loam soils it is great, but I think it is best to install drip on a slightly clay/loam base to retain the moisture but prevent compaction with a 4-5" deep sandy-loam layer on top which again will not allow the soil to become compacted when used for recreational purposes.

On lawns where they are purely for looking at, the jobs I installed 7-8 years ago are still working perfect despite being on loamy-clay soils. You also have to be careful if home owners are likely to pierce the dripline with things like pegs to hold down play equipment and things like that. Yesterday I had to repair two holes in sub-surface drip under lawn where this had happened when play equipment is moved. You then have to flush the system carefully to ensure all the dirt is out of the system. I just unscrewed the flush valve and let it run for a while until I thought the system was free of garbage.

I should add, drip is very efficient, especially in narrow strips and windy areas, and also does not add to fungus problems like overhead watering does. On the other hand you have to manually wash in fertilisers because the drip does not do it.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

My experience also.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

The soil is very high in clay content. The current restrictions are 2 days a week, but since this client is on ditch water, I bet they get to use 3 days a week. It's not that I really care, ill put the system in if he wants. I just dont think it is the correct application for him considering he hasnt even used the system yet.

He has changed his mind from wanting KBG to synthetic turf, to a native mix. We are on the native mix now and I think a spray with an exemption to establish, then back on a 2 or 3 day/week schedule will be more than sufficient.