Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-04-2013, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Member

JD Z720a decent machine?

A dealer locally has one of these brand new for $6495. I have been researching it a bunch but I cannot seem to get a feel for it being a good deal for what I need. It needs to handle several acres, some of which may be thick weedy grass. Im reading reports that it might be underpowered. Then I see some that say the Kohler motor isnt as good as the Kawasaki in the 900 series.

Im mostly concerned with Kohler quality and whether this unit with a 60" deck is underpowered or not. Also, aside from thick grass, it is a sloped lawn, a pretty steep hill. Is this a good mower or should I look to the next model up?

Last edited by brazosdog02; 04-04-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the forum!
I owned one in 2011 for the entire year. I bought it brand new. It had plenty of power for any normal cutting/mowing. It handled any hills that I cut with no problem, but how well it'll work on your properties depends on the hills and how big/long they are. It is a true commercial mower, with the exact same frame and many other features as the 900's, which I have now. The only reason I sold it and bought my 950 is I wanted the MOD deck and a little extra power to run it in thick grass and/or leaves. Unless your grasses are extremely thick and long it is plenty of engine for the deck. The deck on the 720 really works well with Oregon Gator G6 blades.

My original Kohler was a POS and had to be replaced under warranty at less than 50 hours, but the replacement engine was fine. The 700's ride better by a noticeable degree than the 900's due to the 700's having pneumatic front tires. Keep them at about 15 psi for the best ride, while still preventing them from popping them off going over curbs, roots etc. That is a very good price on it BTW.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I will occasionally mow grass over 6" tall, will the mower handle that if im not running full speed with it? This shouldnt be the norm, once I get it knocked down, it will be part of the weekly maintenance.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I never had any trouble with grass like that when cutting it down to 3.25". I rarely mow at full sticks. Mainly at about 6-7 mph, and at that speed it always impressed me what it would really do. I went from the OEM medium lifts that come on them, to the OEM high lifts and it made a big difference. Then I switched to the G6's and they really shine under that deck. Once the engine gets broken in good, it will feel even stronger.

I would say to demo it if you can before you buy, but if they won't let you, I still think you'd be pretty happy with it overall.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Cool. Thank you. In reality, its far more mower than I need, but with my place, it has ALWAYS paid off to get 'heavy duty' or 'commercial' grade stuff.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Is there any reason to spend almost 1000 more for the z915b over the z720A? i think it has a couple more HP, but is that worth it?? They want 6500 for the Z720A.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't do it. The 720 has the park-n-go foot brake which is really nice, the 915 doesn't. The 915 is a really stripped down 900. It doesn't have the cross porting, foot brake and a few other things I can't recall right off. The only real things it has that may or may not matter to you is slightly taller rear tires, a little better seat and maybe a few more ponies.

OTH, if you can get the 915 for anywhwere near the same price, there's no real reason not to go that way, but for a grand more I'd stay with the 720.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should demo the machine on your property braz. I had a 830 that was a great machine, but didnt have a suspension seat, and it was tough on the back mowing over two hours
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
You should demo the machine on your property braz. I had a 830 that was a great machine, but didnt have a suspension seat, and it was tough on the back mowing over two hours
That's one reason I told him to demo if he can, but the 800's and 900's ride a lot rougher than the 720 does. He can always order the Michigan seat from northern tool as well if he needs it.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Im about 30 miles from the store. Keep in mind that the machine I currently use for my place is a 36" box store rider with a 12hp motor. It cuts the grass....barely. That machine handles the essential cutting close to the house....i was just asking about this mower since I would be going OUT a little further.