Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-04-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Please explain how this is risky? Believe me, I understand the importance of filters in oil and hydro systems, hence the reason for the research. Hell for all you know this filter is better at filtering than the manufactures.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark even states that its not mandatory to use their brand filters. I'm willing to bet they are both made by the same company, in the same plant. so the question is, if I cut both of them open and take pics of the insides being identical, how many of you would still spend triple the amount for the same filter with the companies logo on it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
Exmark even states that its not mandatory to use their brand filters. I'm willing to bet they are both made by the same company, in the same plant. so the question is, if I cut both of them open and take pics of the insides being identical, how many of you would still spend triple the amount for the same filter with the companies logo on it?
Posted via Mobile Device
You'd prolly lose that bet....Napa does not build filters for Exmark...
Gambling with aftermarket hydro filters is an expensive game....
Did you ever wonder why OEM filters are priced higher..????
If it can be proven that their filter caused or contributed to a hydralic failure...
They have to eat the repair job....Think Napa will replace your 400 hr hydros...gonna be a long wait...
There is a cost in warrantying a product and it is included in the price..
Old 04-04-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ill keep my bet, when I cut them in half ill post pictures and you can guess which one is which.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And napa doesn't didn't make this filter, it's a wix.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure y'all don't use factory oil filters on your card and trucks, and they are way more expensive to repair than a hydro system on a mower. It's a filter guys. As long as the micron size is the same and it's a suction not pressure filter, the thread size is the same, it doesn't matter. I really wish exmark or another manufacture would chime in and prove me wrong but they won't because they live the profits off a 2.00 filter. You'll be surprised to see the insides of the two filters. At the end of the day your going to run whatever filter you want and ill do the same. I just got tired of getting ripped off by the 30 dollar filter price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
ill keep my bet, when I cut them in half ill post pictures and you can guess which one is which.
Posted via Mobile Device
Go ahead and send them off to a research lab for testing....then post the data sheets..
People can do some amazing hocus pocus with pics anymore...
Id hate to have to gamble if you were right...
Old 04-04-2013, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No hocus pocus here buddy. We need to just look at the pleats, how loose or tightly packed they are, type of material, by pass springs, cases, ect. The thing is everyone is scared to gamble on filters for hydros, and I get that, I was once too. But people post on here their opinions which is not the same as scientific facts. I'm looking at this from a fact based view not opinion. Lets really find out if the 30 filter is better than the wix. If it is then we will use them since the mowers I use daily earns my living. But let's say that we find out that they are in fact, so closely the same that either one will provide full perfection of the hydro system. Then why would you spend 30 when you could get them sane filter for 10? Unless you want to support your mower company I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It can't be a bi-directional filter for $10.00. BUT, there is no reason to use a bi-directional filter in a suction only application. They are usually used in the pressure side.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ricky,
Good question. So it depends on the hydro system and location of the filter in the system. Since we are talking about exmark, does anyone know how their systems are setup?
Posted via Mobile Device