Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-04-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Under capitalization is the main reason I can never get passed solo. I had lots of work several years ago and 3 guys but could never come up with the money to pay everyone every week even though I had the work. The middle size is hard. Without $$$ to grow is real hard.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Around here storage units you are not allowed to store anything with fuel or oil in it indoors but most places have large yards to store outside! But I wouldnt trust it outside unless you had an enclosed trailer.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawns Etc View Post
Around here storage units you are not allowed to store anything with fuel or oil in it indoors but most places have large yards to store outside! But I wouldnt trust it outside unless you had an enclosed trailer.
That blows
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tires? Tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
Really? Tires on your truck, tires on trailer, pretty sure that's $1000 right there. Never mind. Hopeless
Posted via Mobile Device
You know it, I put the best tires I could on my little trailer. I don't skimp on things like that. $400.00 for two tires that you would put on a RV. I just think people don't account for up keep until it hit them in the head.

That is why I love my wife. She always puts things into perspective when she shows me where the money goes. Pow!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A lot of people forget to budget for support equipment

pressure washer
compressor (air tools)
hand tools
etc.....

Trailer tires are around $125 and truck tires are over $250 unless we go with caps
Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Truck Tires.

4 Hancock ATV tires $215 each = $860
damage insurance $15.00 per tire = $60.00
Taxes on tires $85.00
Total for my set of tires. $1,005.00
Forgetting to include this in my Bottom Line
Bliss!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You gotta buy tires for any vehicle you drive. So if you have a job you can't say well I make 50K a year minus my $1000 tires so I net 49K. Plus you can't write off tires for your personal vehicle far as I know anyway. So some things are not completely business overhead per say.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
You gotta buy tires for any vehicle you drive. So if you have a job you can't say well I make 50K a year minus my $1000 tires so I net 49K. Plus you can't write off tires for your personal vehicle far as I know anyway. So some things are not completely business overhead per say.
We spent 30k last year on parts/repairs. How do you not factor that cost into overhead?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm cheap. Do you put new tires on your truck every year? Every couple years I go to the junk yard and I don't know how but this guy gets incredibly nice 235/75/R16's duellers. I don't know where they come from but they are 40 bucks a tire, damn near brand new. It's a work truck and it's a dump truck it doesn't need 200/per tire tires on it. The tires pretty much match too. 160 for all four, had a buddy mount them and ready to roll, that was two years ago and I may squeeze another two more out of them. Steer tires I honestly can't remember when replaced them but they pass inspection every year and don't go flat. Trailer tires... I gave up on buying good trailer tires, I blow through them. Pivoting on the tires wears them out quick, plus it seams I always pick up nails or have one go off the bead and ruin it so I buy them cheap too. I bought 4 good tires one year and 2 of them made it till the end of the season that was enough. So trailer tires run me about 150 a year. Mower tires, two seasons so 100 bucks a year. My equipment looks good and I don't care what name is on the tires as long as they stay inflated, I've bought nice tires and have learned my lesson, I put my truck through hell sometimes and expensive tires go flat just like the cheap ones. So all in all, yes I would spend on average of like 300 bucks per year on tires... so 25 per month.

As for support equipment here's how I look at it. If I were an accountant I would still have an air compressor, a garage full of tools, a computer, boots ect. Yes they are business expenses but if I weren't in business I would still have them so I don't get nearly as wrapped up in what they cost because they are things I would have anyway. Might not be the right approach but that's the way I look at it.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
I was being sarcastic about how people figure their net.