Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Early model Grandstand OK or Run away

I know this topic has been beat to death, but I would like input from the guys who use standers. I am replacing an older ztr with a new to me mower. I would like to try a stander out as all the benefits that I've read on this site, seem to be what I'm looking for. My dilemma is that funds currently won't allow for a brand new machine purchase, but I'm able to find used relatively low hour GS units that would fit my budget. I've read about all the issues with the 09, but have also read that Toro released updates that have helped. Are the 09's really that bad and should I just steer clear or can they be made reliable if had for the right price? I'm really only considering Toro or Scag V Rides for this purchase as those two have closest dealer support in my area. My operation is very small compared to most, but I obviously need to be operating to be profitable. Thanks for all the valuable info in helping me make a decision.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I love my 60inch 09 I have to readjust the tracking alot but otherwise its a cutting machine! I bought it last year before the season. Since it was a demo I was questioning why it had not been purchased yet I love it!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Get the updates done. A lot of tracking issues but cuts great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I own four Grandstands. All are 2010 or 2011. I did own one 2009 which all the updates were made, etc. It was ok but it just seemed little things kept going wrong. I wouldn't buy an 09. There is a big difference between the 09s and the 2010s. I guess if it was a smoking deal an 09 might be worth it if you have some skills and patience. I was once told that the ones with metal belt covers are to be avoided. I don't know if I have ever seen an 09 with the plastic belt covers though.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

When we were making the switch to standers, we had an 09 GS demo. I really liked the cut. But, there were problems with it where it would shut off out of the blue. We didn't buy it. However, we did just purchase a brand new '13 GS 52" with the Kohler EFI engine. Not many hours yet, but you can tell that Toro has improved the GS by leaps and bounds over the past few years. Stay away from '09 if you can't get a GREAT deal. If you do, just make sure all updates have ben done and you have a quality Toro dealer nearby. Our dealer is great, that's one of the reason we run all Toro mowers.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Would around $3000 be a good deal for a 48 with less than 400 hrs?
Old 04-05-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstew33 View Post
Would around $3000 be a good deal for a 48 with less than 400 hrs?
Yes that is a decent deal. I have seen them for sale ranging from 3500-$4500. I agree with previous posts that the tracking is an issue. These units are difficult to work on also even the most basic maintenance is a pain.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyK View Post
I own four Grandstands. All are 2010 or 2011. I did own one 2009 which all the updates were made, etc. It was ok but it just seemed little things kept going wrong. I wouldn't buy an 09. There is a big difference between the 09s and the 2010s. I guess if it was a smoking deal an 09 might be worth it if you have some skills and patience. I was once told that the ones with metal belt covers are to be avoided. I don't know if I have ever seen an 09 with the plastic belt covers though.
This unit is an 09 that does have plastic belt covers on it. Does Toro pay for these updates or do I have to poney up for the parts and labor? Also, I read that somewhere in 09 they made update changes during the production run. Is there a Serial Number and above that would include the updates already. Thanks for all the help and really helps to have people that know these products and all their flaws.

Tags
grandstand , stander , toro