Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
Something that really bothers me is doing quotes for the one time things that are about $40 dollar jobs. You show up and there are a couple other cheap-o lawn companies there doing a quote for aeration or something. After traveling 15 minutes out of my way to get there it's hard to not be really annoyed. I'm about ready to stop offering aeration to people that aren't my weekly clients. Does anyone have a good solution?
Screen the calls
Old 04-01-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty View Post
yea well i tryed to price to my opperation costs and ppl dont want to pay around here. I did 10 estimates, and only one agreed for 18 dollars on less then an 1/4 acre and then he called me back today and said that his grandson will mow his lawn. Which I think is a line a bs, i just plain and simplely lost it to the guy from last year that was doing it for 16.50. bc thats where he was stating that he was charged last year and showed the contract. i explained that i offerd edging once a month and he agreed to 18.00 signed contract and also agreed to a spring clean up for 80 dollars bc it hasnt been cleaned since last year still old leaves and fallen trees in the lawn. every other qoute is the same way I was well over priced. Even at 18 im still to expensensive.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty View Post
yea well i tryed to price to my opperation costs and ppl dont want to pay around here. I did 10 estimates, and only one agreed for 18 dollars on less then an 1/4 acre and then he called me back today and said that his grandson will mow his lawn. Which I think is a line a bs, i just plain and simplely lost it to the guy from last year that was doing it for 16.50. bc thats where he was stating that he was charged last year and showed the contract. i explained that i offerd edging once a month and he agreed to 18.00 signed contract and also agreed to a spring clean up for 80 dollars bc it hasnt been cleaned since last year still old leaves and fallen trees in the lawn. every other qoute is the same way I was well over priced. Even at 18 im still to expensensive.
Move to Hollywood I guess?
Keep your head up friends.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnman_scott View Post
Dont give up, the good accounts are out there, just keep at it and you will find them. I see your from Rochester. Do you know Steve? He is like 19 or 20 and does about $2million a year, thats what he says anyway.
Who is Steve?
Old 04-05-2013, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
Screen the calls

This ^^^^^^

This saves the time and headaches. I'm not perfect at it but if you set up a bunch of questions to ask people before you agree to come out to look at their job it can eliminate them quickly.

I've made the mistake:

"Hello can you give me a quote for lawn mowing?"

"Sure give me your address and I'll come out to see."

Sure enough a lot turn out to be me wasting fuel, O2, and time. It's a process to work on and continually improve so you don't need to waste time. I mean you can always tell people your minimum and you'll get an ok or a nice click of the phone hanging up.

I don't have all the answers but I know a lot of bad leads come from paper advertising where better leads come from people who visit my website. People who find my site or choose to visit it before they call already make the effort to see what you offer. Those that call off the list of companies in the paper just want low prices.

Lastly just walk away from work that doesn't make you money and get rid of the people you currently have that make you no money for those that can. The problem is when you are "starving" you take any and everything. When you are doing well is when advertising is awesome. You can pick and choose. I have it easy as this is not a full time gig, yet, and I will only cherry pick people. It'll go one of two ways. I'll get enough quality customers that I can try and jump into this or realize it's just not going to work out because the quality is not there for customers. Can't force things that can't happen..
Old 04-05-2013, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Whoa, old thread