Register free!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any tips on permagreen magnum b1b

I picked up a 2006 magnum b1b with 978hrs to replace my ultra se. I needed something bigger. It didn't come with spray pump because the previous owner took it off when it went bad and only used it to spread granular. Anyway, I put on a new pump from permagreen, and it won't spray at all. I opened the bleed valve by the shift lever,and water pours out of there, but cant get a drop out of the nozzles, even after i took them off. Is there a valve underneath somewhere? I opened the valve on the bottom of the tank, but still doesnt work.
Also, do any of you experts have any tips on how to set it up and how much trimec or vessel you put in a full tank? And what parts should I keep on hand, and what issues should I look out for?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm new at this and just picked up a northern turf industries ss-220. You might have already checked it but if it has a strainer it could be plugged up. Something pretty easy to overlook.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

take the outlet hose off the pump and try it had the same problem after i put a new pump on
Old 03-08-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Air locked. Perhaps you need to prime the pump. If there is air in the system it probably cannot suck fluid up from the tank pickup. Use a hose and try to force some water through the system with pressure. Make sure the belt is turning it OK. If necessary, use a water hose and try to force some water backwards from the nozzles through the system. Hoses could be plugged due to sediment, if it was not used in a long time. You can, if needed, replace the hoses with new vinyl tubing. No braided reinforcement is necessary--pressure is low.
Tell us what happened.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

there is a knob that you can turn the spray on and off under the tank to the right if your standing on the sulky.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I turned the knob on.. Took me a minute to see it, but it still didn't spray
Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Hopefully you've got it worked out by now. Airlocks seem to be pretty common, especially between rinsing out. But, the bleed valve down by the shifter you explained always eventually got things primed for me.

I haven't had any problems with mine, but the best advice I could give is to keep the system flushed out and clean after every use and put some antifreeze in the tank when you're not spraying. I like to think this keeps the pump lubricated a little allowing it to circulate through the aggitation hose, along with most importantly not letting the pump run dry during granular applications.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I ran it for an hour today spreading 5 bags of fertilizer. When i tried it this evening, it seems to be spraying fine. But now theres an oil leak, can't tell if its on engine or the gearbox
Old 04-05-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Take a careful look at the tranny. On my Ultra, the fertilizer accumulated on top of the cooling fins and cavities and corrosion ate through the aluminum outer housing. Repair the hole with epoxy or silicone sealer. Add oil to replace whatever was lost. 90wt gear oil.

Tags
magnum , permagreen , spray , tips