Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

damn, this is pretty simple...the OP asked what most charge to lay mulch per hour...most answers, which doesn't surprise me, were we don't charge an hourly rate to lay mulch, it is simply by the yard...around here mulch is installed for around $65-$80 per yard and most landscaping per hour is $35-$50...i would consider laying mulch landscaping, and obviously you would add the cost of the mulch on top of the hourly rate...so this answers the question whichever way you look at it

i agree on charging per yard, not by the hour
Old 04-06-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Mulch is a *****. Make your money$$$$. We get 60.00 a yard and pay $25.00 and thats an easy install. If we have to wheel barrow mulch for any distance or up hills it goes up to 65.00 to 70 per yard. Most customers want beds edged also. Charge for that. People hire us because they dont want to do it. By the time a home owner pays $38 bucks retail a yard and has it delivered they are up to roughly $48.00. You know joe homeowner is going to go buy a new rake and gloves and wheel barrow to do the job also. Now hes up to $58.00 a yard roughly. And buy the time he buys all the Ben Gay because his back is killing him, your worth your asking price. I wouldn't give it away by doing it hourly. I also remind the customer how much work it is and how much the retail price is while talking with them.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Never been a fan on the 'per yard installed' pricing. We can maybe do this with a tree install job for example (per tree installed,) but never mulch.

No two mulch jobs are EVER the same. And then there's black, brown, cedar, pine straw, cyprus..... I would hate to use a blanket formula for mulch without truly figuring the labor required for each different job and it's challenges. I take into account all job logistics when figuring labor.

We always price

LABOR
MATERIALS

And when you have a 4 man crew on a mulch job all day, the "price per yard" doesn't mesh with labor/material pricing bundles.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Never been a fan on the 'per yard installed' pricing. We can maybe do this with a tree install job for example (per tree installed,) but never mulch.

No two mulch jobs are EVER the same. And then there's black, brown, cedar, pine straw, cyprus..... I would hate to use a blanket formula for mulch without truly figuring the labor required for each different job and it's challenges. I take into account all job logistics when figuring labor.

We always price

LABOR
MATERIALS

And when you have a 4 man crew on a mulch job all day, the "price per yard" doesn't mesh with labor/material pricing bundles.
I suspect you're losing money by charging by the hour instead of by the yard.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-07-2013, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
I suspect you're losing money by charging by the hour instead of by the yard.
You know my hourly prices for a crew? And my wholesale bulk mulch mark-ups?

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

there really is no difference either way guys. labor and materials seperate is or should be equal to the flat rate of per yard if figured correctly for each job. it doesn't have to be the same flat rate for every job. it can change based on what materials are being used, how many people working, and so forth.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post

We always price

LABOR
MATERIALS

I used charge by the yard and got schooled, now we are time and material and has worked out great, we are on the path to go over last year on mulch use already.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

usually $70-$100 / yard + delivery fee. if your mulch is close to the flower bed you could do 2+ yards / hour.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am confused I have been landscaping for 16 years...i can spend as much time on prep work as the mulching....edging beds, weeds out etc...
Old 05-21-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

i charge the same price i would charge for anything else. there's an hourly rate for the crew, an hourly rate for the crew's equipment, and an hourly rate for the operator and truck that delivers the mulch. Then, there's O&P on top of that. This question can't really be answered unless you know what you need to charge to cover your costs and earn a profit.

sorry to be a buzzkill.