Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
I can see that.

My thinking is that the white from the limestone/white rock reflects the light up to plant thus helping to create a scorching condition on the plants themselves.

Then you have black granite that absorbs heat and can create a heat sink in the beds and scorching the roots.

But, it's all about location, availability and soil conditions.

And, not discussing it in our MG training just kinda goes in line with this lady saying she is an MG and giving out false information.

I know that IL start with a high pH,,, whereas our soils are a bit below average... If your area is in the high pH part of the country,,, that would explain your MG friend's comment...

But I'm curious,,, did you ever see a 'white stone bed' languish due to pH issues???

If people understood that most of what they hear/learn are simply thinking points rather than universal truth,,, that would make horticulture workable w/out all the bickering and high-mindedness of those who believe they are educated...

I lost a client from who summered here from the Chicago area, becuz I made a comment that she may want to add a bit of lime when we cleaned up the pine needles...
Of course her knowledge of IL soils,,, trumped the longtime practice of h.o.s from this area...
Old 04-06-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
I can see that.

My thinking is that the white from the limestone/white rock reflects the light up to plant thus helping to create a scorching condition on the plants themselves.

Then you have black granite that absorbs heat and can create a heat sink in the beds and scorching the roots.

But, it's all about location, availability and soil conditions.

And, not discussing it in our MG training just kinda goes in line with this lady saying she is an MG and giving out false information.

With respect to heat, I would be more concerned with the rock (any rock) holding heat, raising the temperature around the plants and increasing ET.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thumbs up RE: Master Gardener question

"Master Gardener" is a good credential to have. But "Certified Arborist" is the Gold Standard credential to possess in this business.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I took the master gardener course last winter. it was nice. I learned about plants, grass, fertilizer, pesticide. they have a large book with a lot of information. taking a landscaping course at your local college might be more beneficial. I haven't really got any business from it- technically you aren't allowed to advertise that youre a master gardener to make money. You can get a special license plate. I have made some connections from it
Old 11-20-2013, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

people "think" I'm a master gardener.lol
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

CP, I'm with right with you. I wanted to be more than just a mow guy. I am in classes now and it's awesome. I am learning so much. You can't make money on it per their rules, like put it on business cards, trailer, ect. But you can tell customers about it or place on bio page and stuff. The knowledge learned is great. I would pay ten times what I did for the education that you get. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn or help volunteer. In 2013 our community MG garden donated 2,000lbs of produce to local food pantry. Good luck, Scott
Old 11-20-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I am new to this forum, planning on attending the MG program in Feb. I feel that not only it will be a great education, but a good way to meet people in our area. The more people you know, the more business/referrals you get. Just my opinion. At least that's what I am hoping.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I held off going through the program after I learned about all the volunteer hrs, but have decided to go ahead with it for the knowledge anyway.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't do the volunteer hours to get officially branded as a MG. I guess I still could. The problem is I had all the free time in January/ December, but they didn't want us volunteering then. Im not too worried. 45 hours of volunteering is what you had to do..
Thanks
Old 11-20-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

The volunteering averages less than an hour a week. You can give speeches to churches, schools, and the like during colder months to get hours. Family gathering? Answer questions for thirty minutes and that counts too. Neighbors, friends, ect. It's all honor system so some could cheat I guess, but it's just one of the things in life that you will get from it what you put into it. Just my thoughts. Good luck guys