Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2013, 02:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I dont know, at least you got a email as blunt and harsh as it was, then theirs when you submit a proposal and they go dark they don't contact you and a week later just as your thinking about makeing a follow up call , you see someone else doing the work.....both scenarios blow
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2013, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Atleast you got a responce, and why sugar coat it? In that persons mind you were higher then what "they" thought the job should be. I'd rather get a responce like that then none at all, or a nastygram . I don't see where it was all that bad, it was up front and probably in there opinion honest. In away nice to see someone not being PC correct or not giving an answer at all. More then likely they'll learn that the work doesn't come for free and if they want it done correct it will cost. On the other hand maybe they got burnt before on a contracting job, and are leery of contracters all together? I know that it has happened to me in the past, and I'm sure I'm not alone.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Member

big dreams, no money is a common occurence.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20/20 View Post
Atleast you got a responce, and why sugar coat it? In that persons mind you were higher then what "they" thought the job should be. I'd rather get a responce like that then none at all, or a nastygram . I don't see where it was all that bad, it was up front and probably in there opinion honest. In away nice to see someone not being PC correct or not giving an answer at all. More then likely they'll learn that the work doesn't come for free and if they want it done correct it will cost. On the other hand maybe they got burnt before on a contracting job, and are leery of contracters all together? I know that it has happened to me in the past, and I'm sure I'm not alone.
I'm as anti-sugar coating as they come. LOL - look at the thread where someone yesterday spent 5 minutes typing to tell me all about myself! LOL (then he lost his effectiveness with stooping to curse words)

The lady was being nasty she probably passes big trucks in unsafe manner only to advance one car length!!

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 04-02-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I'm as anti-sugar coating as they come. LOL - look at the thread where someone yesterday spent 5 minutes typing to tell me all about myself! LOL (then he lost his effectiveness with stooping to curse words)
I didn't see the post. I allways get a chuckle out of those that feel they're getting their point accross by cursing, or those that feel if they use the "F" bomb every other word it'll make them look superior

Quote:
The lady was being nasty she probably passes big trucks in unsafe manner only to advance one car length!!

Posted via Mobile Device
Well you know her better then any of us, so I can't argue your point. I was just shedding another way to look at it. It is a dog eat dog world
Old 04-02-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It can get really agravating sometimes. Just last week I met with a neighbor of mine who recently moved in.... "Hey mr landscaper come over one night and give me an estimate" he proceeded to tell me how he doesn't want the Taj Mahal, he will remove the shrubs to save money etc etc... He says he needs to be at 2k budget. I draw up a plan, (after he called me 2 days after our initial visit to see if I had it finished yet) and met with him. After I left, I got a text "very professional, but its out of the budget, maybe next year" now mind you I came in under the budget he gave me..... Its amazing even neighbors don't value your time and think you will just come and give them a free design (which I obviously did, but it was only because it was a neighbor. i do not leave designs unless i leave with a deposit check) Can't wait for a week from now when I see him trying to install my landscape plan.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

You are right. I read this thread last night and this AM. I get declined on a proposal.

Quote: "You guys have been great at planning our backyard. But after talking we are going to wait until next year to do anything else. We have a lot of other stuff going on right now and need to save our pennies."

A politically correct and nice way of saying you are to high.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I had priced some work for some people. And this is the e-mail in it's entirety that the woman sent me this am (without her name which I omitted)

"No thank you. This estimate is way too high."

I got the same e-mail from someone except they said "Thank you for your time but your Waayyyyy to high". I thought the emphasis on the way was a bit much. I really just had to laugh at there e-mail, some people.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

But you have to take it in stride.... remember the good ones also. Just got this the other day.

"Jeff BTW… so you know I had three quotes. *****'s some guy from Riverside and you. You came in 2nd in price but knowing you had a degree in landscaping and knew the plant life names made you stand out. *****’s been doing my landscaping for 12 years and he’s a nice guy. His guys do really nice work and are pretty friendly. I hope you and I can do business after this and Ill spread the word here in the development which goes a long way. Thanks again."

Its funny too, because after someone sends you a nice note like this, you will take care of them better, and look forward to working with them. ( Im not positive, but I don't think my college degree was in 'landscaping')