Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-06-2013, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The full carb for that model runs $121 from Redmax. I would try and rebuild the carb first and if that does not work THEN get a new carb.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You don't need to get the carb from a redmax dealer. It's either a zamz or walbro carb most likely. It will have some numbers etched into the body of the carb. Example is cu1-k43 (or something close to that) is a common zama carb on Echo's. After you have that number it gets cheaper since now you google it or call Jthomas or Jacks Small engines to order the carb. Guessing it would be had for under $50. When your on the phone with them ask them to send a air/fuel filter, some line, and the grommet (if the grommet is actually bad). Guessing total price shipped to you will be under $75 for all the parts needed and it will take you 15 to 30 mins to do the first time.

You could save $25 in that total by buying a carb kit instead of the carb. But in my opinion the time it takes and the odds a rookie gets it right isn't worth trying to save the $25.

Don't get me wrong as I have a great relationship with my dealer but when it comes to small orders/repairs it comes down to is it worth his time to order parts and fix it to make $40. Most of the time it isn't.

The lesson you should take from buying the used trimmer is:
1. If you can't/don't repair it yourself you are not saving money.
2. Buying new is the best route to go on handheld units $600 or less.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All of this is good advise for you. We always buy trimmers, edgers and blowers new. We usually get 3-4 years out of them before buying new. That way you stay up with technology and don't end up with a machine that you can't get parts for. They are almost disposable now a days, which is sad. But they keep getting lighter, and more fuel efficient. Everyone is different, but we like to keep new stuff verse trying to make one last for 10 years. I feel it looks better to the customer also when you pull up with new stuff every couple of years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2013, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck finding it much cheaper new! It is a WYA-53A Walbro carb.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw man View Post
Good luck finding it much cheaper new! It is a WYA-53A Walbro carb.
It didn't take but a few seconds to find it a lot cheaper-

http://compare.ebay.com/like/390451661256
Old 04-06-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
All of this is good advise for you. We always buy trimmers, edgers and blowers new. We usually get 3-4 years out of them before buying new. That way you stay up with technology and don't end up with a machine that you can't get parts for. They are almost disposable now a days, which is sad. But they keep getting lighter, and more fuel efficient. Everyone is different, but we like to keep new stuff verse trying to make one last for 10 years. I feel it looks better to the customer also when you pull up with new stuff every couple of years.
Posted via Mobile Device
It just isn't true at all that stuff won't last for a long time. And the technology hasn't changed hardly at all except those 4 mix which are loser technolgy. I wish I could get all this stuff you guys throw away because I am getting 7 - 10 years of of stuff. And buying leading edge stuff can burn a person(i.e. BR600 blower). Oh I am Echo guy.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ok,
Let me go through what you said about my post. First of all, stuff doesn't last as long as it use to. It just isn't build as well as things were in the past. Technology doesn't apply just to engines, although they are more file efficient. Think about plastics in today's time. Way better. Stronger, lighter, more heat resistant. Engines get more quiet, stronger. Rubber handles uv rays better. The most simplest, shortest way of answering you is, any company should be pricing their services to replace equipment every couple of years. I don't want to pull up to a job site with a 1972 model trimmer just because it hasn't died yet. We like to keep up with technology, have nice equipment on the truck, it's faster and easier to get the job done, which means more money. The original post was about a young guy in a trimmer bind. The cheapest solution was to get a carb and replace it himself. Now that's fine for someone just starting out and trying to get going, but once you establish yourself and get some cash flow going, you want to rotate out equipment every couple of years depending on use. Now you said you get 7-10 years out of a trimmer. You must be the only one running it on a couple of properties a week if I had to guess. I know first hand that a trimmer being used day in and day out for hundreds of hours a season by workers will usually never last 7-10 years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2013, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
ok,
let me go through what you said about my post. First of all, stuff doesn't last as long as it use to. It just isn't build as well as things were in the past. Technology doesn't apply just to engines, although they are more file efficient. Think about plastics in today's time. Way better. Stronger, lighter, more heat resistant. Engines get more quiet, stronger. Rubber handles uv rays better. The most simplest, shortest way of answering you is, any company should be pricing their services to replace equipment every couple of years. I don't want to pull up to a job site with a 1972 model trimmer just because it hasn't died yet. We like to keep up with technology, have nice equipment on the truck, it's faster and easier to get the job done, which means more money. The original post was about a young guy in a trimmer bind. The cheapest solution was to get a carb and replace it himself. Now that's fine for someone just starting out and trying to get going, but once you establish yourself and get some cash flow going, you want to rotate out equipment every couple of years depending on use. Now you said you get 7-10 years out of a trimmer. You must be the only one running it on a couple of properties a week if i had to guess. I know first hand that a trimmer being used day in and day out for hundreds of hours a season by workers will usually never last 7-10 years.
posted via mobile device

amen!!!!!!!
7x16 dual axel trailer
32" Toro Proline WB w/ jungle wheel
42" Murray 17hp LT
Echo WE
Shindawa Stick Edge
Stihl 550 Blower:
275 LBS of pure elbow grease
weightlifter:
Old 04-07-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member