Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 AM
JFGauvreau's Avatar
JFGauvreau JFGauvreau is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,290
@ Grassmechanic : Yea we sell a lot of our resources with the states, I believe we have a good relation ship with USA, and I like it that way. We have a solid army forces, but you guys just have WAY more tanks and choppers! lol

One thing I hate about Canada being to multiculturalism is they let outsiders join our government system, the RCMP (our national police) and they let them wear their stupid symbols that represent THEIR country when they are IN our country. For me it makes no sense what so ever. RCMP is a police that represents the history of Canadians, not Arabs with turbans! I am not racist, but if we let to many outsiders with different beliefs into powerful system such as the RCMP, Federal Government, Supreme Court etc. Then our Country is no longer being controlled or ruled by Canadians. Anyways enough with the rant


@phasthound: I shall wait for this product to be available in the stores, and I will test it out myself, thanks for the input. I understand all the concept behind keeping a healthy grass is the best way to eliminate weeds. But my scenario is totally different. Weeds have been winning over the past 3 years. I'm dealing with lawns that have a minimum of 50% weed, but most of the time it is 75%, + very hard clay soils around here, extreme harsh winters with salt and no herbicides available. So for the major part of the home owners the best would be to start over with fresh sod or hydro-seeding, but everyone is to cheap.

Everything I can think of about cultivar practices only help the weeds as much as the grass when your dealing with 75% weeds in a lawn. A lot of it has to do with timing your services properly according to the time of the year, soil temp, weather etc. which is also tricky. Water is another issue, no one water theirs lawn here because of the water fees (which is not so bad actually). So if your going to do top dressing and over-seeding, you pretty much have to plan ahead for damp conditions because you can never rely on home owners keeping their lawn damp.
__________________
Gauvreau Property Maintenance
Commercial & Residential asphalt services
Interlock & Landscape
Complete lawn care services
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Grassmechanic's Avatar
Grassmechanic Grassmechanic is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Getting back to weed control in Canada; seeding with the proper turf type, mowing high, and proper nutrition, irrigation and aeration will help reduce many weeds. You will soon have another tool to use in Canada, ADIOS Weed Killer will most likely be approved for use this year.

McGill University http://www.mcgill.ca/macdonald/ did the research in developing this all natural selective post-emergent herbicide. McGill also owns the patent.
It was approved in the US last year and is EPA Exempt. We sent samples for field tests to several of our landscapers & LCOs and they were pleased with the results.
ADIOS is DSMA, an organo aresenate compound. I don't see how a known carcinogen will be approved when a relatively safe chemical such as glyphosate is banned. Also, it is banned in the U.S.

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_...DIST_NR=010155

But, stranger things have happened...
__________________
Mike
"the Constitution is a charter of negative liberties" Barack Hussein Obama

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGauvreau View Post
... Weeds have been winning over the past 3 years. I'm dealing with lawns that have a minimum of 50% weed, but most of the time it is 75%, + very hard clay soils around here, extreme harsh winters with salt and no herbicides available. So for the major part of the home owners the best would be to start over with fresh sod or hydro-seeding, but everyone is to cheap.

Everything I can think of about cultivar practices only help the weeds as much as the grass when your dealing with 75% weeds in a lawn. A lot of it has to do with timing your services properly according to the time of the year, soil temp, weather etc. which is also tricky. Water is another issue, no one water theirs lawn here because of the water fees (which is not so bad actually). So if your going to do top dressing and over-seeding, you pretty much have to plan ahead for damp conditions because you can never rely on home owners keeping their lawn damp.
There is no reason for the lawns getting worse for 3 years in a row... I did the first 15 years of my working carreer with NO 'cides at all and still improved them over time...
It was when the h.o.s wanted the 'perfect',,, lawn that 'cides came into vogue...

I did not have even 15% weeds back then, even on the hardest clay soils or the sandiest sandy soils...

How is your Dormant Seeding conditions looking??? Looking hopeful or non-existant???
Is it a tool that you use to develop healthy lawns??? blaming the client for failure isn't going to accomplish anything... I'm not trying to offend you,,, but it doesn't sound like you're up to speed at doing EVERYTHING possible... if you already know it all then I guess I'll shutup from now on...

We lost a lot of grass last year because the h.o.s didn't irrigate adequately and MOST of our grass plantings last Fall didn't even try to come up... but I did dormant seed before winter and I'm expecting that when the ice is gone,,, there will be germination a few weeks later... If I have to do some hand weeding,,, so be it... I do not allow 50% weeds,,, no matter what...

There are ways of making cool-season lawns excellent and bringing them into maturity is the best anyways... 'cides are crutches for weak and dependant lawns anyways,,, so the sooner you deal with that reality the sooner you'll find a way to deal with the ban,,, legally...
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-07-2013, 11:16 AM
phasthound's Avatar
phasthound phasthound is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mt. Laurel, NJ
Posts: 4,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGauvreau View Post


@phasthound: I shall wait for this product to be available in the stores, and I will test it out myself, thanks for the input. I understand all the concept behind keeping a healthy grass is the best way to eliminate weeds. But my scenario is totally different. Weeds have been winning over the past 3 years. I'm dealing with lawns that have a minimum of 50% weed, but most of the time it is 75%, + very hard clay soils around here, extreme harsh winters with salt and no herbicides available. So for the major part of the home owners the best would be to start over with fresh sod or hydro-seeding, but everyone is to cheap.

Everything I can think of about cultivar practices only help the weeds as much as the grass when your dealing with 75% weeds in a lawn. A lot of it has to do with timing your services properly according to the time of the year, soil temp, weather etc. which is also tricky. Water is another issue, no one water theirs lawn here because of the water fees (which is not so bad actually). So if your going to do top dressing and over-seeding, you pretty much have to plan ahead for damp conditions because you can never rely on home owners keeping their lawn damp.
My gut reaction is that something is seriously wrong with the lawn care industry if it has not been able to adapt better to the tough regulations. I understand how difficult it is provide good results without pesticides, but many companies in the States are successfully doing so.

It does involve a complete program of cultural methods and product usage. And it is a process, not an event. But it is being done.
__________________
Barry Draycott

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
When the first words out of the mouth calls me a horse's @... ,,, I usually ignore them,,, but sometimes I respond in kind,,, either way those comments do not come from PEOPLE...
Errrr, I was calling your unsubstantiated rambling horse shiit. Get it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
When I criticize CGM,,, it is based on its merit, not on my feelings...
and as long as you are here tell us about the success stories of CGM and how it prevented CG and allowed you to germinate turf grass over the 2 years required to get 80% function...
We'd love pictures also...
We love substantiated, scientifically valid claims and data as well, like what you see coming from Christian's, not some yahoo on a forum throwing around claims and accusations without a shred of evidence to support his assertions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Speaking of gov't corruption and waste,,, check out the money going to IA Uni. to recreate(artificially) a pre-m becuz artificially created pre-m is unacceptable...
I don't know if that is technically irony or not,,, so instead of calling it ironic I just call it stupid... if anyone is feeling 'bashed' becuz I ridicule gov't waste, then I guess that is how you feel... not being PC about some pansy's emotions,,, is not the same as bashing...
So you know where all of Christian's research grants came from and what research they were for? I haven't seen you post that information ..... perhaps you would like to enlighten us with it?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-07-2013, 11:40 PM
RigglePLC's Avatar
RigglePLC RigglePLC is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 9,561
I found that the new cultivar "Granite" (of 2007), is the most dense listed for Pickseed.
http://pickseed.com/usa/Products/PDF/granite_ts.pdf

Pehaps it would be resistant to weed invasion.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Grassmechanic's Avatar
Grassmechanic Grassmechanic is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I found that the new cultivar "Granite" (of 2007), is the most dense listed for Pickseed.
http://pickseed.com/usa/Products/PDF/granite_ts.pdf

Pehaps it would be resistant to weed invasion.
The most weed resistant grass that I've seen at MSU field test is "poa supina". This grass choked everything out, excelled in poor soil, and is very durable. It's not cheap, but even with a blend with only 5-10%, it will become the dominant grass in a few years. In my personal experience, the tall fescues seem to be the pretty good at competing with weeds.
__________________
Mike
"the Constitution is a charter of negative liberties" Barack Hussein Obama

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:03 AM.

Page generated in 0.08719 seconds with 9 queries