Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy29 View Post

I pay a CPA $30 a year to do my taxes. ....
Are you missing a zero?

Nobody drops their gate for $30. A CPA is not going to pick up his/her keyboard for $30.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

uh I drop my gate for $25.

and no I'm not missing a zero. but you have to remember this guy does my taxes once a year. meaning the rest of the year he never even gives me a thought. after december 31 I gather all my info make copies and hand it to him and he does the rest, sends it back to me with instructions on where to sign, how much to pay to who and where to send the paperwork.

my dad pays $100 a year from the same CPA. again, same situation. the CPA never gives us a thought or hears a word from us the entire year after taxes are done.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

and no I'm not missing a zero. but you have to remember this guy does my taxes once a year. meaning the rest of the year he never even gives me a thought. after december 31 I gather all my info make copies and hand it to him and he does the rest, sends it back to me with instructions on where to sign, how much to pay to who and where to send the paperwork.

my dad pays $100 a year from the same CPA. again, same situation. the CPA never gives us a thought or hears a word from us the entire year after taxes are done.
This logic is why you'll be solo forever, however, for some reason you want to be, so there ya go.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've owned several businesses, I got into lawn care to get away from the headache of employees but I can understand a younger person wanting to go large as an LCO. I'm 1 year away from retirement so I don't have the fire in the belly a young person would have anymore. I'm enjoying the fresh air, exercise and grandkids these days.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

and no I'm not missing a zero. but you have to remember this guy does my taxes once a year. meaning the rest of the year he never even gives me a thought. ....
Remember, a CPA typically will bill out his/her time at least $100/hr. For $30, you will have 15-20 minutes of his/her time. Do you really think somebody can assemble your information, and get it e-filed in 15 minutes? If you think so, then you are getting ripped off because of him/her is not giving your data any kind of scrutiny on where you can utilize taxing policy to your advantage.

It matters not if him/her spends any time with you between tax seasons. This is only relevant if he/she is on retainer, and that is not your case.

It is time to look for a new tax preparer, one that give you service you need for your business. Charging $30 to do a business tax return, for IRS, State, and any local earned income, is way out of line for a business owner.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Old 04-08-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

^ Because that's what I do when someone gives me wise advise....not.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
^ Because that's what I do when someone gives me wise advise....not.
I don't consider it wise advice because I've used the same accountant for the last 7 years.

my dad has had his own business for over 31 years and has used that very same accountant. my dad is a doctor.

I'm not gonna take advice from a guy on the internet over my own father who is living proof the accountant I use is good.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

205mx. Here's the deal. Going from single to crews is tough but way worth it. The reason it's tough on here is because there are so many single op guys who think they know. The truth is being a single op is cool. But when you are trying to give advice to guys who are three times there size. That's when the problems arise. So go ahead and grow. I have been a single op and I now have guys that work for me. Having guys is the best.
I remember when I was real active on hear a few years ago. A guy private message me. He asked some questions about business. He only had nine accounts. Within a few months he was on every post giving advice about every aspect of business. That's when I split. Nine accounts that's like half a day for me and your going to give me advice. So be careful who you take advice from on here. Go for it. Last year I took four vacations in the summer. A single op generally can't do that. Good luck myfriend
Old 04-08-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frue View Post
205mx. Here's the deal. Going from single to crews is tough but way worth it. The reason it's tough on here is because there are so many single op guys who think they know. The truth is being a single op is cool. But when you are trying to give advice to guys who are three times there size. That's when the problems arise. So go ahead and grow. I have been a single op and I now have guys that work for me. Having guys is the best.
I remember when I was real active on hear a few years ago. A guy private message me. He asked some questions about business. He only had nine accounts. Within a few months he was on every post giving advice about every aspect of business. That's when I split. Nine accounts that's like half a day for me and your going to give me advice. So be careful who you take advice from on here. Go for it. Last year I took four vacations in the summer. A single op generally can't do that. Good luck myfriend
Well said sir.